Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 30, 2007, 4:49 PM   #181

I revieved the camera the otherday through Costco and discovered a few issues:

1. The battery cover has a very cheap locking mechanism. Basically there's a single 1/8" square tab that locks the large cover.

2. The battery is easily reversable

3. Slow focusing

4. Horrible audio when recording in car

Fishycomics, I noticed you posted a short video about this camera but no actual footage. Do yo have any samples and input on the focusing issues discussed earlier.

93hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 6:02 PM   #182

dvdivx wrote:
If they upgrade it later on it would be nice if they could do the following:

[/quote]

I was going to say some upgrades like the av input as well?

the battery of the orginal model lasts 1 hour 30 minutes all electronics?

I wonder how long the MZ-DV, and Zoom-dv last?
they have the same or simular optical zoom?

fixed focus lens or should I say sensor? if they have a fixed lens then yes a qquieter motor or elimination of a motor casio seems to have up to 11 seperate lenses fixed, and somehow if read rightit can zoom optical 7x and image shots 10x optical in a lesser megapixal shot.

optical stabilzation will be a loss in megapixal or size

for now I preferre to stand by my mpvr, and keep it.
maybe oneday they'll ad those lil extras just cut out some unneccessary stuff
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 12:00 AM   #183

Does anyone know for sure what the battery life on this thing is? I've heard conflicting reports, and want to be sure before I invest my money into it.
gtbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 12:26 AM   #184

I think the only way you can get good audio in a car is with a very good and expensive mic. Road noise and wind are a bad mix for any cheap mic included on any consumer cam. I plan on posting video's with mine when I get it.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 1:59 AM   #185

dvdivx wrote:
Quote:
I think the only way you can get good audio in a car is with a very good and expensive mic. Road noise and wind are a bad mix for any cheap mic included on any consumer cam. I plan on posting video's with mine when I get it.
I understand having a low cost camera will have some drawbacks, but the audio is absolutely horrible. It appears the audio is distorted for low tones such as my exhaust. It sounds like wind noise but this isn't the case when idling and was confimed with similar results when recording tv audio.

Another issue I discovered was the battery. I was trying to determine the battery length and noticed after an hour the timer was still active but the battery indicator wasn't displayed. Also I noticed on the display the image wasn't moving. All functions were locked up and the case was very hot. I powered down the camera, rebooted and tryed to play back the video. The camera flashed something like card protected. I tested the Transcend 8 GB SDHC on my pc with no luck, not recognized. So, it appears the memory was damaged to the extreme heat created by the battery which is a very small nokia style battery NP-60 ($15).

In conclusion I think the camera has great picture quality with such a small lens, but has a few things to consider.

1. Limited shooting time based on the battery heat and rate (around 30min).
2. Camere doesn't shutdown when overheating or when battery indicator is low
3. Audio is is only acceptable in the mid to high frequencies.
4. Battery cover has a weak design and no battery lock
5. Powers on when opening lcd display, might be an issue when the screen pops out by accident.
6. No option to turn display off

I researched this camera for some time and didn't expect it to be perfect for the price but the battery and heat combo is killing this camera. I get the impression all the R & D was centered around the HD video and averything else was rushed. I think Aiptek is starting the new trend with the compact HD CMOS lens and it wont take long before the HD market will be integrated into our phones.

I guess as long as you monitor the heat from the battery and not leave it recording, it is still a great camera. Also I could just have a bad unit, don't know if I'm the only one with this issue.

Anyways I would post some sample shots but at the moment I'm out of memory.

PS. where's the bloody spell checker around here.....
Old May 31, 2007, 4:00 AM   #186

93hd wrote:

1.* Limited shooting time based on the battery heat and rate (around 30min).
2.* Camere doesn't shutdown when overheating or when battery indicator is low
3.* Audio is is only acceptable in the mid to high frequencies.
4.* Battery cover has a weak design and no battery lock
5.* Powers on when opening lcd display, might be an issue when the screen pops out by accident.
6.* No option to turn display off

Anyways I would post some sample shots but at the moment I'm out of memory.

PS. where's the bloody spell checker around here.....
[/quote]

1 the manual tells you the camera gets very hot, does not tel you the outcome if it does andwhat to do?

2 the sd /mmc sdhc whatever. likes certain cards, and ifnot liked causes a crash, could be a bad sector battery glitch 3volts is required as low as 2.4vdc.

4 was zoom used when recording , or was the hybrid Just standing by on recording, fins could have been built in to the capaciter, or heat defelctor shields, but that would bulk the hybrid up

5 lcd on/of there is a trick to trick it it is open record shut within time in a post.

6 on.off a magnet is what turns on the hybrid it is theirswitch, feel like opening it up to get to you can take it out no more turning on/off
Ispan has the same but no side locking tabs more a headache, Aiptek never had that problem , unless thsoe tabs are gone on this model.

7 30 minutes is average battery time som have mentioned around 1 hr.

so far around 10 owners and I am sitting on the side lines
would had all of this in my review?

8 sound is mono/mono and depending on time and weather it will produce a good quality. I had an excellent shot in the Is-dv review and in here music from a volleyball torniment etc

wish Aiptek sent these devices to a few testers like us and go some feedback for a fix.
once tehy have this model out for a good year they'l fix them
you'll see a new model in around august
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 8:39 AM   #187

Quote:
4. Battery cover has a weak design and no battery lock
So it sounds like they haven't changed the battery cover design since the MPVR. It really is a poor design, since the tab is placed in a vertical orientation meaning the full weight of the cover is on it. If you pull it out of a case or pocket you can easily leave the cover behing.

Quote:
5. Powers on when opening lcd display, might be an issue when the screen pops out by accident.
Not really a problem as the device auto powers off after a fixed period of time. Anyway, the screen is also unlikely to pop out, it's actually quite secure unless the design is totally different to the MPVR.

Quote:
6. No option to turn display off
This really isn't a design fault as the device has no optical view finder so it would be rather pointless being able to turn the display off although in webcam mode it may do so. I cannot remember on my MPVR as I don't use it in that mode, but for regular videoing there wouldn't be a lot of point.

I do agree that Aiptek seem to have some annoying design faults that if they would only rectify, would make reasonable cameras into much better ones, but then again they are a small consumer electronics company that probably has to maximise their reuse of any particular design. The moment their products improve greatly is probably when we'll see their prices start to edge toward premium territory as well.

When you consider that the Sanyo equivalents are still twice the price, this is an amazing price but then you have to give up some of the design quality. Of course the Canon TX1 is much nearer in price but it uses MPJEG meaning shorter recording times. Canon is actually quite reasonable these days with their prices. I remember when I got my Minolta, they attracted quite a premium for even their low end cameras.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 11:53 AM   #188

Thanks for these detailed comments. I got mine yesterday and was noticing that it was getting hot - I never considered it could fry my 8gb card. Oouch.

So far I am very pleased with the video - almost delighted. The slow focus doesn't bother me that much when I get true HD. However I am surprised at the stills. After about 10 pics, all are blurry except for one. The one that isn't is fantastic but the others are very sensitive to any movement by the subject. Guess I need a tripod or just use this outside.

Still wondering about editing this video if one doesn't have Vista. (I note the comment that editing is possible on with Moviemaker on Vista if one outputs to 720p ntsc. What are others doing for editing if you haven't installed Vista yet on a PC?
kech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:07 PM   #189

@ganeshts

Thanks for also playing with mencoder. It looks promissing.

-------------

Construction Quality of the camera is an issue. Yesterday I noted that the camera is forgetting its time. It always set the clock back to 31st of dec 2005. Maybe this is related to the poor mechanical construction of the battery mounting.

Anyway this is a showstopper for me and I will return this part.
Klayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 1:43 AM   #190

I found more samples from DVI forums which has several great still video shots.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?p=688182

download
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=32NQNAE9

Also for those who are brave enough to take the challenge underwater could use the silicone skin for dept of 12' and 180' with the hard case. The cases can be purchased from B&H located in New York. The skin goes for $72 amd the hard case is $179 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...147&is=REG

Also check out the underwater footage from an Aiptek DV, keep in mind this in not the HD version such as the ZD3000 or GO-HD.
http://www.bonicadive.com/main.jsp?page=118