Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:49 PM   #11

dbraeckel wrote:
Quote:
Ah shoot. You would have to say that. I'm plum outta 640x480 clips. At least something under 10MB.

Image a 320x240 clip....just bigger and noisier. :?

I'll have to record something tonight and ftp it up.
The only reason I say this, is because the 320x240 clips you put up, don't actually look that terrible on my monitor and are about what I would expect. Also usually the 320x240 should actually be worse than the 640x480 clips which is why I wanted to see an example.

It may be that you are more sensitive to the pixelation which is no problem as often vidfeo quality can be subjective as you can see if you read many reviews on these devices.

I would definitely swap this for a regular MPVR or IS-DV (Original version, not the IS-DV2) to see if that helps.

One thing have noticed though, is that the monitor or TV does seem to affect how a video looks, which is odd. For instance I noticed that my normally excellent Sanyo C40 looks a bit blocky and pixellated on my mother's Flat Screen TV yet looks great on my laptop. Why I don't know since it's analog input on the TV.

In anycase, if you are not happy with the video quality then it's always better to take it back straight away and not make the mistake I did when I bought my PVR from bestbuy and only noticed the defects after the return period expired!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 2:37 AM   #12

I've FTP'd a 640x480 video up to my site.

http://doug.braeckel.com/Videos/CLIP0004.ASF

If you go frame by frame in Media Player Classic, or whatever you use, you'll get a good sense of the problems I'm talking about. Otherwise, really, the picture looks great if the compression artifacts weren't occurring.

Are there any other cameras any of you can suggest that have video-in capability? That's the overriding factor for me. I was considering the DigiLife DDV-5120A, but all I really need is a box with video in and a record button.

Thanks again,

Doug

dbraeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 3:46 AM   #13

cmos sensor working too hard

you got granulation, saturation, and no sharpness from the source?

I look into a hybrid that has asharpness control

DXG, hanshing, and creative labs, SVP some are the same company Believe it or not.

If you show us a video can you get a better angle, then side comparison? reason why , it shows less info and more skipping? green is the worst color to grab,

stay away from yellow

best to film at a 2 o'clock than 3 o'clock even better 1 o'clock

If you are returning and looking for a store Purchase the next model will be

Samsung or sanyo if you are in a major city you may find mustek, and panasonic but doubt you'll get what you want
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 11:05 AM   #14

Well, the MPVR+ is boxed back up and ready to go back to the store tonight after work. At this point, I'm going to re-evaluate my needs and possibly go for modifying a Neuros Recorder 2 to meet my needs.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Old Apr 3, 2007, 1:29 PM   #15

no sweat?

would you reommend this model to a person and why? after you had your hands on it?

or would you recommend the lower end model?

I would recommend a the MPVR 6 meg and the IS-DV

reason:

IS-DV can be used in many situations and love the style, just not the record button location.

I can place in the car and take motion video over head recording and more.

MPVr i can do almost anything but cannt place in my head rest. and go out at night looking a lil more eligant than modest?

the MPVr+ well same goes but preferre to say 2 extra interpolated and cmos megs no worth the upgrade yet?
Old Apr 4, 2007, 5:32 AM   #16

I returned my camera yesteryday without difficulty. I was informed by the associate helping me that they were told to pull all of the MPVR+ cameras off the floor. No reason was given, but they told me the would not be selling them any more, at least in the store. Maybe I'm not the only one who thought these things were not all that hot.

I would not recommend the MPVR+ to anyone. The video compression artifacts make this camera unusable for taping anything with fast moving scenes.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:32 AM   #17

dbraeckel wrote:
Quote:
I returned my camera yesteryday without difficulty. I was informed by the associate helping me that they were told to pull all of the MPVR+ cameras off the floor. No reason was given, but they told me the would not be selling them any more, at least in the store. Maybe I'm not the only one who thought these things were not all that hot.

I would not recommend the MPVR+ to anyone. The video compression artifacts make this camera unusable for taping anything with fast moving scenes.
Now that is interesting, seeing as the MPVR+ is basically a clone of the PVR. Aiptek had just recently pulled the PVR from Bestbuy and the 8800 from their website. The PVR was just Bestbuy's version of the 8800. In fact, if you look at the EXIF information for images from the PVR (such as on my website), they always said 'Aiptek DV 8800'.

That may also explain why Walgreens website only showed the MPVR and not the MPVR+.

I hade emailed Aiptek and it was told that Aiptek USA had requested an evaluation of this product and halted shipping of this product temporarily. He said no definite answers yet. As fishycomics will tell you, I sent a series of test videos to Aiptek USA and also Aiptek Taiwan from my PVR that clearly showed problems with it. All Aiptek Taiwan kept saying was "That is the moire effect". Originally Aiptek USA were not interested until I got one guy who finally took an interest in the problem.

Anyway, I would reccomend you try one of these from Aiptek:

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...;Store_Code=AS

It had much softer, less 'ragged' video and I found it's more standard camcorder shape was more useful. For a start, you could even place it on the car dashboard unlike the MPVR style of case!

Of course you could also try the regular MPVR as well, which you are more likely to get in a regular store now.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 1:25 PM   #18

Could this be our doing? that we put the MPVR to the better model, and got the pvr and mpvr+ off the shelves? I hope so. I would expect a t300 to shut me up for good LOL, but it is great to see them now admitting defeat.

1 :|

hell yes the IS-DV is my hybrid to carry with me in my car filming etc, b/c it has everything rgv mentions.

I returned the1st model back in aug of 1996 repurchased in winter time, to again return due to a defect in the lens inner part, hybrid sold for 87.00 was a steal.

now it is improved with a 270 swival rather a 210 swival. a betterf irmware. and wished it had a remote, and a bigger screen. andyes a better sd closure.

you can remove the sd while the camera is on to switch a great extra?

you are very lucky b/ today I did bring my is-dv with me and the weatherwas bad but hey

I concider this

"a low light situation"

video 1 sped the film up a 15 minute ride I concider prity good with a hybrid

Interior filming to a brighter scen will get you a darker video of the inside, the IS-DV is known for this, the MPVR will be brighter

video 2 15 minute drive cut the film to a few minutes also a foul weather shot, going around 25-60 plus mph.

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/j-hXJJAYDBQ[/flash][flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/LtIO59jiP70[/flash]

Understanding youtube converts to a flash I am super happy b/c if i needed to point out something I have the video to show, rather not having anything

Old Apr 4, 2007, 4:58 PM   #19

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Could this be our doing? that we put the MPVR to the better model, and got the pvr and mpvr+ off the shelves? I hope so. I would expect a t300 to shut me up for good LOL, but it is great to see them now admitting defeat.
I would like to think we had a part in it :G I guess I was lucky that I finally managed to get them to swap my PVR for an MPVR. The original support person I tried to speak to originally, was rude and you could see he was trying to brush it off. It was only the other guy we dealt with that finally took interest.

I wonder if they will eventually bring them back with a firmware fix or if they are gone for good.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:46 PM   #20

they be gone I want to believe it is firmware? I think they can place a cdr and a how to instruction, with a lower price if smart?