Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:54 AM   #1

Hi everyone,
I have two hybrids for some time now.
One of them one year old Genius G-shot DV1110 (rebranded Digilife DDV-M1, Ispan DDV-910) and second one is recently bought SVP HDDV-8600.
While most of the time I was content with Dv1110 performance, it's (well known) poor low light performance was bothering me. After reading some comparisons of CCD and CMOS sensor which was all favorale to CCD (concerning low light sensitivity), I purchased new HDDV-8600B on ebay for $129 (plus $29 shipping price, I live outside USA).
I own it since feb.16 of 2007 and tested it thoroughly now to compare it with my old G-shot DV1110 camcorder:

Still shots performance:
HDDV-8600B doing much better photos than DV1110, and not only because in has 6Mp CCD sensor (opposite to DV1110's 5Mp SMOS sensor), resulting in better night shots, but it choose WB better also. It's more true to real life that DV1110's (which tend to make reddish tone photos even in bright light)
Here is some samples of indoor dimlight shots:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/piterplus...hot DV1110.jpg
http://members.lycos.co.uk/piterplus.../HDDV-8600.jpg

Video recording performanse:
Same situation as in still shots, HDDV-8600 surpass DV1110 in every aspect, as in low light and in daylight video recording. Also digital zoom works much better in new camera. At least it can be used whan it needed. In DV1110 it was so horrible that it was useless feature.
HDDV-8600 wins here, exept one point - (also well known issue of CCD) - when pointed directly on bright light spots it shows vertical bluish stripes on the screen:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/piterplus...00-stripes.jpg

Design and usability:
HDDV-8600 is one of the smallest and slimest camcorders now. It has same size LCD as G-shot DV1110 (2.5"). But maybe bacause of it's smalleness it's desing and conrtols placement are worse than my old camera.
G-shot DV1110 has bigger body and is seems more endurable and tough to break, all controls , in and out connectors, seems to be better placed. While in DV1110 accum and CD card share same department which is easily accessed from the bottom of camcorder and at the same time is securely sealed, HDDV-8600 accum placed directly on the right side of camera and covered with delicate plastic lid, which is seems not really secure to me. All other plugs scattered on different sides of camera also, some of them covered with unnecessary caps (usb port) which are not really convenient to use (comparing to DV1110). Also DV1110 body seems to be engineered in more accurate way , if compare it to HDDV-8600. HDDV-8600's accum department stick out of one side, also assembling screws are pretty visible in several places (at least two of them seems to be completely out of place - one right above infrared sensor, second almost on top of the camera, above accum).
As for controls of both cameras - I get used to them both, they differ from each other, but after some time of usage it does not matter.

Menu
Menu is also not much differ, but HDDV-8600 has more options in it and offer better control of the camera.

Other features:
Exept TV-In, I do not use all other features offered here, both cameras has Voice recording, MP3 player, TV OUT, may be used as web camera. HDDV-8600 has new "Gaming" mode.

But as I found in my previous experience, TV-In feature is really useful, and I have tested it as soon as possible on new camera.
And here I received unexpected result - during recording camera cuts ~1/5 of bottom part of movie (so it is become ~640x400 instead of 640x480) and resize rest of the screen back to 640x480 (or maybe extend input video signal to the 6/5 of normal height and record video with lower part cut) . This effect present in camcorder's monitor during recording and in final *.avi file as well.
Here is two snapshots of HDDV-8600 and G-Shot DV1110 during recording from TV. I was using same TV set, same source video to record and same wires to connect camcorders to TV:
http://members.lycos.co.uk/piterplus...0 video in.jpg
http://members.lycos.co.uk/piterplus...10video in.jpg
After connecting to SVP support and describing this problem to them with snapsots included, I've received an offer to send camera to them for repair or replacement. Truly speaking, I doubt that this is only mine camera's issue. In all other aspects it work flawlessly, so I think that mistake buried in design or in firmware of the camera. Maybe I'm wrong, it would be nice to hear comments from other users of HDDV-8600.
Anyway sending camera to SVP absolutely pointless to me because of shipping expences (~$80 both way, as SVP claimed lays on me, which is 2/3 of the camera's price).

Final conclusion:
HDDV-8600 (and other rebrands of it) is far ahead of older generation of hybrids both in stil shots performance and video recording also. It is smaller, but has same LCD screen. Maybe because of it's body slimness it has slightly worse usability and seems to have less durable casing.
If not the issue with TV-In, this camcorder is close to perfection to me (nowadays, of course )
For now, I use HDDV-8600 for video and still shots, and old G-shot DV1110 for TV-In recording.

Piterplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:28 PM   #2

Thanks for the review.

I have not used the AV-In feature on my 8600, so cannot confirm that the problem you reported is model wide. I'll try to test it this weekend.

I actually like the smaller size of the 8600 vs my Digilife DDV-1000. Still and video quality is about the same as the 1000, maybe a little better. Audio in videos is pooreron the 8600 than on the 1000.

I like thevideo record pause feature, though I haven't used it too often (I am too used to cutting and splicing smallclips in post processing).

The battery covercould be a problem. So far, its stayed in place.

Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:16 PM   #3

My thanks also for the review.

I've used the video pause feature on my Samsung i6, and it puts annoying loud click noises on the video. I found it much better to take a series of videos, aided by the i6's fast shot-to-shot intervals, and join them in editing.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:32 AM   #4

as always the reviews are the best and always super helpful to all.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2007, 5:54 AM   #5

Yes, I forgot to mention couple of things:
1. As Old HACer rightfully noted HDDV-8600 has "pause" function while recording video. Use it or not - it's up to your taste and habits, but sometimes it may save you time and efforts.
2. Power "ON/OFF" button. Genius G-shot DV1110 was automatically powered ON when you detach it's LCD from body, and after closing it it'll shut OFF, also automatically (because monitor is pushing the button, which placed underneath it).
Unlike DV1110, HDDV-8600 needs to push power ON/OFF buttom manually (even button placed also underneath monitor) to switch camera ON or OFF. At first I found this feature not convenient, but after some thought I found at least one example there this is really usable:
You can close LCD screen to make camera fit into your fist (remember, it's really small camera, and it will function even with monitor closed) and make "spy movie" (or still shots)easily.
Smile, you're in candid camera! :-)
Piterplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 4:44 PM   #6

My SVP 8600 is my new glovebox camera. Space is at a premium in my new car. Also, the 8600 seems to hold a charge longer than my other larger cameras.

Attached Images

Old Nov 2, 2008, 5:36 PM   #7

Congrad's on the choices:

it seems you went to the fullest. lovet he car. hope you get the best out of both
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 7:37 PM   #8

Very cool car. I'm planning on getting that a year from now. How do you like it so far?

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:36 PM   #9

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Very cool car. I'm planning on getting that a year from now. How do you like it so far?
Just got the car Tuesday ...so far, so good. The automated manual is a little weird and the ride a little rough, but nothing I wasn't expecting based on various reviews. Did you put in your $99 reservation yet?
Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:44 PM   #10

Yes.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote