Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:04 PM   #1

[flash=320,256]http://feat.putfile.com/flow/putfile.swf?videoFile=Woodland[/flash]

Just thought I would post a sample video I took at a Wildlife refuge to show how the Aiptek MPVR copes with highly detailed scenery such as woodland.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:33 PM   #2

Green foliage, especially evergreen trees, has a vast amount of detail in it, and this basically overloads the processing capabilities of these cameras. So the mpeg4 compression is highly lossy, and the trees blur out.

This has been a problem for me since this is exactly the environment where I do most of my shooting. Keeping the camera stationary helps a lot, because the camera can map out the trees, then just update whatever's moving.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:05 PM   #3

[media=320,256]http://www.upfordown.com/public/510/piano.ASF[/media]

Video is awesome, I believe it is flash video converted it isstill excellent. Love how the sound ofyour steps is picked up in the hybrid, the trees of green are colourful, as I am not yet near that stage, reason why Ploaroid mishap.

But take note, no matter what color you are filming somethin, orsomeonewill always have a good-or-bad comment

can you say anything about this shot. it is in raw footage a direct dL. (jealous) not

I miss riing50 miles a day in Md mayland LOL at lest ihave footage and not a complain about it being blurred out offucus or compresed, any color any situation it will occure we should be hppy that e have few hybrids that work wonders.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 9:01 AM   #4

It's not just the processing capability, it's the bandwidth as well. There are only about 2.7Mbps available to compress the video on the Aiptek compared to 25Mbps on MiniDV. The more a scene changes, the more thinly spread the bandwidth will be to encode all the minute details.

You can see this when you encode a regular high quality source such as a DVD down to fit an email for example. The lower the bitrate you give it,the more blurred and pixellated it becomes with movement.

When you consider that the Aiptek has roughly a tenth of the bandwidth of the MiniDV, it seems quite amazing that it can capture a detailed woody scene at all :G

Having said that, if you have a subject such as your own kids or family in a highly detailed scene, then I find that because your eyes tend to be drawn to the subject, you don't notice the lack of detail in the background as much. This is why these mpeg cameras make great family 'video snapshot' cameras in my opinion.

Old Apr 26, 2007, 12:18 PM   #5

[flash=320,256]http://feat.putfile.com/flow/putfile.swf?videoFile=Lakeview[/flash]

Here is another video clip from the same location but this time viewing across a Lake. This is a fairly quick pan.There was a reasonable amount of wind as you can hear, but it is no worse than other camcorders that I have used in a similar situation.