Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:56 AM   #1

I've been lurking around this forum for weeks now gathering all of the information I could regarding soild state recorders, as I'm looking for something to record from a helmet-cam while riding a dirt bike off-road in the woods.

I purchased an MPVR+ from Walgreens last week for $109, upgraded it to the latest firmware and thought it was just the greatest thing until I played back a video from it. The video is so blocky and pixelated during fast movement that it's unwatchable. I've tried it in 320 and 640 modes and have the same results. I haven't seen any other discussions on this, so I wanted to see if anybody else has the same problem or if I just got a bad one. It looks to me that the compression engine just can't keep up with the amount of data in the scene.

Is anybody else having this problem?

Otherwise, this is a great camera that's going back to the store if there isn't a fix for it.... :sad: Will I have better luck with a Digilife DDV-5120a or even a modded Neuros Recorder 2 or SanDisk V-Mate?

Thanks,

Doug
dbraeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2007, 9:49 AM   #2

Are you sure it is the MPVR+ and not the MPVR? walgreens.com only show the regular MPVR for $109

The reason I say this, is because it will have some bearing on your results. The MPVR+ is basically a clone of the PVR which I used to have and which did seem to have poorer video than the regular MPVR. I also noticed it tended to be more pixelated too, though not necessarily on fast moving subjects. It also had trobule with close lines. There is a whole thread on this forum about my testing with the PVR along with video vlips to ilustrate the video distortion problems.. I ended up getting Aiptek to swap it for a regular MPVR.

Could you post a video clip so we can get an idea of what you mean?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:26 AM   #3

2x

Dbraekel welcome aboard.

1 supply proof not of the hybrid but of footage?

you may sign up to youtube, putfile or bestsharing and load the link up?

[line]

the mpvr, + pvr does not make a difference?

the lens or sensor may not be accurate, or in working order? causing a fault in the hybrid?

but in order for a member , like you, rgv, and I to tell Place a video up?

2. Dirtbike can sustain a ton ofshock to a unit? but this unit is a sd tapeless one?

I bet the helmet cam is the culprit, with the jack? being not in proper contact?

that is my guess.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:35 AM   #4

I was surprised Walgreens had the MPVR+ as well, but that's what it says on the package, and the unit's label states "DZO-V58". Their website does only mention the MPVR.

The footage I took so far has simply been of me walking around outside with it, panning around. Nothing more. I haven't even recorded from the bullet cam yet, but I have hooked it up to verify it works, and it does.

I'll have to get some concise footage and post it up in the next day or two.

If the + has problems like this, then would I be better to go with the regular MPVR? Is there anything I can do via firmware or am I going to have to find an MPVR and return this?

Thanks again,

Doug

Old Apr 2, 2007, 10:57 AM   #5

We are very lucky to makea purchase today, and hope we have no headaches?

109 for the 8 meg, not bad? but if you ask me? Rgvcam may agree?

mpvr

3mb cmos sensor

mono input of av in

2 interpolated megapixals?

MPVR+

5mb cmos sensor

mono input 2 extra meg interpolation

[line]

both hybrids are 3 megapixals by default

question is:

1. video audio issues, or grain videos?

[line]

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/Q4KjJk-XJ84[/flash]

you asked:

I played back a video from it. The video is so blocky and pixelated during fast movement that it's unwatchable.

Old Apr 2, 2007, 11:48 AM   #6

Here are three samples I just shot while I was out getting lunch. These are the raw, 320x240 ASFs, right out of the camera, no modifications. I think you'll agree, these are hideous. You don't even want to see 640x480.

http://doug.braeckel.com/Videos/CLIP0001.ASF

http://doug.braeckel.com/Videos/CLIP0002.ASF

http://doug.braeckel.com/Videos/CLIP0003.ASF

I guess I'll be returning the camera tonight if there are no fixes for it. :sad:
Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:23 PM   #7

dbraeckel wrote:
Quote:
You don't even want to see 640x480.
Actually yes I do :G
Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:40 PM   #8

Ah shoot. You would have to say that. I'm plum outta 640x480 clips. At least something under 10MB.

Image a 320x240 clip....just bigger and noisier. :?

I'll have to record something tonight and ftp it up.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 12:56 PM   #9

The reason I say this, is that I never use the 320x240 mode as there is no point, so it's difficult to compare with my clips.
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:07 PM   #10

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

1. the above topic is what a hybrid is? economy? professional? and more?

why users of a professional manner must step back, realize, the difference in economy, and professional?

I may not have yet explained it but will improve apon it as I go along.

[line]

2. the Video you are showing is the best and soon will no longer, as I type it is being Expired the 320x240 resolution? the 320x240 resolution is great for youtube, and other stuff email etc? we all do not have servers?

It is best not to film in 320x240, and keep to the highest res, 640x480?

Soon and it is happening, y720x540 ( close enough) will be taking over 320x240. the only two settings from Aiptek will be 720, and 640?

[line]

3. As I notice and always will. saturation is the problem you deffently have the dv800, or pvr clone 5 mb sensor, allows more light in and more saturation, less sharpness. It is very noticable, and that is why you hate the near dvd-quality or is it near vhs quality?

[line]

Rgvcam is not pushing you to film a clip, it sounds like you do not have the hybrid in your hands now to film? and no need for any extra footage? I am satisfied with the results?