Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 6, 2007, 12:25 PM   #21

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
xphyle,

You say it played in Windows media player 11? I tried to play it and just got no video and screeching! Are you sure you don't have some kind of third party h264 codec installed?

I am surprised that vlc player doesn't play it as it is supposed to have an h264 decoder. Well it does play it, but the video stays still and you just hear the sound. On my laptop the Quicktime is very choppy. It plays Sanyo HD1/2 video at twice the bitrate beautifully. Anyone know of of good freeware h264 coded for Windows media player?

Hey Rgvcam. Yes, I played it in Windows Media Player 11. I do have installed the k-lite codec pack which contains a decoder for h.264 so you might need to DL that one. It's free and always up to date.

Here's the deal with the playback. On my desktop pc, 2GHZ ram, Pentium 4 3.0GHZ, using WMP 11 gives me the best results, thought NOT BUTTERY SMOOTH. This codec must require serious horsepower to run it smoothly. BUT, on my INTEL DUAL CORE LAPTOP using WMP 11 (with the k-lite codec pack), it is absolutlely smooth with no jitters, stutters, or anything. So I'm gonna take a wild guess that it just requires a monster PC to run. I sent a file to my father and he said it played smooth on his desktop, but he's got a new monster maching with core2duo, etc. In addition, FYI, it plays buttery smooth if you hook the cam up to the tv with the supplied component cables and play the file with the camera (as expected, I'm sure).

Also FYI, I've decided to keep the camera. The video looks and plays so astoundingly good compared to any other hybrid cam I've used, that it is a no brainer to keep it.

Maybe I could try to upload the codec off the cd for you?

Best regards,

Xphyle
xphyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 12:58 PM   #22

http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/5512p1.html
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 2:53 PM   #23

That is what I figured, but he said he hadn't loaded the codec which suggests to me that his sytem may already have an h264 codec on there. I agree, that the quality on the tv is what would make this a real winner as you can always down convert on the pc so others can play it via email. I am impressed so far, but to get a real feel I would need to get hold of Aiptek's codec so I can play these as smoothly as possible to make sure I can before even considering this camera. I don't want to repeat the PVR experience. So far I am impressed considering the file sizes so far!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 3:05 PM   #24

xphyle,

You posted just as I was writing mine (while in a coffeeshop in the mall usinh my Pocket PC!). Sure I'll look into that codec. I suspect as you say it needs a powerful CPU but in the case of initial PC I was using with a 2.6GHZ, it didn't play too bad with Quicktime. The problem with vlcplayer was than the video did not move at all which suggests more of a codec incompatibility than anything. I'll post my findings when I do some more experimenting as this info will be important for others. I wonder how much more power H264 needs than regular mpeg4 though? If you need a seriously more powerful PC to play back than than I was using then this will cause problems as most people won't have the very latest. As I said the Sanyo Hidef cameras play back beautifully even on my Laptop. Anyway xphyle, it looks like Hidef may be about to hit the mainstream with this camera although I am sure the prosumer crowd will find fault with it as they do all these mpeg4 type cameras, even the expensive ones such as the Panasonics etc.
Old May 6, 2007, 3:10 PM   #25

1 codec is not of thevideo but of your player? so yesifyou do not have quicktime 7 or higher then we need to upgrade, and codec? Aiptek does not supply Quicktime, but the codec?

2 did you notice thevideo cropped to show the moire effect? no I say b/c you never commented?

not arguing just seeing if you read that? been awaiting a response?

3 the DL kills my pc too the panaramic one i cansave it , edit it and get a solid white video LMAO. that stops me from Purchasing. unless i have? their software?

XY. what software is given with the Aiptek HD (go-hd) they mention NODDA?

Muvee4.1 does not cut it , it does not support quicktime of h264?

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/

type in hd266 codec you'll find one

I am working on your video, going to play it on the dvd player 42 inch lcd

I used Ulead video suiete8se dvd, and it accepts quicktime, in editing, but direct dvd it needs codecs ?

lost a dvd LMAO

added addt'l info

I loaded to a few programs all looks good. forget me uploading not my file, and two gigs for a 30 sec clip. ifyou go 320x240 it is a PVr in desguise Yesindeed
Old May 6, 2007, 7:33 PM   #26

Sorry Fishy. Didn't catch your questions before. To answer your first question, Aiptek supplies no EDITING software on the CD. There are a grand total of 2 things on the cd. First is the h.264 codec. NOT QUICKTIME, just the CODEC. Not sure *which* h.264 codec is used, but I can tell you that when I installed it on my desktop pc, playback of the files became MUCH smoother. The second item on the cd is the user manual.

Regarding your second question, I'm not sure what you are referring to when talking about the aspect ratio. The video that is recorded in HD mode is true 16x9. I know this because when playing it back on my 16x9 plasma tv, it fills the entire screen and looks gorgeous. Perhaps if you could make you point a bit more clearly I could give the response you are looking for.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Xphyle
xphyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 7:44 PM   #27

xphyle wrote:
Quote:
Sorry Fishy. Didn't catch your questions before. To answer your first question, Aiptek supplies no EDITING software on the CD. There are a grand total of 2 things on the cd. First is the h.264 codec. NOT QUICKTIME, just the CODEC. Not sure *which* h.264 codec is used, but I can tell you that when I installed it on my desktop pc, playback of the files became MUCH smoother. The second item on the cd is the user manual.

Regarding your second question, I'm not sure what you are referring to when talking about the aspect ratio. The video that is recorded in HD mode is true 16x9. I know this because when playing it back on my 16x9 plasma tv, it fills the entire screen and looks gorgeous. Perhaps if you could make you point a bit more clearly I could give the response you are looking for.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Xphyle
Bingo! I installed the k-lite codec pack as recommended and it plays great, nice and smoooth on my lowly Pentium 1.4M laptop. I thought it was probably a problem with the codecs I had installed. I have read that there are several variations on h264 implementations and not all work well.

I already have Quicktime 7 which already includes the codec, but I have found Quicktime in general not very good for playing back video at times, even from my Sanyo C40. It would play the video back fine, but distort the sound of audio resembling white noise such as fountains yet they would play back beautiiully in vlc player.

Also it seems that the h264 library in vlcplayer is not very compatible with the Aiptek video either as it just stops at the first image while the audio plays.

Old May 6, 2007, 8:32 PM   #28

xphyle, could you post some more videos, including indoor lighting videos and videos showing a person's face (whether indoor or outdoor)? Grateful for what you've posted so far but still hesitating on this cam until I see some more examples.

And thanks to all who have posted the many informative comments here.
defense4212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 9:09 PM   #29

x.

1as I mention crop it is on the first page a vid I edited of yours showing the moire efx.

2 cdr without anything but a codec ha!

you answered my questions thank you.

I will not Purchase a device that offers little to nothing again.

like my JVC camcorder a driver, and a navigation only. how are you going to edit the video's?

.mov does not work with win moviemaker? normost of Aiptek;s software?

I was able to work with it in presto , from DXG/Hanshing supplier Newsoft, and Arc converter aipteks supplier

So for the codec it is clearly a serch engine

http://www.afreecodec.com/win/268/vp3-for-quicktime/

enjoy the hybrid:G
Old May 6, 2007, 9:19 PM   #30

I haven't been able to see that video from www.upfordown.com due to it being unavailable.