Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 8, 2007, 11:50 AM   #41

xphyle,

One test you need to do, is an audio/sync one. Aipteks have had known problems with this in the past so it's important that this camera doesn't have this otherwise it doesn't matter how good the video is!

I guess videoing people or a person talking is the obvious test. The problem is that it doesn't always show up straight away either as I found out with the PVR.

I found out that Aiptek USA only had 10 units of the GO-HD which explains why they went so fast!

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 5:21 PM   #42

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
xphyle,

One test you need to do, is an audio/sync one. Aipteks have had known problems with this in the past so it's important that this camera doesn't have this otherwise it doesn't matter how good the video is!

I guess videoing people or a person talking is the obvious test. The problem is that it doesn't always show up straight away either as I found out with the PVR.

I found out that Aiptek USA only had 10 units of the GO-HD which explains why they went so fast!
Already done RGV. That was one of the first things I looked at actually. I've been messing with this thing for the last 2 days and filming my kids, etc, and there are absolutely NO lipsynch problems whatsoever. Actually, if you look at the first video I took (the 38 MB one I uploaded at the beginning of this thread) you can see at the very end my kids come in and start talking and it's perfectly in synch.

Others have wondered about the low light quality. That same 38 MB file has me panning back and forth through my kitchen, family room and dining area. The kitchen is well lit, the family room is dark with light coming through a bay window, and the eating area is dark with light coming through a sliding glass door. That should give people a good idea at how the camera adjusts to varying light situations. I think it does a fine job actually. Adjusts very quickly.

That's funny that Aiptek USA only had 10 units! I got mine from Buy.com. Wonder how many they got?

Xphyle.
xphyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 5:26 PM   #43

xphyle, can you re-post that indoor video? I've looked through the thread and can't find a link to it. Many thanks!
defense4212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 5:49 PM   #44

he never posted or fogot or sent a PM ?

[line]

Casio V7 looks very promising 100 minutes batt time 20 plus munites wide screen and more options in video? and stereo
[line]

1. Do you think the casio may be a better h268? at 7x optical zoom and 4x (differents tabilizers)?

2 they claim it has a correction for low light and different modes over 30 about 43 if read right?

now that the Aiptek go-hd "DOES NOT" have a mp3 does this make it off the hybrid list? even though it holds a hybrid shape? observation?

3. software is an issue ? while casio suppliesediting in the hybrid did Aiptek as well, andcasio provides quicktime software and editing tools? that to me is a company that provides than takes away from its quality?

all opinions?

what are your thoughts?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 6:36 PM   #45

Hey Fishy, that Casio may use h.264 for the video compression which is good, but I don't believe the video it produces is HD. I'm guessing still 640x480. Did you see any specs on it, I couldn't find it on the website.

Xphyle
Old May 8, 2007, 6:57 PM   #46

defense4212 wrote:
Quote:
xphyle, can you re-post that indoor video? I've looked through the thread and can't find a link to it. Many thanks!
Oh, MAN! My bad. I thought I upped it and it appears that I didn't. I just uploaded it. Here is the link for you all.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8G9ZEKX6

One note, and I keep saying this. This files plays perfectly on my laptop. Everything is totally in sync. On my older desktop pc, the video gets jittery/choppy. I think it depends on if your pc has the horsepower to run it or not. But you'll have to take my word for it that it is perfectly in sync if your hardware cant play it smoothly.

Xphyle
Old May 8, 2007, 8:47 PM   #47

Thanks xphyle. Based on your postings I am ordering the Aiptek GO-HD. Not perfect by any stretch but hopefully good enough considering the price. I expect it to arrive in about a week and I'll post my impressions once I've used it a bit.
defense4212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 9:10 PM   #48

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
now that the Aiptek go-hd "DOES NOT" have a mp3 does this make it off the hybrid list? even though it holds a hybrid shape? observation?
Well the mp3 part of these hybrids has always been inconsequential to me. I think that the forum would be better renamed to something like "SD Memory Card Camcorders & Hybrids" to also cover devices that are not hybrids and better reflect that the primary function of these devices is video. While mainstream brands such as Canon, Panasonic and Sanyo have their own forums, it would also allow users freedom to talk generally about these SD camcorder devices when comparing to others although if the post is very device specific then they can post in that particular forum in this case. For example, you say that the Aiptek GO-HD doesn't belong in a hybrid forum anymore, in which case the next logical choice would be a new Aiptek forum, but then you would need one for Mustek then DXG and so on which would cause unnecessary proliferation of forums when one forum name as I suggested should be sufficient. As companies such as Aiptek mature, I believe they will start to move away from hybrids with MP3 function and more into regular camcorder devices so a new forum name would allow for this.

What do others think?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 10:53 PM   #49

Given both the convergence and divergence of technologies, I think it's a waste of time to try to exactly define what constitutes a hybrid camera. An interesting question, yes, but let's spend our time sharing information about the cameras we're interested in. Heck, the first cameras we call hybrids didn't have mp3 players.

I also don't mind overlap with other forums. I quite happily mention the Samsung i and NV series here, although they don't look like hybrids. And the Minikets and Xacti's get discussed elsewhere without any problems.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 3:33 AM   #50

xphyle wrote:
Quote:
Hey Fishy, that Casio may use h.264 for the video compression which is good, but I don't believe the video it produces is HD. I'm guessing still 640x480. Did you see any specs on it, I couldn't find it on the website.

Xphyle

http://exilim.casio.com/v7/

The GO-HD comprises 720P (1280x720 resolution / 16:9 aspect ratio) at 30 frames per second using advanced H.264 technology.

while casio 848x 480

what defines wide screen? Looks like Yes theAiptek isa lot wide and mor compressed?

No I am not seperating the Aiptek out of this forum or asking? I just mentioning that It is losing all of its glory of a hybrid and advancing to the big boys?

Will review that videw when again pdated with Quiktime

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote