Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 11, 2007, 1:35 PM   #1

hello all...i am new to the hybrid world...but i have been reading alot of reviews on this site....they are amazing reviews...very detailed and descriptive....but i guess what i am really looking for are recommendations....lets face it...there are many hybrids out there and most of you have owned multiple ones...so maybe you could help someone who hasn't owned one

i am looking to buy 3 hybrids for a camp that i help out with in the summer...the main function of the camera will be to capture video for the purpose of making a dvd to send home with the kids...we are an "extreme action" camp....so there will video of water skiing...paintball...archery...horses....and other events that will need a good "fast pan" camera....and also we take pictures to put on our website for friends and family to see

so all that being said....i would like for you to give me some suggestions...maybe like a top 3 best hybrids for what i am doing...i know that i want something in the 5MP range....a good battery life....good quailty...good durability in the outdoors....and something under $200

any comments or suggestions that could lead me in the right direction of making this purchase would be very beneficial and much appreciated

thanks
jeffersonpeele is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2007, 2:57 PM   #2

Welcome jeffersonpeele

one comes to mind would be the Microtek 500 series?

Ispan 920with remote,the Aiptek mpvr as my last resort.

another great one would be the mustek 9300

if you want to take photos in increments you can set this up on a tree mount and if hidden capture every so often as well as one mentioned by sgspirit that is motion activated as well.

hope that helps out.

I own the mpvr and more it will do its job but may have the aud vid synch issues.

If you decide to go for 3 of the same then the batteries will be easier to get hold of and keep charging

I write down a number for the camera that it goes to ?

Question are you going to reward a camper with ahybrid as well? at the end of the summer? you may want to hand them down to them as an incentive?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 5:04 PM   #3

I second fishcomics' suggested cameras. Keep in mind that these cameras are not professional units, or even equal to consumer camcorders. To make up for the shortcomings in technical quality, you MUST have very good technique for composing and taking the video clips.

And practice with the camera before you need to shoot scenes. When something is happening that's great and will not be repeated, it's not a good time to be learning how to use the camera.

Then, unless you're having the movies done commercially, you'll confront the whole video editing world. My wife recently shortcutted the whole learning curve I went through by using Windows Movie Maker to compose the movies, and then copy the movie to a cd-rom. Probably this circumvents many of the compatibilty issues I've run into using other movie making software to create .avi files and DVD's.

Hope it turns out well, and let us know how it goes.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 7:11 PM   #4

thanks guys....most of us at the camp are pretty tech savvy...so the video capture should be fine...we also use final cut to make our videos....we have used minidv cameras for the past 10 years and are trying to explore some simpler...more portable options...since we go through like 10 tapes a week

unfortunately we can't afford to award a camper with a hybrid....we are currently just trying reward ourselves...thanks for the suggestion though
Old Mar 11, 2007, 7:34 PM   #5

any idea where the best place to buy the ispan 920 or the microtek 500....i was hoping to see them on ebay...but no luck there
Old Mar 11, 2007, 8:01 PM   #6

Is[an WAS a hit but not no more

the Microtek may befound at your local Sears or at streetprices.com look in

http://www.streetprices.com/Electron...uctbylowprice/
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 11:14 PM   #7

The Ispan DDV-920 is also sold as the Digilife DDV-1000. The DDV-1000 is available on Ebay and at Digilife USA .
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:09 PM   #8

FWIW regarding paintball, I recently posted a short paintball clip in the MZ-DV thread here:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

and also in the video uploads thread here:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

One major caveat is to study well as many full-resolution clips as you can ... IMO it's pretty useless to watch the youtube clips or compressed clips. There were scant few full-res clips around when I was buying, which is a big part of the reason I made it a point to post full-res clips.

No hybrid in the ~$200 range will even come close to even low-end MiniDV ... so make sure your expectations are adjusted accordingly.

I have more from that day, if you want me to I'll post another clip.
mzdvguy is offline   Reply With Quote