Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 12, 2007, 1:52 PM   #1

Maybe a bit of a rant but I'll get it off my chest!

I bought a DXG 521 Roadster when I visited the US back in Jan, I noticed it had AV-In functions, this was the main reason I bought it for use with a bullet cam.

Everything seemed ok while quickly messing around inside the house but I started to notice loads of bugs when I took it out and about

1) Going from low light to high light would cause the compression to half and make the rest of the clip go very blurry! doesnt always need such a dramatic change in light but I can replicate this 100% of the time by doing this.

http://www.dynamight.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Blurtest.avi <-- This is what happens.

I tried plugging in my proper camcorder using it's AV-Out and the DXG's AV-In but exactly the same issue.... so this points towards the DXG.

2) Large videos, sometimes I'll record for 30mins and the filesize will be over 1.5GB, whereas other times it'll be half that size. I've checked the clips with G-Spot and it's confirmed the kpbs/bitrate has increased from around 5000 to over 7000 but theres no noticble increase in picture quality. Does this on all resolutions and quality.

I dont know about you guys but all this sounds like software issues (Everything else on the Hybrid works perfectly fine)

So I email them, explain in great detail. send over loads of videos.... they tell me they cannot see a problem? and I should return it so they can look at it. I explained I'm from the UK and it would cost more than $70 to return it, asked if they could supply me with a updated firmware, ignored my 3 separate requests and just asked me to return it. Asked if they would test on one of their cameras but in the end they just closed the 'Support Ticket'

Utterly useless, I'm now left with a device which isnt much good due to buggy software. The box even states it's 'firmware upgradable'

Rant over. DXG suck.

Which 'cheap-ish' Hybrid has the best AV-In?
DynaMight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2007, 2:50 PM   #2

Hi DynaMight,

I'm an expat from the UK myself.

Do you have any more video clips? I also noticed this one didn't have sound? Is this normal or can you disable the mic on that device? You are right, that video doesn't look right at all. I guess this is one of the pitfalls when buying a device abroad, in that what do you do when it develops a fault?

These companies are often reluctant at first to admit there is a problem as I found with my Aiptek PVR (which I eventually managed to get swapped for a regular MPVR). I guess because they are not large companies, they don't want the expense of a recall if they can possibly avoid it. There is a whole thread buried here about the PVR and my test videos to Aiptek etc. At least Aiptek USA seemed to recognise finally there was a problem even if their Taiwan HQ didn't.

What you need to do, is try and find out from them what the most current firmware is, since if you have the latest, then it could be another problem, which is why they want you to return it. What you describe sounds like it might not necessarily be a firmware problem otherwise I would expect a much lower rating than I have seen on other shopping sites with customer reviews.

Of course, it is also possible that the firmware is simply corrupted in someway and a reload may do it. I would keep trying as you may eventually get someone sympathetic to your cause and send you the firmware.

Sadly 'firmware upgradeable' doesn't always mean that you can do it yourself as I have noticed on phones and pdas.

Aiptek doesn't advertise or offer firmware upgrades to the general public either it seems. Generally it has been members of this board that have obtained them.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2007, 3:32 PM   #3

The video clip was shortened and audio removed to save space. I have loads of them, almost every video I've ever taken has done the same, sometimes after 10secs sometimes after 20mins.

I doubt many people use this device purely for it's AV-In, the rest of the features seem to work just fine, plus I doubt recording TV/DVD/VCR etc will cause a problem unless it quickly changes brightness.

The problem doesnt exist with the built in camera. I think they just quickly bodged the AV-In feature therefore it's buggy.

I expect that they build the hardware etc then pay another company to actually create the software. so therefore any changes/bugfixes etc cost them money so thats why they're reluctant to do anything, I doubt they've even updated the firmware, just knock as many out as possible then in 6 or so months time it's time for the next revision.

I litarally asked about 3 times 'Do you have a updated firmware I can try' but everytime it was ignored, infact they never really answered any of my problems except with the magical solution 'Send it back'

I'm pretty sure the guy was a muppet, he even said that it went blurry because the camera didnt have a autofocus and the reflection of the windscreen!!

You're right though, I'm not going to give up. I'll just keep emailing this manager there.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:41 PM   #4

Unfortunately most recommendations that I can give may not be available in the UK. However I believe that the Aiptek MPVR model over here, may be available in the UK as the DV 6800.

Here is the link to it on the German site: http://www.aiptek.de/index.php?optio...amp;Itemid=103

They say this is the European arm of Aiptek, although it seems all the authorized dealers and distributors seem to be German companies!

This has AV in although I confess it is not a feature that I make use of, although others on here do, such as fishycomics.

It seems to be one of the more proven of Aipteks offerings so far and may be what you are looking for. There are quite a few examples of video from this device in this forum.
Old Apr 13, 2007, 1:57 PM   #5

Agree 100 % with RGV.. visit aiptek.de hybrid also goes under other names like ranger for example

1 av input is excellent yes i use it, i capture a commercial, part of a tv show, etc

when i do use it sometimes i need to reload wmp or aipteks sftwr codec problem causes a you have encountered a bug please close........ once I reload all is fixed? I believe it is a firmware issue?

2 broken camcorder or want to get fotage onto a esier way from tape to card this is it? but may again lead to issues if not sampled or tested

3 some tear the hybrid apart and use it for airplanes remote etc.

4 the mpvr is under the dv6800 series as wel las a t series? you may also notice digilife and others looking close or identical. hope the info provided , makes your decision easier.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:30 PM   #6

Hey I just found that jessops in the UK has this model for just under £80

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s35940/...x=1&comp=y

The reason I found it, is that I am looking for something cheap for my brother to use to send me videos back from the UK as well :G

Old Apr 20, 2007, 2:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the link, I will keep it handy for when I am in the market again.

I have been emailing this manager who was a utter muppet, still convinced theres no problems, after emails over a few days he just stopped responding. Waste of space.