Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 28, 2007, 4:37 AM   #11

whoops, I guess this site has restrictions on posting other site names. after the www. was cam***corder***info***.com

Sorry about that, guess I gotta read the FAQs!
kronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:22 AM   #12

Kronium,

I have a Sanyo C5 that uses MPEG4 and a Canon A710 that I believe uses the same as the new TX1. To my eye, the Canon takes better video especially distant scenery. The drawback is the large file size but memory is getting cheaper by the day and hard drives are getting larger.

I put my videos on a Panasonic DVD writer hard drive. When I get what I want I make a DVD and can then erase them.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:11 PM   #13

Setter Dog, thanks for the reply! I hope your real world comparison equates to even bigger visual differences in 720p. I'm not too worried about the storage, as I have never shot longer than 13 minutes. I have a raid 1 configuration on my desktop, and will dump all my raw footage there.

The main thing I like about this camera is the size. Being the same dimensions as a Canon Elph, you can take this thing anywhere. I'm not expecting miracles with the Video, don't need to, as I'm not a professional. But as a Dad with two small kids, the old mantra, "The best camera is the one you have with you," makes all the sense in the world to me. Thanks!

A little size comparison:
http://www.sizeasy.com/page/comp/754
Old Feb 28, 2007, 2:34 PM   #14

Kronium,

That size easy reference is very interesting. Good stuff.

I will probably be shooting only 640x480 in my TX1 since I don't have HD equipment. That's what I do now in my A710. I'm not exaggerating when I say the A710 videos are as good as my Canon DC-20 DVD camcorder,.......and much easier to handle as individual clips. You are going to be very pleased. The 4GB and 8GB cards are going to really make this a super camera.
Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 4:37 PM   #15

Yeah I plan on picking up a couple 8GB cards right off the bat. Maybe a 16 or 32GB later. I have a core2duo system, so I shoudn't have a problem editing HD. I'm just going to use Movie Maker in Vista for now. Pretty good app, and handles HD. That's all I really need at the moment.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 3:53 PM   #16

MJEPG quality is bettet then MPEG4 because it uses very little compression. What I do not like is the fact that the TX1 has a maximum video length of 13 minutes no matter how large a card you install. A 4GB SD card gives you 13 minutes of recording time. A 8GB card gives you two 13 minute videos not one continuous 26 minutevideo.

carirju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 11:01 PM   #17

Isn't this due to the Fat 32 limitation? I think it is still unknown if you can keep shooting beyond 13 minutes and have 2 or more files sitting on the card. And wouldn't it be easy just to recombine the files using software without accruing video loss? Perhaps the software that comes with the camera provides for this.
Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:42 AM   #18

I am simple, I call that editing.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 2:40 PM   #19

Canyon TX1 VS Sanyo HD2 and Panasonic LX2

http://www.**********************/digital-cameras/the-new-frontier-high-definition-video-comes-to-digital-cameras-we-pick-the-best-buy_news.html

Canon Japan -TX1 stills and video

http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/powershot/tx1/index.html

carirju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2007, 6:40 AM   #20

This link shows a Japanese review of the TX1 with sample video's.

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20070307/zooma298.htm&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dwatch%2Bimpress%2Bavwatch%26num%3D50% 26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26rls%3DGGGL,GGGL:2 006-17,GGGL:en

I would like others opinion on the video samples in HD with the girl walking through the bush/forrest - it seems like the auto focus is hunting all over the place (maybe face detection was on and it was hunting to detect and focus on a face??). The 640 x 480 clip almost seemed to focus smoother?

Secondly I've noticed a synthetic sound pop up in different places in a few of the video samples (sounds like cutlery dropped onto a plate). I'm hoping it is from pressing a button on the camera and not some camera mechanism noise being recorded??

The low light indoor video looks to me fairly poor quality also (ezsm12.mov).

Also the large 271MB sample video compilation is quite jerky when trying to film the girl walking through the street in my opinion.

Hopefully steves-digicams or dpreview will do a review soon.

Have fun trying to decipher the review or translate it

Sector7 is offline   Reply With Quote