Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 4, 2007, 6:17 AM   #11

At 6:30 am this morning I had a chance to hook the GO-HD directly up to my Pioneer 50" plasma and the picture quality of the 1 recorded clip I took yesterday was GORGEOUS. It filled the entire screen and was true 16x9. I look forward to taking more clips today.

Oh, BTW, my current Samsung cam does 720x480 at 30 fps so I have some good basis for comparison. I've also owned a number of other Aipteks.

Xphyle
xphyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 8:18 AM   #12

Old HACer wrote:
Quote:
If its like the Zoom DV, the auto focus takes awhile to refocus after using optical zoom.

Is there a zoom bar displayed on the LCD while zooming? If so, it should be in two parts - lower is optical. If you get into the upper part, you are adding digital zoom to the optical zoom.

My Sanyo C40 works the same way, although the transition not completely continuous in that it will stop after it has used up the optical zoom, and requires you to press the zoom button again to continue in digital so it is obvious you are in the digital zoom portion. Does the Aiptek work in the same way or is it like other digital cameras in that it continuously moves from optical to digital zoom?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 9:47 AM   #13

Ok! Back! Color me impressed with this camera. Here's the deal with the optical zoom. When you zoom in, it takes a moment for the autofocus to "catch up". So once you zoom in, give it a second or two, and the zoomed image will be crystal clear. I'm now going to upload 3 files. Probably to Megaupload.com. I think downloading the raw files is the best way to see the quality of the camera as opposed to viewing them on utube all compressed. I'll post back in a bit with the links.

OH, one more thing. IMPORTANT! I've tried to view these files with 3 different programs. FOR ME.. quicktime was CHOPPY, nero showtime was better, but only Windows Media player 11 was able to play the files butter smooth for me. So bear in mind that if your PC is playing back the files and stuttering, it's not the camera but your PC that's having trouble playing the files back. Trust me on this one, cause they play back on my PC smooth as SILK.

Xphyle
Old May 4, 2007, 10:59 AM   #14

xphyle wrote:
Quote:
Ok! Back! Color me impressed with this camera. Here's the deal with the optical zoom. When you zoom in, it takes a moment for the autofocus to "catch up". So once you zoom in, give it a second or two, and the zoomed image will be crystal clear. I'm now going to upload 3 files. Probably to Megaupload.com. I think downloading the raw files is the best way to see the quality of the camera as opposed to viewing them on utube all compressed. I'll post back in a bit with the links.

OH, one more thing. IMPORTANT! I've tried to view these files with 3 different programs. FOR ME.. quicktime was CHOPPY, nero showtime was better, but only Windows Media player 11 was able to play the files butter smooth for me. So bear in mind that if your PC is playing back the files and stuttering, it's not the camera but your PC that's having trouble playing the files back. Trust me on this one, cause they play back on my PC smooth as SILK.

Xphyle
The autofcous issue is not unusual. My Sanyo C40 suffers from this due to slow autofocus as well. This issue lead some customer reviewers to complain that ALL photos were blurry when this wasn't the case. They were just not allowing the autofocus enough time to do its job.

Yes this is one of the problems with High Definition files is that they have a high bandwidth and can cause problems on older PCs. But this is to be expected as even the standard definition files from the regular Aipteks and Sanyos can stutter on older PC's.

Out of interest, what is the bitrate for the GO-HD? The regular Aipteks are around 2.7Mps for comparison.

Have you tried vlc player from http://www.videolan.org? One nice advantage of vlc player is that it will play quicktime files full screen. Only the Pro version of Quicktime allows this.

Old May 4, 2007, 11:41 AM   #15

Ok, sorry for the long wait. Here are the much anticapated sample video files from the GO-HD:

First file: Zoom Test #1 (12 MB):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NT4HITHM

Second file: Zoom Test #2 (9 MB):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C8TKUW26

Third File: Simple Panoramic (14 MB):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=63XP6M5P

Enjoy and please leave some comments. Happy to try out some different stuff upon request. Haven't even tried to take a photo yet!

Xphyle
Old May 4, 2007, 12:46 PM   #16

Thanks for those clips. It looks like Aiptek has a winner here! Those clips were stunning. It was like watching a moving photograph. They were crisp and sharp. Gorgeous. I noticed the bitrate seems to only be about 4Mbpswhich isn't a lot higher than the regular camcorders and lower than the Sanyo's at 9Mbps. Surely the H264 codec can't be *that* efficient?!

I also had trouble playing the clips. Vlcplayer is supposed to be able to play the H264 clips but all I see is a still image while the sound continues albeit. I had to use Quicktime and even then at times it could be a bit stuttery. My 2.6GHz PC can easily handle hidef video from the Sanyos which has a higher bitrate so I am assuming it is the codec that is the problem on my system. I cannot use Windows media 11 as it is incompatible with my ipaq Pocket PC and kept annoying me with a message so I went back to version 10.

Did the camera come with a codec on the CD to install that will decode the video better? I tried to look for drivers on aipteks website but there is nothing for the GO-HD.

Anyway I am really going to have to stop myself from going out and buying one of these!
Old May 4, 2007, 12:57 PM   #17

Hey RGV! Glad you liked the video. Yes, the GO-HD came with a CD that has a decoder on it that you can put on your PC to help decode the video. Since Media Player 11 worked fine for me, I didnt bother installing it yet.

Looks like the rest of your message was cut off.

Xphyle
Old May 4, 2007, 5:49 PM   #18

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for those clips. It looks like Aiptek has a winner here! Those clips were stunning.
Rgv?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Here i always here you say that dreaded word? yep it is there and noticable. but

:|WOW that is a Mighty fine shot.

. thank you for t he Dl,
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 9:09 AM   #19

xphyle,

You say it played in Windows media player 11? I tried to play it and just got no video and screeching! Are you sure you don't have some kind of third party h264 codec installed?

I am surprised that vlc player doesn't play it as it is supposed to have an h264 decoder. Well it does play it, but the video stays still and you just hear the sound. On my laptop the Quicktime is very choppy. It plays Sanyo HD1/2 video at twice the bitrate beautifully. Anyone know of of good freeware h264 coded for Windows media player?

Old May 6, 2007, 9:17 AM   #20

As per manual, and site it is wmp capatable wmp 10,11 you'll need to have the cdr disk o f Aiptek? with it codecs?

1 Aiptek will not supply quicktime. why is that? they have permission andsupply wmp 9 with codecs?

added note*

What I may like about the older version mpvr is the size of the fie les info, and quicker load time to the internet?

what I will like if I get mine will be the quality of displaying on the tv, rather online. that to me would be important
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote