Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:52 PM   #491

I've stopped using MEncoder to convert the Aiptek .MOV files to DVD-compliant MPEG2 files because of a resulting audio-video sync glitch with some files (not sure if it's the .mov files or the program).

I now use Nero Vision 4 to convert the files into DVD-MPEG2,the quality is much better than MEncoder, and most importantly there's no sync glitch. I use the following video settings in Nero Vision:

Quality Setting=High Quality; Sample Format=Progressive; Encoding Mode=Fast Encoding (1-Pass); Aspect Ratio=16:9; Audio Format=LPCM (AC-3 2.0 alsogood but video won't smart render in Ulead VideoStudio)

You can convert each file individually, or stitch together multiple filesand use Scene Detection later on. I then use Ulead VideoStudio 11 to edit/add titles/music. When I'm done, the project Smart Renders, only rendering the titles & transitions. The resulting video quality is the best you'll get on DVD.

What I need now is a HD-DVD player...
eugene2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:42 PM   #492

None of my mencoder encoded files were out of sync. It is perhaps the players you are trying to play them back on that for some reason have a problem. The converted files worked fine in all NLEs I tried and remained in sync. However like you I use Nero just because it will do HD mpeg. I have an AVeL Linkplayer2 which can play those so no need for an HD-DVD player though I'll probably pick one up when we see what they have for the Xmas season. Supposedly there will be $200 players available and maybe some of the companies will included Divx, MP4 and WMV playback too which my Linkplayer2 can do in HD (not just upscaling but HD files in those formats).

MY big problem is my HD set is 7 years old and therefore component only. That will work for HD-DVD since they aren't downscaling on component (and may never) but the player won't upscale regular DVDs over component so I have to also keep the LP2 around because it does upscale over component plus it is a network player too.

I haven't found a utility to walk the MOV files and count the B-Frames. I strongly think it is the B-Frames that are causing the sync problem in players as they try to play them and that will slow down the video putting it behind the audio. If you play the MOV files with the command line MPlayer with the -framedrop option the video and audio will stay in sync.

Aiptek engineers are probably putting the B-Frames in so you can move back and forth through the files for playback. Sanyo HD2 MP4 files which use the same second edition of the Ambarella chipset play smoothly so it must be the MOV wrapper (there's not that much difference between a QT files and an MP4 since MP4 uses the QT wrapper).

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 11:44 AM   #493

I'm having an issue when creating DVD's that i'm hoping someone can help me with.

The video looks great except in scenes where I do a pan (left/right movement). The image has a ghosting look...which seems like an interlacing problem, where you can see two frames at the same time.

Has anyone else encountered this? And is there a work-around? Or am I doing something wrong (encoding perhaps)? Or is this simply a limitation of the Aiptek GO-HD?

Thanks!
Old Aug 17, 2007, 3:35 PM   #494

What is your workflow and what tools are you using? Using un-prepared GO HD files in some editors will produce that effect as I think they are throwing in the B-Frames which are not needed and create that kind of display. In particular that happened with Vegas Movie Studio (which could never decode the audio either).

Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:24 PM   #495

I use either MEncoder or Nero Vision to convert the .MOV to MPEG2 files. I then use Nero Vision to author the DVD (I use Ulead VideoStudio to edit, but the ghosting shows up whether I edit or not).

Actually I connected the Aiptek GO-HD directly to my Plasma for the first time today using the component inputs. First of all... WOW!!!The picture quality is absolutely amazing (makes me wanna run out and buy a HD-DVD player to take full advantage of the camera)... But the ghosting is still present in certain pans.

I'm actually thinking it may have to with the camera recording in 30fps instead of 60fps which HDTV's display. As I said, it doesn't happen all the time. I may have to pan either slower, or faster to avoid the problem. Anyone else have any insight?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:30 PM   #496

i'm using nero recode from HD mov to HD mp4 format then nero vision from HD mp4 to mpeg2 DVD copy look great
kuya_ed2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:55 PM   #497

Kuya_ed2007, I'm not sure why you convert to HD MP4...or is this the format you edit in before authoring to DVD?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 7:07 AM   #498

I have good success handling my .mov files with Womble mpeg video wizard. Very easy to edit video, make transitions and output to mpeg 1920 x 1080. You can even select the bitrate and picture looks amazingly good. Will save these files to make HD-DVDs in the future.
Dany2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 3:44 PM   #499

eugene2007 wrote:
Quote:
I use either MEncoder or Nero Vision to convert the .MOV to MPEG2 files. I then use Nero Vision to author the DVD (I use Ulead VideoStudio to edit, but the ghosting shows up whether I edit or not).

Actually I connected the Aiptek GO-HD directly to my Plasma for the first time today using the component inputs. First of all... WOW!!!The picture quality is absolutely amazing (makes me wanna run out and buy a HD-DVD player to take full advantage of the camera)... But the ghosting is still present in certain pans.

I'm actually thinking it may have to with the camera recording in 30fps instead of 60fps which HDTV's display. As I said, it doesn't happen all the time. I may have to pan either slower, or faster to avoid the problem. Anyone else have any insight?
Okay then what you are probably seeing I have seen just in regular playback and properly converted files. My first HD camera was the JVC HD1 which also shoots in 720p and I would see that IF I had the shutter left at default which was 60 fps. But setting it to 30 fps produced a motion blur which looked better on screen. My other HD camera it is a Sony HC1 which does 1080i and with that mode the interlace allows for smoother non-ghosted panning. JVC users referred to the ghosting as "jutter." But you will also find this in professional 35mm motion pictures too even in a theater. We just don't tend to look for it unless you work with video or film.

On the GO HD often see the wobble effect during panning instead which some folks here have speculated is due to no buffer in the camera.

Old Aug 18, 2007, 3:46 PM   #500

I say just pan a lot slower . we all pan way too fast, and we all rrush shots

take the time allowextra footage you'll be super happy , I need to learn that LOL great info BTW
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote