Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 18, 2007, 8:32 PM   #1

Since you guys were so helpful with my questions the past few weeks, I thought I would share the love and fill you in on my latest purchase. As some of you know, I bought a few Aiptek hybrids in late March (one for my wife and one for me) and was impressed with one (IS-DV2)and completely disappointed with the other (MPVR+). I ended up taking the MPVR+ back to Target for a full refund. While it was a cool device that recorded TV pretty well and took nice enough pics, it was horrible with video. Videos were very blocky and oversharpened.

I spent the past few weeks researching hybrids that had the same functionality as the MPVR+ but with, hopefully, better video quality. I finally decided to bite on an eBay listing for a SPV HDDV-8800. I made a best offer of $160 to the seller and they accepted.

It arrived today. After work I messed around with it a bit.

First impressions:

1. It's slightly larger than the MPVR+. It's a tad bit taller and deeper but much thinner.
2. The LCD screen is fantastic. A large improvement over the MPVR+ which wasn't bad to start with.
3. It has more settings available for pictures and videos than the MPVR+. I was impressed to see ISO settings and even metering settings. It also has more video filters. Negative and Solarize are pretty cool.
4. It has 3 video settings: D1, VGA and QVGA. The D1 seems to be a good step up from the VGA on the Aiptek cameras.
5. The video is much cleaner than the MPVR+. A lot brighter. I'm very impressed and will try to post some samples soon. The VGA mode reminds me of my wife's IS-DV2. It has that old school film look to it. Really cool.
6. Playback is easy and clear.

I haven't tested the mic too much yet or the other features (TV IN, Games...,). I'll probably add to this thread as I get more info.

So far I think it's a winner and is light years better than the MPVR+

-Puck
puck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2007, 1:21 AM   #2

I just picked one of these babies. Can't wait to get it. It will be my first hybrid. I'm uber excited.
Zapbranagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 11:37 AM   #3

Is the SVP HDDV 1800 any good?
imperialc9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 7:27 PM   #4

I just saw a review on youtube for this hybrid and the reviewer said that the movie files can only be played using ulead? any truth to this? I bought this on ebay recently and am awating it's arrival. If the files don't play on windows player or it only plays on ulead...that's a major shortcoming. Anyone here know for sure? Thanks in advance for your help.
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:54 PM   #5

Manny wrote:
Quote:
I just saw a review on youtube for this hybrid and the reviewer said that the movie files can only be played using ulead? any truth to this? I bought this on ebay recently and am awating it's arrival. If the files don't play on windows player or it only plays on ulead...that's a major shortcoming. Anyone here know for sure? Thanks in advance for your help.

No I just got mine and they play in windows media player.
Zapbranagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:31 PM   #6

Zapbranagan wrote:
Quote:
Manny wrote:
Quote:

No I just got mine and they play in windows media player.
I got mine today and windows media player will not play the video. Says error in downloading the codec. Would you happen to know which codec I need? Otherwise, this is a really bad buy folks....
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:16 PM   #7

Sorry for the confusion, but I have solved my problem. I was missing the xvid codec so now the files play perfectly. Thanks!
Old Jun 15, 2007, 5:46 PM   #8

Hi everyone , i am new in this place xD , well , i have a question , i buy my HDDV-8800 & i hace problems with the tv-in feature....i record a movie , but , the audio is out in my pc.....in the cam sound great , but i pass the file to my pc and no audio in tha file , checking the file , i find this :

This is normal ? or my hibryd is damage?

BTW , i have a LOT of problems with the massive USB storage featured....i can
"read" the card....but is imposible to write without explorer crash!!!!

I hope you can help me to know what aHEY! happend xD

Thanks!

(Btw..sorry , my english is too lame...i live in mexico):G

MrK

Note: The Quality selected by me is D1 (720 X 480) but the cam only record a 640x480.
note 2 : Only happends with the tv in feature , because when record with the cam , the file is excellent , D1 size , audio in 64 kbps , great image..... etc.

edited your post Please try to keep it clean , even though you ment good by **** still young kids come in here?
Mark Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:38 AM   #9

Zapbranagan wrote:
Quote:
I just picked one of these babies. Can't wait to get it. It will be my first hybrid. I'm uber excited.
where can i find one of these. appears to be better than my aiptek mdv-cb seen as 8800N by computer. If it's a ccd sensor it's way ahead of the cmos on mine. Am going to return it and go for this. Whats the best price seen on it and where? Any place else other than eBay?

thanks. Rich
psycom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 6:46 AM   #10

Mark Hunter wrote:
Quote:
This is normal ? or my hibryd is damage?

I hope you can help me to know what a f*** happend xD

Thanks!

(Btw..sorry , my english is too lame...i live in mexico):G

MrK
lets say we understand youtr frustration. but that it shud not let you use the **** word and than appologiese for your ingrish? be careful. just using #$%^ in a 130's cartoon we understand the rabbit blew his lid .

1 your camera has software a cdr, but you may need to get the Firmware, and reload to the hybrid, reason why.

The Aiptek I have recorded a show , same problem, I then reloaded the orginal software , it corrected the problem.

640x40 at 29.97 fps is the fix from 640x480 at 30 fps?

you may need to edit with a 3rd party, and sorry nota Vista fan.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote