Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:31 PM   #1

I'm looking for a hybrid camera... or basically, I want a thin, tiny, video camera with good quality. I just returned from Disney World in Florida and realized how much it sucks to Lug around a video camera. The camera I have, a Panasoinic GS-250, is not large by any means, but it doesn't comfortably fit into my pocket...

Long story short, I have been doing a lot of research on these "hybrid" cameras and it's starting to get overwhelming with all the models, brands, knockoff's, ect.ect.ect...

This is why i'm turing to the knowledgable community here...If you don't mind, I'd like to tell you what I'm looking for, and then ask for your advice on which camera would be best for me. Isearched and read the sticky's but with all of the information,I would almost rather have someone narrow down like the top 10 or top 5... Just to make it easier...

What I'm looking for...
1) Price range $0-200.00 = roughly, can be flexable

2) SD - I prefer the smallest, lightest video camera possible.. this means no tapes

3) Quality - 640x480 @ min. and 30FPS is a must... MPEG4... anything more is a +

4) Low light conditions - want to find one with night-shot feature similiar to the Sony Handycam series of camcorders. If not, no big deal.

5) Ease of Use - I want to feel comfortable holding the camera, as well as walking with it in my pocket. I want as many features as possible, but not have confusing menu screens and non-sense.

6) Boot-Up time... The faster the camera is going from OFF to RECORD... the better...

I appreciate any help you guys/gals can offer.. thanks a LOT...

sorry for the newbiness... I just don't want to waste my money on some ebay-knock-off..... or some camera that will explode after 2 minutes

- jon
jong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 1:16 PM   #2

From what i've gathered.. it seems the leader is the MPVR+ / MPVR

Although there were some others that took better stills.. I would much rather have better video over better stills, in all honesty...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I've heard a lot of bad things about SVP cameras... Does this hold true? They are dirt cheap, but they CLAIM to have great features...
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:30 PM   #3

jong wrote:
Quote:
What I'm looking for...
1) Price range $0-200.00 = roughly, can be flexable

2) SD - I prefer the smallest, lightest video camera possible.. this means no tapes

3) Quality - 640x480 @ min. and 30FPS is a must... MPEG4... anything more is a +

4) Low light conditions - want to find one with night-shot feature similiar to the Sony Handycam series of camcorders. If not, no big deal.

5) Ease of Use - I want to feel comfortable holding the camera, as well as walking with it in my pocket. I want as many features as possible, but not have confusing menu screens and non-sense.

6) Boot-Up time... The faster the camera is going from OFF to RECORD... the better...

- jon
1 sanyo exacti, or casio exslim? I go with a casio exislim series?

2 all hybrids or should I say most USA hybrids are sd/mmc?

3 that opens the door for a number right there

Mz-dv 159.00 720 x480( ?) res @ 30fps widescreen ready

zoom-dv6, and latest model the dv5800 same as the MZ-DV but possably only difference is a internal charger?

4. ALL are OUTDOOR ONLY in DAYLIGHT, no NIGHT ,MIdnight video unless light on a subject? so yes the answer is sorry look into a ccd lens and that means EBAY for some ispan ddv-920 or svp, creative labs?

5 they are all easy to use once you learn them, but right out of the box anyone can be just that.

6. all my hybrids boot up in record time within 7 secs max, you can shut off the start up for instant access and it seems to be no icons and let me demo it

if you notice in the video the start up is on on in full video and transfered to the right, the left is with it off, 4 secs faster giving the MPVr a 4-8 sec turn on to me I can live with that, but at times I always have the start up on and MISS the important shots.

you'll strugle to turn on the camera and get the 1st 5 secs of wasted vid in whiteout.

my recomendation

the aiptek series mpvr was at an all time low of 49.99 at compusa cannot pass that up. zoom dv or dv5800 are the choices but wait for others to get their points in

http://media.putfile.com/start-up-17
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:45 PM   #4

From what I can gather...

The MPVR+ beats the MPVR not only in low light capabilities but the CMOS sensor in the + model is 5MP, whereas the MPVR is only 3MP

What confuses me is why the Aiptek site doesn't refer to these cameras with these names... All i see is PocketDV Z200, Z100, T100, T11...

I don't see PVR, MPVR, MPVR+, Zoom-DV, or MZ-DV...

is there some correlations I"m not aware of?

anyways, i'm pretty sold on the MPVR+, the only question is if it is worth it to get the Zoom-DV or the MZ-DV over the MPVR+...

any thoughts?
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:54 PM   #5

So, I went out and bought the AipTek MPVR+ from target for 149.99.

First impression.... eh...

I haven't had a chance to get it out into daylight yet, but with every light in the house on, the video is kinda grainy. The DSC takes decent pictures, and for what I paid I can't really complain. I can't wait to get it into the daylight and see how it does.

I'll be honest though, I'm half tempted to return it and order the MZ-DV... I'm kinda intrigued by the 480p resolution.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 1:14 AM   #6

The Digilife DDV-920/1000 would meet your needs fairly well. As these hybrids go, the low light video performance is excellent. I don't know how grainy "grainy" is to you, but when I use it indoors I rarely need to turn extra lights on. In light that I'd call "dim", then it starts to get grainy - to me. Good microphone, good stills. Startup time is slow at 6 seconds, and the video quality will not be as good as a real camcorder.

The Digilife DDV-5120a is smaller, has the same startup time and low light performance, has some extra features, but has a very insensitive microphone.

An alternative is digital still cameras with mpeg4 video modes. I have a Samsung i6. Its video isn't as good as the Digilifes', but the stills are better and it has far more capabilities such as an optical zoom and autofocus. Startup time is more like 2 seconds. It's also smaller than the Digilifes, and can be had on eBay at the top of your price range.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:51 AM   #7

there is no good cop bad cop here.

no matter what Hybrid you buy, you'll never get a great low light hybrid. some may do one octive lower than the other no more.

the Aiptek devision ALL will act the same period.

Low light will only work correctly if the lights are of bright light in a bathroom and close couters, if in a open room you must be in Costco or target to do the filming day or not?

some how the hybrid works just fine in a big bright warehouse, than a small relaxed home

http://youtube.com/watch?v=y-7ykWawUGc

As SG mentions, but cannot befound in a store, then you'll bestuck

didcompusa have this as well far less

so far no lower prices found since xmax hmmmm

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 12:44 PM   #8

So i tested it in the daylight. And, it's not bad.. but.. I can think ofa million ways to improve it. For the money, no it's not a bad camera at all... and i'm not totally convinced I'm going to keep it, but I really wouldn't mind seeing the video for the MZ-DV, or possibly some other brands...

What I would really like to see is a comparison of cameras based on Resolution and DATA RATE...

Most of the cameras advertisedsay like... "640x480 !!! VGA!!! " HORRAAYYY!!!

But what really matters is the data rate...

You could have 1024x768 resolution, but with a data rate of 0.001 MP/s.. it's gonna look like crapola...

All in all, it's a cute little camera. But if i find something with better res / data rate.. i'm returning it in a heartbeat...
Old Mar 21, 2007, 10:22 PM   #9

Okay, first, I want to thank everyone for being patient and helping me choose a good camera.

Quote:
if you are unhappy with your mpvr , what will make you any happier with the MZ-dv? let alone 3x optical and widescreen?
It's not that I'm completely unhappy with it. I think I would be happier with the MZ-DV because it has higher res/data rate and optical zoom. The biggest factor for me is the quality of the video. As I mentioned before, I already have a 1100-1300 dollar video camera, but i don't like carrying it around. I paid that money for the qaulity, and, if i have to, i'll pay more for a higher quality tapeless.

Quote:
curious? not yelling or arguing?

I'm just curious. I'm not upset in the slightest bit... is that what you're asking?? I appreciate all the help you've given me and all the links you've provided.

Quote:
1 goingfrom a professional model, down to a economical one, we must understand, the hybrid not a pro but does thejob
I'm not looking for the cheapest solution. I'm also not looking for the most expensive option. I'm looking for a decent middle ground. I am prepared to pay upwards 250 dollars for a device that I can see myself using on a bi-weekly basis. The biggest things I need are portability and high video quality.

Again, thanks very much. I'm still trying out the MPVR+, as I have 90 days to return it ( thank you Target.)

I'm looking at some stuff other than AIPTEK