Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 15, 2007, 5:56 PM   #1

Panasonic SDR-S10. Link to site

It only records video in MPEG2 and takes low-res stills but it has a 10X optical zoom and it'san interesting concept (due out in May 2007):

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center][/align]
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2007, 6:13 PM   #2

Low resolution stills and mpeg 2 you say?...Uh I don't know about that one man.
MustekOwnsAiptek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 7:33 PM   #3

wow thi looks like a great hybrid, 2 low lux?

If you want a ton of features you are going to pay a lot of $$

so again to keep these costs down you have to give a lil back, where did they start?

in Jpeg

mpeg2 video is not bad at all, and an improvement from conventional style panasonic claimes.

640x460 res at .3 soud way to small if at 2.0 mega I say a steal.

being water repellant, able to take a fall of up to 4 feet, and have low lux and picture adjustment as wel las 10x optical zoom, and not forget, on the fly turn on/of and 1.3 sec snaps when open

that is a ton of stuff.

Love thestyle, and like to see the other model they're talking about as well

Cal Excellent find:|
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 7:43 PM   #4

Yeah, I know MOA, it's not much more versatile than a camcorder... but it's a form factorto watch since it's very small yet ithas a true 10X variable speed optical zoom (and optical focus)!

FC, I think it's able to have high sensitivity (2 lux) partly because it's sensor is low res. (optimised for video). Oh well,hopefully one day we'll haveall we want in one package... :lol:
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:00 PM   #5

yes . and this is a great start right here imitating the canon
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 10:39 PM   #6

MustekOwnsAiptek wrote:
Quote:
Low resolution stills and mpeg 2 you say?...Uh I don't know about that one man.
MPEG2 is the same format used by DVD and HDD camcorders. The advantage with this device is that it uses solid state flash memory meaning it is much more resistant to shocks not to mention they can be made much smaller and more compact ie more like a digital camera in size. Mini DVD are limited getting smaller by the size of the mini DVD media. Considering how cheap flash memory cards are becoming (1GB SD cards are now well under $10), it makes sense to use one of these devices in place of a DVD camcorder. A cheap 2GB card (Being under $20 now) is larger than a 1.4GB mini DVD disc. The media cost advantage of the mini DVD only comes into play if you plan to store your footage on it, or give it away that instant.

The low resolution stills sounds like this device may have a regular camcorder CCD design rather than using a digital camera CCD.

The only advantage that a miniDVD has over this device is the ability to give what you just recorded to someone straight away without having to transfer it to a format they can play without further expense such as a cheap DVD player.

If you merely wanted to show what you recorded straight away without giving them a copy then the DVD camcorder loses its advantage, not to mention the time a DVD camcorder takes to close the DVD session.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:18 PM   #7

For my own interest, I'd really miss being able to take decent stills, and I bet this thing has no video-in port, remote control, or mp3 player.

I expect it will be expensive, and the video clip files will be so large you'll need a very capable computer to compose a movie out of them.

Nice that it's water resistant, though, and I like the thumbwheel control.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:50 PM   #8

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
The only advantage that a miniDVD has over this device is the ability to give what you just recorded to someone straight away without having to transfer it to a format they can play without further expense such as a cheap DVD player.
Another advantage to MiniDV is that it records in a lossless format. MPEG2 and MPEG4 both use a lossy form of compression. This is why an hour of MPEG2 video takes around 4GB of space while an hour of MiniDV video takes around 13GB of space. The MiniDV format lets you do frame level editing which can't really be done in MPEG2 or MPEG4 format. It will be some time before we a 13GB SD card that is as cheap as a MiniDV tape, although at the rate prices are falling that'll probably happen some day!

For now my most important family videos will still get recorded on MiniDV. My Aiptek PDVR is great for quick "everyday" recordings. I must admit it gets used a lot more than the MiniDV camcorder.

WoodHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:20 AM   #9

Hi WoodHawk,

Yes, I should have acknowledged the miniDV and this Panasonic will take far shaper video than the mpeg4 hybrids.

What sort of computer gear, or pc power do you need to edit DV movies? Just out of curiosity, why would you be doing frame-level editing? The digital video editing programs that come with the hybrids allow you to capture 640x480 stills out of video clips, but that's about it at the frame level. You can also move through the clips frame by frame, and trim the clips at the frame you select.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2007, 12:31 AM   #10

Woodhawk - I don't think miniDV is truely "lossless" digital video, but it definitely has less digital compression and (currently) better quality than MPEG-2 and MPEG-4. I am quite sure that with increasing faster and more powerful processers and better compression algorithyms, it will be surpassed. I guess the only truely "lossless" digital video would be the original AVI, which are made up of individual frames played in a sequence like a flipping picture book.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote