Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:02 PM   #1

how is the Life of your battery?

4 batteries i own of the MPVR 1 a free one from Aiptek,, clearance and camera

1 for the IS-DV

others rechargables

I notice a fast run down on clearance, and also the orginals, Is-dv may look the same, but all be normal to me

I do not expect a 2 hour hold time no longer.

If I use my hybrid I would try my best t ohave a fresh charged one ready, and the spare as well.

try my best not to allow to drain oveer extended times

samegoes with a rechargable.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2007, 1:24 AM   #2

It seems to me the best batteries are the ones that come with the cameras. The worst are the cheapos from eBay. It seems that all of them lose their charges fairly fast when just sitting around. So you have to charge the batteries just before needing to use the cameras extensively.

The problem with this is that if you're, say, going on a longer trip with no way to charge batteries, you're going to run out of juice even if you take several batteries.

The cameras that run on AA batteries seem to me to have twice the running time of the ones using batteries such as NP-60's. So given that you can also put generic AA's in them, those cameras are the logical choice if you have no way to recharge batteries for a week or more.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:23 AM   #3

I have an aiptek 8900 which uses a mobile phone type battery and charges through a usb. I seen this charger, it looks like a great idea but not sure how well it will work with the aiptek.

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/...oducts_id=1401

harold1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:41 PM   #4

You know I very rarely buy or take spare batteries with my cameras except my Minolta which takes regular AA rechargeables. I find that most of the time, the runtime is usually sufficient for me and acts as a sort of natural brake on the 'living your vacation behind the lens' syndrome :lol: And this is someone who takes a lot of photos and video (Especially if my friends etc. were to comment on me LOL). I tend to take video in short bursts so they are more like a living photo than a documentary.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:32 AM   #5

rgvcam, I like your take on this. But are you ever away from electical outlets for, say, two weeks?

In addition, since I started making movies out of the videos, I find the more footage I take, the better stuff I can cull it down to, regardless of how careful I am to get good footage to begin with.

Another solution is to have three hybrids, like I do now, and take them all along, with all their spare batteries.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:36 AM   #6

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam, I like your take on this. But are you ever away from electical outlets for, say, two weeks?

In addition, since I started making movies out of the videos, I find the more footage I take, the better stuff I can cull it down to, regardless of how careful I am to get good footage to begin with.

Another solution is to have three hybrids, like I do now, and take them all along, with all their spare batteries.
Well yes you are correct in that I am practically never far from a power source. The only time that would happen is if I went off into some wilderness for days and then you would be right in that I would need spare batteries and probably quite a few.

But even for a day trip, some people might shoot enough video to require at least a second battery. Sometimes, for instance with my Minolta I will take a spare set, but even considering that device is poor with batteries I usually have more then enough on a single set.

If it's an important trip, then like you I will often take more than one device as a backup in case of failure or forgetting to charge a battery etc.

Of course you can't be away from power too long as most batteries slowly discharge although for a couple of weeks that isn't really a problem. Just don't plan on being in the wilderness for a couple of months or more :G

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:37 PM   #7

The best example of this are people who travel to the north or south poles without being resupplied. They all seem to take lots of electronics these days, and depend on solar recharging. I'm kind of in-betweeen, with a need for batteries for 1-2 weeks. So carrying some extras is better than carrying a solar recharging setup. The AA-battery cameras are an excellent solution, but none of the cutting-edge cameras seem to use them.

Carrying a bunch of batteries isn't much different from the rolls of film we used to have to carry on long trips with analog cameras. Except the film didn't go off in a week or two.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 6:22 PM   #8

Has anyone tried the solar panel charger that can be bought on ebay?

I want to take my camera on a 10 day hike, with no chance of recharging and was wondering if these solar chargers were any good.

harold1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:41 PM   #9

I am thinking offindingsome plugs andwiring my 3aa solar light to my MPVr it may be a challenge

I would notsee this a problem for a sloar panal recharger a great idea they now today run perfect on cloudy days

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 11:54 PM   #10

Hey Fishycomics, I finally joined this site! I know this topic is old so I will make my point simple. The batteries on my Aiptek PVR are wonderful. They get about 2 hours (switching the camcorder on/off). Have never tried recording the full length of the batteries. Charge time for batteries is about 3 hours. I own 3 of them (1 came with the Camcorder, 2 I ordered off of the Aiptek website).
Kevin_0089 is offline   Reply With Quote