Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:24 AM   #1

Just saw this. Finally the rumours become true. Shame about the MJPEG though... Not sure if you can zoom during recording either.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ca...07_tx1_pr.html
damc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2007, 8:23 AM   #2

Interesting, but yeah, MJPEGfor 1280x720 @ 30fpsseems likean inefficient choice. I like this line from the press release, almost makes it sound like a military weapon: "With Canon's new Face Detection AF/AE/FE function, the camera can detect, lock on, and track multiple human faces in a scene".

Retractable lens (10X optical zoom), very squarish:

Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:06 AM   #3

Seems these devices are becoming mainstream.

Looks like Sanyo finally has a competitor although the lack of MPEG4 or even MPEG2 is strange. Even has true optical image stabilisation for a a price of $499 which makes it better value than the Sanyo especially if they still have a proper 1 year warranty without the 90 day labor exception.

It does seem as though Canon has an aversion to anything other than MJPEG. From a 4GB SDHC card you will get just under 7 minutes in hidef mode!!!

Still it will be interesting to see if the hidef mode is noticeably better than Sanyo's because if it isn't then I don't see the point of using MJPEG.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:52 PM   #4

this Mourning I posted this is a dead link, now it is removed, reason why my post did not show?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"gld it is working
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:35 PM   #5

That is an interesting Canon.I guess major camera manufacturers are finally getting the idea that a hybrid is possible and appealing to consumers....but they really need to throw in a mp3 player...that's all.
MustekOwnsAiptek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 6:49 PM   #6

vidio function, camera, and webcam are the common grounds for a hybrid

MP3,and wifi capabilities are the toppers
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:06 PM   #7

My first reaction was that, given the attention it's getting, this is the camera that will break hybrids out of being a niche product. However, on second thought, half the battle in taking video is post production. This camera will produce video files so large that common pc's will choke when editing a movie full of them. So people will be faced with one of the same things that turned them off camcorders, which is having a useless collection of raw footage.

Face recognition is showing up on more cameras. Samsung's pmp NV11 has it. And some of the NV series have optical image stabilization.

Here's how I'd guess it works: The camera's software has a pattern stored in memory, roughly corresponding to a human face. As the processor processes the image on the sensor, the software compares what it's seeing, with that pattern. When it sees the pattern, it optimizes the automatic functions such as exposure, flash and autofocus, on that pattern. Makes sense, really. What I don't get is how it deals with several faces that might be in very different areas of a scene. Like, what about a night scene with one face 3' from the camera, and another face 12' away?

I like this product, but after my bad experience with Canon and one of their scanners, I'd hesitate a long time before revisiting their brand.

Pentax seems overdue to replace the Optio MX's.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 1:29 PM   #8

WiFi would be great, other than it being slow. I like the idea of a charging stand with USB2 transfer speed, it works good for me!

MP3 is worthless, on the other hand it should cost next to nothing to implement so why not?

Somebody at Canon should lose their job over this camera. This is one smokin' deal with a LOT of bells and whistles, but limiting people to MJPEG is just too much. If they just provided a choice between MJPEG and MP4, I'd buy this thing today. Without MP4 this is a non-starter. I notice it records audio as WAVE rather than AC3. They must have a real weak processor in there, or fully taxed with "face recognition",or have no access to hardware MP4/AC3 encoding. Irregardless.. Canon, you came SO close.

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 2:15 PM   #9

yes agree someoneshould turn their stocks in from these companies rather lose their jobs , it is the workers who realy are the one to thank......
Old Feb 28, 2007, 4:34 AM   #10

Grunchy wrote:
Quote:
Somebody at Canon should lose their job over this camera. This is one smokin' deal with a LOT of bells and whistles, but limiting people to MJPEG is just too much. If they just provided a choice between MJPEG and MP4, I'd buy this thing today. Without MP4 this is a non-starter. I notice it records audio as WAVE rather than AC3. They must have a real weak processor in there, or fully taxed with "face recognition",or have no access to hardware MP4/AC3 encoding. Irregardless.. Canon, you came SO close.

Hi, I'm new to Hybrids, and am seriously considering this video camera. About the MJpeg, a few guys on the following thread like the idea of MJPEG because of the higher bitrate(35,84Mbps) and less compression than MPEG2/4(no temporal prediction = smoother motion, less HD artifacts)

How do you guys feel about this? Thanks!

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...tal-Camera.htm

kronium is offline   Reply With Quote