Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:21 AM   #11

blindsight wrote:
Quote:
Woodhawk - I don't think miniDV is truely "lossless" digital video, but it definitely has less digital compression and (currently) better quality than MPEG-2 and MPEG-4. I am quite sure that with increasing faster and more powerful processers and better compression algorithyms, it will be surpassed. I guess the only truely "lossless" digital video would be the original AVI, which are made up of individual frames played in a sequence like a flipping picture book.
From what I've read the AVI files that I get off the MiniDV camcorder truely are individual frames. Each frame is compressed individually. This is what permits the frame level editing. MPEG format uses an compression technique which records a "delta" between frames in the video. Perodically (every 15 frames or so) a "keyframe" is generated which represents a full frame of the video. The rest of the frames are sort of "interpolated" by the compression algorithm.

I'm certainly no expert in this area. I've just read a few articles on the subject and the general consesus of opinion is that capturing video in MiniDV format is superior to the MPEG2 format using in DVD camcorders for the above reasons. Given that MPEG4 provides even more compression the difference between MiniDV and MPEG4 is even greater.

WoodHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:09 AM   #12

Specs Click hereclick me

I see we all have excellent opinions, and hoping when it is released someone willfind their way in here to truely give us the real opinion of what this is all about.

Mpeg4 avi was the file size I liked, then mpeg4 asf was the next step further.

Mpeg2 we're saying is not acceptable, but will i be filming in avi, asf, .mov that is where I woudtruely like to know, when I re-read the threads of the spec

Card Slot SD / SDHC Still Pictures JPEG picture size : 640 x 480 0.3 MEGA
DPOF Max 999 stills
Consecutive Photoshot
-
PictBridge Yes

RECORDING SECTION

Format MPEG2 (Motion Picture)
Recording Mode XP (10Mbps / VBR), SP (5Mbps / VBR), LP (2.5Mbps / VBR)

Playback Mode XP (10Mbps / VBR), SP (5Mbps / VBR), LP (2.5Mbps / VBR)
Variable Speed Search
-
Audio Recording System MPEG1 - Layer2
Audio Dubbing
-
Counter Yes

I understand it is a sd card unit, andcan fill a 1 gig card of the same stature , the MPVR, at its lowest rate?

I see it is , or is it a jpeg frame by frame shot video @ XX fps?

again it is a neat design, and back to the beginning of the drawing boards, we taken steps foward to ge the hybrids to where they are today, and just went right back to step one LOL.

HDTV's and widescreens are here 720x540 resolution framing are needed over a 640x480 diagonal view recorder?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 11:49 AM   #13

Woodhawk,

You are correct in that miniDV has the advantage of easy editing and quality but I was talking about mini 'DVD' not mini 'DV'. Against this format the Panasonic clearly has advantages. In anycase, whether we like it or not, mini DV, for consumers at least, is on its way out.

" It will be some time before we a 13GB SD card that is as cheap as a MiniDV tape"

But we already have Hard Drive camcorders with more than enough space to record more than two hours of mini DV format but it seems they are choosing to go with MPEG2 or even AVCHD. Quite why they don't give an option to record in DV format I don't know.

You are also forgetting that sd cards are reusable so even if their initial cost is higher, over time they will pay for themselves. Considering when I first got my ipaq 3670, a 1GB flash card was $1000 and they are now under $10 and today's capacities are falling at a much faster pace.

Some view the ability to change tapes unlike a HD device an advantage, but for most people 2 or 3 hours is generally enough even for vacations unless you are going to make a documentary! I'm saying this as someone who likes to video everything, so having a limitation on video length may actually be an advantage Even so, the video time is only likely to increase with newer HD models. It's not like we are ever going to be restricted to the days of Super 8 film with their 3 minute cartridges. Of course you could have just bought a whole bunch of them with you in that case, but 40 cartridges for a couple of hours of film would soon show how luxurious even a low capacity HD device would be :lol:
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:11 PM   #14

If yoyu are goingto say $10.00 cards please be certain the sd card is 10.00 and not of a special purchasewith a camera. 1 gigs go as low as a 3 pkg for under 40 breaking a close price of 13 per card.
Old Feb 18, 2007, 1:48 PM   #15

Regardless you guys should know what makes a "hybrid" a "hybrid" and glancing at this panasonic makes me wonder about the price.

It takes low res stills.

No mp3 player?

And I'm sure plenty of other things as well.
MustekOwnsAiptek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:11 PM   #16

the 1st hybrid was of avi and no mp3 player as well no storage called the mustek dv2000 300 dollars
Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:55 PM   #17

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
If yoyu are goingto say $10.00 cards please be certain the sd card is 10.00 and not of a* special purchasewith a camera. 1 gigs go as low as a 3 pkg for under 40 breaking a close price of 13 per card.
Fishy,

I have seen them for as little as $8 period ie not with any special purchase. newegg.com is just one of the places I have seen them for this price.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 3:25 PM   #18

instore purchase runs around 13 per. online will break even as well, great to know thanks RGVCAM
Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:06 PM   #19

Well I guess that's just me then.

I consider a true hybrid camera one with a:

Camcorder.

Camera.

Mp3 player.

PMP capability.

MustekOwnsAiptek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 7:18 PM   #20

this a new start and love the designwe ask too much forsomething I guess