Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 12, 2007, 6:58 AM   #21

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/digital-c...ter-242966.php

A noisy low light sample from inside PMA
Sector7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:56 PM   #22

Yeah pretty noisy, but worse,it gave me a headache, thevideo is really not smooth. That clip's stats:
Video: MJPEG 1280x720 30.00fps @ 34,913 Kbps
Audio: PCM 44100Hz stereo @ 1,411 Kbps
File size is 174,680,090 bytes for just 38 seconds of poor video!If this video consumed 9Mbps I'd say it wasbarely passable, but forsomething that consumes over 35Mbps, i'd saysit *****. Can't stand up to the Sanyo Xacti HD1, let alone the HD2.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 4:27 PM   #23

ha ha ha, now looking at the camera or hybrid. I wonder why Andrew Dice clay had one in his hands on the show, MTV'sshow, I was going to film it and place on here but I never did?

big hands a lot of troubles i say.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 2:24 PM   #24

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/revi...camcorder.html

Also try here for a brief review, photo sample and video clip.
centme37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:43 PM   #25

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bnyC7aHPvUk
carirju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:33 PM   #26

dcresource has posted sample pre-view pictures for the Canon TX1:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca.../gallery.shtml

The final review should out within the next couple weeks.

The sooner the better!

Picture quality is on a par with other 7MP Canon cameras except high ISO looks even worse than most ultra compacts like the SD series.

No video clips posted yet. Will just have to settle for now for the japanese web sites that have video posted.

wowlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:34 PM   #27

dcresource has posted sample pre-view pictures for the Canon TX1:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca.../gallery.shtml

The final review should out within the next couple weeks.

The sooner the better!

Picture quality is on a par with other 7MP Canon cameras except high ISO looks even worse than most ultra compacts like the SD series.

No video clips posted yet. Will just have to settle for now for the japanese web sites that have video posted.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:42 PM   #28

Jeff atDCRESOURCE completed his TX1 review:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_tx1-review/index.shtml

Note Jeff kinda contradicted himself on this review. At one point he mentions it as a fabulously compact camera/camcorder that's packs amazing power in a tiny package that displays excellentHDTV video butthen goes on to critic the tiny size which makes operating controls difficult for some and the small 14 minute HDTV video it can record. Huh Jeff did you expect SLR size controls on an ultra compact this small?

I don't think you would hear James Bond complaining about the size but the Russians might!

And 14 minutes is more than enough for HDTVespecially when you don't have to record ALL of an event at HDTV levels--you can easily fall back to 640 video for the 'boring' parts and use HDTV for the best parts (say, for example, when it's YOUR kids playing a big part or it's YOUR kid walking up to the podium during graduation.

In addition--many events won't allow tripods anymore because rude photographers (parents) often block others views so they quit allowing them to be used to be fair to all.

And thenlugging and holding up a big heavy camcorder that weights 6 to 10 times as much as this ultra compact just isn't practical for more than 15 minutes anyway--no one can hold up their arm that long! For those camera buffs who have never filmed an event I can guess why they missed this important point.

So with the Canon TX1--while your arm is resting--swap out the tiny SDHC card and start again (then you have easily separated 'chapters' for your video). When you get home--compress it to DIVX and merge them IF YOU WANT. It can be done with a single keystroke using ffmpeg. And because it's mjpegs you can print out each frame as a separate jpeg. That's akin to having 'RAW' pic files to process again from raw data.

And soon 8, 16, and 32 GB cards will be out. It's an easy firmware upgrade to allow folders and then allow multiple 4GB clips on a single card. Then you could easily get an hours worth on a single SDHC flash card. And they are getting cheap. I found 4GB 150X class 6 SDHC cards recently for $35.

Tapes are dead. DVD is dead. HDVD and Blue is a temporary bridge as are Hard drives.

Flash memory (new kinds in the works) is the future and newer technologies soon to be released that will hold hundreds of times more storage that a DVD, hard drive, or tape making them ALL obsolete as you will be able to get many hours of HDTV on a single card. Hard drives will be for long term storage when transferred to a PC. And holographic DVD's with hundreds of layers will store terabytes sooner than you think and will displace hard drives for really long term storage.

It's going to happen sooner than you think!

So Jeff should have granted it justice and welcomed the small size instead of critiquing it. Besides--many won't use the full HDTV quality anyway so dropping back to 640x480 will allow hours of storage oncurrent 4 GB SHDC's.

I would rather haul a TINY ultra compact and ALWAYS have it with me that not have any camera at all!!And hauling a Pany TZ3 will require a case as it's too big to pocket--so I might just forget it because the bulge doesn't look good in my pants (depends on your point of view of course).

In any event theCanon IS pocketable. Very much so. it's only 3.5 x 2.2 x 1.1 and weighs less than many ultra compact cameras with only 3X zoom and no HDTV.

I think this is going to be a great product once people realize how handy it is with 10x zoom in their pocket.

Sorry but the Pany is just not there yet with pocketability. I own the TZ1 which is .15" thicker and the TZ3 at 1.53" is too thick to pocket really. Not so with the tiny Canon.

Go with the TX1.Yes it has a 39-390 lense that will prevent some shots from having the perspective you wish it had but it's livable--for a long time we never even had 35 mm in digital cameras and now were down to 24 (which the TZ3 essentially is).

A wider lense will follow suite just wait for the TX2--you can bet on it. It might even sport a 12x or 15x zoom too because having the lense along the camera 2nd widest side allows Canon to squeeze in probably what Sony did with the H9. In fact, I wish Canon had made this a "lay flat" design similar to binoculars. Then you could have an even longer zoom lense up to maybe 25X like many true camcorders have. That is doable in a 3.5" long body.

I bet this is a winner Jeff at DCRESOURCE. Your discrediting too much what you should be giving bravo for. I think your critique this time is misplaced.