Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 17, 2007, 10:27 PM   #121

Seems like the klite codec pack is the way to go for these, its what finally worked so I could view these samples
mzdvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 12:30 PM   #122

So has anyone found something that might work as a lens cover? It is kind of weak they don't have that. These cameras are so small they will get banged up more in pockets next to keys, loose change. I guess that's why we get the nice pouch! I was thinking the cap off a 35mm film case would work. The only problem is where does one find those in this day and age I've been digital for 5 years now! I'm also wondering if there's something we can use as a screen protector. I never should have taken mine off. I can just see it getting scratched pretty easily. So far I've tried the Womble editor and although it will take in MPEG-2 .mov but the export output is MPEG? Not sure if I'm using it right. I'll keep working on it. Obviously the goal is keep the HD native format but be able to edit and maybe compress back to H264?
ehansen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 5:18 PM   #123

I got my go-hd yesterday from Costco.com for $250.

I agree with most of the comments of others, but I wanted to add some Mac-specific stuff for other Mac users who might consider this camera: The Aiptek doesn't include drivers for the Mac, but taking the card out of the camera and plugging it into the computer with a card reader worked fine. The video all played butter-smooth on my 2 ghz (intel core duo) Macbook. I know others have had problems - perhaps Quicktime works better on Apple's own computers compared to Windows? Also, editing is a pleasure, because iMovie edits HD natively. Now we just need some cheap Blu-ray or HD-DVD burners.
mcmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 5:27 PM   #124

Hm, you shouldn't need a driver for the Mac. By plugging the camera with the card into a USB port, it should recognize it as a FAT32 disk the same way it would recognize it through a card reader. There's no driver for Windows, either, only a decoder.

While it's connected to the computer, be sure to hold down the power button after you've opened the flap because the camera doesn't turn on automatically while it's connected like it does under normal usage. I bet that's the step you're missing. Again, it's a quirky camcorder.
MmmmJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 7:05 PM   #125

MmmmJoel, that certainly makes sense to me, and I've never had to install software to pull pictures off a camera before. Maybe I'm not doing something right, but when I booted my Mac into Windows, the camera came up just fine in Adobe photoalbum or whatever it's called, and as an external drive. It doesn't happen on the Mac, turning it on, having it on to begin with, or any other sequence I can think of. The USB reader does work though. Strange.
mcmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 7:38 PM   #126

Have the GO-HD and am wondering about a battery issue. I charged one battery by wall outlet yesterday and have charged the other battery by USB today. In both cases, the red light did not go out on the camera (nor did the light turn green indicating battery charged). The camera powers up with both batteries, but the charging is not behaving in the way described in the manual. Not to worry? Just use the batteries and then re-charge?
defense4212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 7:41 PM   #127

Hm, all I can tell you is that my LEDs actually turn green, so the behavior is not universal.
MmmmJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 7:42 PM   #128

I should add - charged both batteries at least 8 hours.
defense4212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 8:48 PM   #129

@defense4212
can you please upload a few original still pictures in 5 MPixel res
from your camera
to
www.megaupload.com ?

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.
hartiberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 11:22 AM   #130
dbg

Does it have an TV-IN so I can use it as a recorder with an external camera?

thanks

dbg
dbg is offline   Reply With Quote