Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:57 PM   #301
tzm

I agree with rgvcam that if it is just for recording kids and their play and some family gatherings, this is a good bargin for its picture quality. That's what I am going to use the camera for anyways. I played with it a little bit and like it so far. If you want to do fancy stuff and record too much movement, low light and want great audio, then this one is not quite up to speed. Remember, it is only $250.00. I just hope it lasts for a little while.

So far as playback goes, I just coded to wmv HD in Vista Window Movie Maker and then play it on a media player called Modix. Basically, I just copied the wmv file on to a flash drive and then plug the flash drive into Modix, which is hooked up to my 720p HDTV with component video. If the file gets too big, I will just copy it on to my USB external drive and then plug it into Modix.

So I am set for a while and won't use the old DV camera much any more.
tzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:48 AM   #302

Hi!

I am considering buying new pocket size camcorder to replace my good old AiptekDV5700. I bought Casio S770 which has good AVI wrapped H264 AVC video recording and it was cool until I noticed it has 10 minute video recording limit in EU, so I had to return it. Now I am thinking buying Aiptek Go-HD, it is littlebit more expensive here 383 €, my other choise is Sanyo Xacti HD2, but it is even more expensive 685 €. So my only choise seem to be Go-HD if I want better video quality in pocket size camcorders. I have few questions which I am wondering:

1. Can you edit movies inside camera?
2. Can you edit movies with software included with Go-HD?
3. Can you edit video and make DVD's or even HD DVDs?
4. Can you edit and sync stereo audio with video if you have external digital audio recorder?
5. Can you watch Canon avi and jpg files or even other media formats in this camera? ( In DV5700 jpg pictures are showing but not avi clips.)

Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:13 PM   #303

Alan Wake wrote:
Quote:
Hi!

I am considering buying new pocket size camcorder to replace my good old AiptekDV5700. I bought Casio S770 which has good AVI wrapped H264 AVC video recording and it was cool until I noticed it has 10 minute video recording limit in EU, so I had to return it. Now I am thinking buying Aiptek Go-HD, it is littlebit more expensive here 383 €, my other choise is Sanyo Xacti HD2, but it is even more expensive 685 €. So my only choise seem to be Go-HD if I want better video quality in pocket size camcorders. I have few questions which I am wondering:

4. Can you edit and sync stereo audio with video if you have external digital audio recorder?
5. Can you watch Canon avi and jpg files or even other media formats in this camera? ( In DV5700 jpg pictures are showing but not avi clips.)

Yes I have been reading about how Casio put a 10 minute limit on their cameras which is idiotic. Is this an EU mandate or is it just Casio deciding to do this? I am imagining it's Casio since I haven't heard of other devices being limited this way, or are they? But then why only Europe and seemingly only Casio? After all, if it's to prevent you recording a movie in a cinema (I can't imagine why else they would limit the recording time) then why don't they limit ALL small camcorders to 10 minutes?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:46 PM   #304

Hi All,
before I brought the camera back I contacted the German
Aiptek support and got an email from them with the
newest Firmware version 1.400.
Before I only had version 1.100.

Well, okay, the focussing seemed to be better then,
but still no manual mode.
Also the audio distortion problem is still there, if you want to record
louder music.
Also the 3x optical zoom is very bad, cause the lenses are
not very light sensitive, so you get a very dark picture,
if you are already in a low light room, so this is only
good, if you are outside where there are good light conditions..

So all in all I was not satisfied with this camera and brought it back.

Now I will try the Sanyo HD2 camera next.

Regards, Stefan.
hartiberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 2:22 PM   #305

Alan Wake wrote:
Quote:

1. no editing in this hybrid, nore did they supply a editing device catered to quicktime , mac, but gave win media player quicktime, cutting size displayed on pc.

2. as mentioned above no.

3 yes 3rd party or mac you may do this if you have a converter, software and burner.

4 Yes you can edit audio in. to a seperate device like your pc.

5 no we're on .mov. so arc converter, or converting to .mov you need to find the codecs and fps bitrate, can be done, but why would you want to bother on a 30 minute battery life hmm 1 hour was good for me?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 2:58 PM   #306

hartiberlin wrote:
Quote:
Hi All,
before I brought the camera back I contacted the German
Aiptek support and got an email from them with the
newest Firmware version 1.400.
Before I only had version 1.100.

Well, okay, the focussing seemed to be better then,
but still no manual mode.
Also the audio distortion problem is still there, if you want to record
louder music.
Also the 3x optical zoom is very bad, cause the lenses are
not very light sensitive, so you get a very dark picture,
if you are already in a low light room, so this is only
good, if you are outside where there are good light conditions..

So all in all I was not satisfied with this camera and brought it back.

Now I will try the Sanyo HD2 camera next.

Regards, Stefan.
I wouldn't be surprised if you had the same problem with other cameras since most have a high gain mic for normal everyday quieter environments, otherwise you'd only hear what was directly next to you. The upshot of this is that you get clipping of distortion if the sound is too loud like a concert. More expensive devices may have an auto gain mic. The Sanyo HD models do allow an external mic which may help though you might want to post in the Sanyo forum to get opinions from there.

Last concert I went to they were confiscating cameras so it has never really been an issue for me LOL

Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:14 PM   #307

rgv, as this hybrid is not made for loud Enviorements. I need confirmation on their everyda use.

locate my review as it is open.andDl just one of the videos'
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 3:35 PM   #308

My brand new exchange Go-HD came in today!! And it works 100% better than the old broken one, I'm so glad I exchanged.

First of all, I noticed that this new one has the new firmware, and the old one did not. On the old one, the still flash was called "Flashlight" and on this one it's "Flash Strobe". Plus the beep is higher pitched and less annoying.

Video quality is MUCH better than before, very VERY nice now. If you're considering getting this camera, check out these 2 great clips I took at the pool today:

http://rapidshare.com/files/38571458/FILE0013.MOV.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/38572508/FILE0014.MOV.html
Davers! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:16 PM   #309

Thanks for quick answers. Too bad editing is so cumbersome, I watched some of these demo clips and they are too choppy in my computer, so I can't even display them properly, I am using alternative Media Player Classic 6.4.9.0, with proper codec and everything. I really have to consider buying something else, perhaps not HD camcorder, becouse it is hard to edit and hard to record to DVD. But it must be pocket size camcorder, maybe Panasonic SDR-S10 or Samsung VP-X 300 L, what you think about these camcorders? Maybe I need 10X zoom after all and stereo sound, HD Isn't in top of my priority list, but pocket size is. I was very pleased with Casio S770 it could display all my avi videos and pictures and could record good 16:9 video also, but without zoom and with this 10 minute limit which just isn't enough for me. I want camcorder which could replace my DV5700 with better quality, what you are recommending?
Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:26 PM   #310

Alan Wake wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for quick answers. Too bad editing is so cumbersome, I watched some of these demo clips and they are too choppy in my computer, so I can't even display them properly, I am using alternative Media Player Classic 6.4.9.0, with proper codec and everything. I really have to consider buying something else, perhaps not HD camcorder, becouse it is hard to edit and hard to record to DVD. But it must be pocket size camcorder, maybe Panasonic SDR-S10 or Samsung VP-X 300 L, what you think about these camcorders? Maybe I need 10X zoom after all and stereo sound, HD Isn't in top of my priority list, but pocket size is. I was very pleased with Casio S770 it could display all my avi videos and pictures and could record good 16:9 video also, but without zoom and with this 10 minute limit which just isn't enough for me. I want camcorder which could replace my DV5700 with better quality, what you are recommending?
Have you looked at the Sanyo Xacti Series? I have the Sanyo C40 and it is a nice little camera. It has a 5.8x Zoom and stereo sound too.