Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:11 PM   #1

I thought I would ask this here, since we all have to store the masses of video we are making from these devices somehow. Considering you can blow off a gig or two just in one session, obviously that creates a longterm storage problem.

Currently I am storing them on CD's but I am well aware of the poor shelf life of this media. I was considering DVD's but of course they may suffer the same fate, so that leaves using an external hard drive. I was thinking of purchasing an external hard drive but my only concern with a harddrive is that if it fails then you lose everything whereas at least with CD's or DVD's you are very unlikely to lose it all at once, as long as you keep an eye on them, especially if you make fresh copies every now and then.

I'd be interested in yout thoughts and opinions.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:20 PM   #2

pocket wallet a blue device costing 400.00 at one time may exagerate on it. wasa 4 gig storage , now tehy have i believe 20-40 gig for 99 aat officemaxiwas going to pick one up for a ton of video if I were away and nneded on the go storage

but yes we're talkiing back up

6 yearsso far nothing wrong on my videojpeg files

I did manage to Lose all my video and some pics of the royal carribiean trip 2002 andposted I'll beuploading my only footage in the raw footage section that wasdeleted not lossed due to back up? but yes lost due to back up I say

1 back up store in a cool place and not only do one do 2 I now found my spare and made 2 back up I play with one I vault the ohter
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 2:13 PM   #3

I just bought a Simpletech 120GB portable external drive at CircuitCity on sale for $99. It powers up using a USB cable and is tiny. I'm using it for music, movies and pictures from my new SVP 8800 and Digital SLR camera. I may end up gettinganother one or a larger one eventually. Not a bad amount of storage for the price. Not sure how reliable they are, but it's much easier to use than burning a DVD every couple of weeks.
puck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:23 AM   #4

An very good question, and very much on topic.

So far I have room on my pc's hard drive for all my digital media files. It's a 160Gb, which isn't large by today's standards, but all the stuff I've taken with my hybrid cameras in the last three years, plus the 50+ movies I've made, take only about one third of the drive.

I have never had a hard drive fail on a home computer. And the drives are more reliable all the time. So if anything, theft of the pc, or a house fire, are bigger problems than a hard drive failure.

Until recently I backed up my original files, and the movies to CD-roms and then DVD's. I don't believe these stories about them having a shelf life of, say, 10 years. I don't see why they would deteriorate, and suspect they will outlast us. In the meantime, we can always copy them somewhere again.

About 6 months ago I bought a 260Gb usb external drive, and now just dump all my stuff onto it. It's extremelty unlikey both drives would fail, but I'm still vulnerable to fire or theft. I really need to make another copy to DVD and store them somewhere else. But you can't spend your life covering all the possible bases. I lived my life before digital photography, and my life will go on even if I lose all this stuff.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:48 AM   #5

sgspirit,

I once had a music CD, that was probably 15 years old at least, deteriorate to the point it had holes in the foil and was unplayable but to be fair, it was a 'square' special edition CD that probably wasn't sealed properly. Most of the CD's that had problems I have read about seem to be the older CD's. Obviously that's because they are now old enough for any defects to have their effect. You can get archival quality CD's now and hopefully they will at least last much longer although again they are not proven.

While I agree you can worry too much about this stuff and you can't always cover all bases, it is still a good idea to at least be concerned about it such that I keep an eye on it.

"I lived my life before digital photography, and my life will go on even if I lose all this stuff."

The same here, but you would be devastated nonetheless if you DID lose it all, I am sure!
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:35 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that there actually were cd-roms that had deteriorated, just that there was plenty of theory that they would. I would hope the build quality of them is better now.

From the way many or most people handle them, I suspect virtually all the problems are due to mishandling. I can never believe the amount of fingerprints and scratches on ones I get from other people. Most people also think the recording layer is sandwiched between layers of lexan, (plexiglass). If they knew the recording layer is on top, protected only by paint, they might be more careful with them.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:49 AM   #7

There are archival gold CDs and DVDs with Phthalocyanine dye that will probably outlive you if stored properly. Decent quality cyanine based discs like Taiyo Yuden should last over thirty years. Even El Cheapo discs last a surprisingly long time if kept in the dark.

My 98 Nissan pickup came with a CD changer and I made six CDs for my wife to put in the changer. I listen to the radio and no longer have the wife, so those CDs are still in the changer. After 9 years in the Florida heat and humidity with no garage they still all play perfectly. The ATIP shows they were made by CMC, which is the ultimate cyanine based cheapie. Keeping them from light is the biggest factor.

A single HD, DVD or CD is fine for backup. For archive where you are removing them from the main computer you need redundancy.

For CD or DVD I think two copies on different media stored in different places in the dark is fine. I find the combination of external HD and CD/DVD handier since it is easier to back up until you can archive. I recently got a 500GB drive with an eSATA external case for under $150 delivered. That is 30c/GB including the case, so it would be less than 25c/Gb for the next drive to go in the case. And of course cost per Gb will go down with time. External HDs have become very cost effective but you don't want all your eggs in any single basket IMO.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 4:59 PM   #8

Yes I use the Gold CD's as well.

I finally purchased a 160GB Western Digital My Book Harddrive for $86 (inc Tax) in Bestbuy. Not a bargain like online, but a good enough price for buying locally.

It has Windows 98 drivers as well but doesn't seem to work with my old Windows 98 PC. I then learned of the 137GB limit in Windows 98 which made me wonder why they produced drivers for this model. Even partitioning doesn't help supposedly as it cannot Physically read above 137GB.

I will hack around this weekend to see what I can do. If not, no big problem as I will just use my WinXP Laptop. It is listed as also working with Windows Vista, so should I finally bite the bullet and get a new PC, it should be fine as they are starting to come with Vista now.

If it won't work with my Windows 98 I think I'll just go ahead and format it to NTFS as it copes with large files unlike fat32 and also it appears Linux can finally read NTFS drives now as well.
Old May 2, 2007, 12:23 PM   #9
SH

I use 2 copies of data dvd rw, usually stored in the dark..

For rvgcam, you can break the 137 Gb barrier by using Win 98 hacks found here..
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=78592
SH is offline   Reply With Quote