Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:20 AM   #1

hi i'm a newbie to cameras in general. i don't even know if a hybird is what i'm looking for. anyway here's the scenario: recording live, unmic'ed drums in my home on video. i basically want something that will pick up fast movements and have a somewhat decent microphone. i use a plexiglass acoustic wall that i play behind and have recorded stuff before on a friends camera where the sound came out okay but the video was bad. i'm not worried about lighting because i have natural light UV lamps in my house.

any suggestions?!?!
davinmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2007, 3:45 AM   #2

welcome aboard.

1st your friend has a camera or hybrid, what is it? brand and model? you say it is alright?

1 to purchase a model it is best to keep these factors in mind

A. Vid resolution 640x480 and 720x540 for widescreen

b Pic resolution or megapixal 2 meg are the lowest, and 3 meg is the default, Interpolation can range from 2 meg through 16 neg and are totally digital.

C it is a decision you'll going have to decide on any hybrid model will do its trick, alot of members like 3 -5 do visit the site and will suggest a few models.

again welcome aboard
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 5:04 AM   #3

well he was using an expensive sony minidv or something. the mic was messed up due to leaving in a moist area. i don't have $900 to spend on a camera.

to be honest, i don't need an mp3 player, i have an ipod. i really only need a camera that takes video and stills. is that a different kind of camera? i don't really know much about anything camera related. i'd like to learn something and i've been browsing but it's confusing. thanks for the help!
davinmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 8:11 PM   #4

I've recorded First Nations drumming with my Digilife DDV-920. It did a decent job, plus it is one of the better hybrids for shooting video in dim light. The audio was not distorted from either the sheer volume, the acoustics of the room, or the tone of the sound. On the other hand, the same music recorded with my fancier Samsung i6 was off-tone, and distorted. Sounded awful.

In this case, I was in a much larger room than your situtation. Although I was much farther from the drummers, there were at least six of them. If your volume level is too high for the camera, you could put something on the mic.

And the 920 can be controlled with the remote control it comes with, which might be very handy for you.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:45 AM   #5

can be controlled the video not the sound
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote