Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:12 PM   #381

Hi all,
i got ulead 11 plus today and have been trying to get my .mov file to work, when i run it, its jumpy and very slow and i tried batch convertor to make it a avi then tried on another one to wma, files are jumpy and very slow and see not to work how do i convert my mov files so I can edit them. And how do I work this thing lol... can someone help before i rip whats left of my hair out.
brian
zenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:45 AM   #382

In addition to using Vista Movie Maker / DVD Maker which works with the native mov files, I use RAD Tools to convert my mov files to avi anytime I want to edit a video in VirtualDub. Works well. Can also use RAD Tools to demux audio to wav and edit the audio separately if needed using Audacity.

Using Quicktime Alternative and the codecs from Aiptek CD that came with Go-HD.

dnakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 12:53 PM   #383

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=92

above is a link, below is a format various programs that work, and different thumb nails .

1 asf format I like I see a thumb nail of the video

2 quicktime yes it is not windows but mac,

3 windows media player variation of quicktime

both have no thumb nail for windows hmmmm

Shot at 2007-06-29
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 3:52 PM   #384

I've researched conversions quite a bit. I don't think I've seen this mentioned here but the best results I found were with using Mencoder with the following settings:

mencoder %1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vbitrate=6000 -oac pcm -o %2

This is a .bat file command line and the input file would be your GO HD .mov file as %1 and the output as %2 as an AVI file. Mencoder will not convert the GO HD .mov file into a container other than AVI because of B-Frames. Mencoder comes with the MPlayer package and MPlayer may play the resultant AVI with audio out of sync however the AVI files play in sync using the K-Lite Classic Media Player and render in sync with all the video editors I tried like Ulead's MSP 7, Sony Movie Studio Platinum, etc. Note that though you can use other audio codecs not all editors will like them so PCM is the safest.

The only video editor I found that I was able to import GO HD files and render in different formats and even edit was Nero Vision but it performed clipping putting 16 pixel black vertical bars on each side. The folks at Nero know about this and are interested in fixing it as other QT movies in 720p format don't do this. The GO HD files do not have a QT "clip" atom so I'm not sure why their engine is adding bars.

The GO HD files are a little quirky as the audio seems to be marked AAC but is not.

You can get mencoder as the mplayer archive here:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/

And here are a couple of GUI's for mencoder I've tried with success so you can batch process:

http://mewig.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/smsg/

I also tried the remuxing tool that someone mentioned earlier on this forum but folks must not have noticed the audio is out of sync. The GO HD files are straight 30 fps no drop frame (or 29.97 fps) and some of the converters may be assuming drop frame causing the audio to get off. The nice thing about 30 fps is it converts quickly and nicely to 24 fps so you could actually use this camera to "steal" shots for a feature film. And I bet some indy folks will actually try to make a feature length film with the camera which could be very doable and of course you would use a seperate audio recording system which you do on professional films anyway.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 5:13 PM   #385

I think that with the 1.5 firmware the camera no longer heats up after long video clips. Just did an 8 minute clip and the camera wasn't "hot" like it was before.

Apart from the name changes such as flashlight to strobe, anybody notice any other improvements?
kech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 10:08 PM   #386

I have no hard evidence, but i feel that the auto focus is much quicker than before. I could be totally wrong, but it felt obvious to me. I might need to test it some more. It seemed like it does more 'searching' than before. Less lag.
Type2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 5:45 AM   #387

it will work fine until you move in a fst lane or night time
Old Jun 30, 2007, 9:55 AM   #388

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Most cameras have problems with autofocus as night, probably due to the fact they use contrast detection for this. If the background has very little contrast ie such as the background being similar color to the subject this will cause problems. Some cameras of course are better at others and the better ones now use a focusing lamp to help get over this.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:16 PM   #389

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Most cameras have problems with autofocus as night, probably due to the fact they use contrast detection for this. If the background has very little contrast ie such as the background being similar color to the subject this will cause problems. Some cameras of course are better at others and the better ones now use a focusing lamp to help get over this.
I agree 100%. That's why having a manual focus or fixed focus mode for this camera would have been fantastic. So far I still love my Go-HD. No regrets.
Type2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2007, 12:42 PM   #390

when I got mine the camera had no focal point in a fst moving car at low light?

a manual / auto would be great?