Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 27, 2007, 7:39 AM   #511

When I open the file in TMPGenc DVD Author it says it's interlaced, and if I author the DVD as is (or use Nero Vision to author), there's no question the resulting movie is interlaced...especially noticable on a big-screen.

Nero Vision doesn't give me the option to author the DVD in progressive format, but using TMPGenc, selecting Progressive, the final movie is definitely 480p. There are times the image almost looks likes HD.
eugene2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 2:31 PM   #512

Nero should fix that then. Any that I've authored using their program gets upscaled on my player anyway so I wouldn't have noticed. But I have been using DVD Movie Factory and more recently Sony DVD Architect and both give the progressive option. DVD Architect lets me use text buttons instead of icons for navigation which makes the DVD looks more like a commercial DVD.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:20 PM   #513

Has anyone had any issues with the screen on the camera not working? I've had this thing for about a month, and after about 2 weeks, the screen started acting funny. First it would only show a picture if I swiveled the screen around to face the same way as the lens, and then turned it back around to face the button-side. The three buttons on the screen stopped working around this time. A few days later the image started looking posterized, and finally it stopped appearing altogether. So now I can shoot video and take stills, but I can't see what I'm shooting. Waiting for Aiptek's support to send me an RMA so I can get it repaired, but they're taking their sweet time.

xzevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 5:10 PM   #514

if you can hook up to the tube does it work? that to me is the ribbon cable came loose
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 9:25 PM   #515

Thanks for the suggestions on DVD authoring software Hdguy. I'll have to check them out!
eugene2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2007, 10:47 PM   #516

Thanks Fishy, I plugged it into the TV, but it wasn't working as I'd set it to HDTV. The screen on the camera is displaying something, but so faint that it's just about impossible to see. I was able to somehow navigate the menus (the joystick isn't working quite right either, it beeps as if the joystick has moved to a new selection, but doesn't always move) and get it to NTSC, but then it was in some sort of test mode once I left Settings, with the options of Flash, Key, Motor and Noise. After a few attempts, I got out of test mode, but the screen remains dead.

Was the Brightness option ever in the Settings menu? It's listed in the manual, but I don't have it as an option on the camera, was hoping to test that and see if it had any affect.

Guess I'll just have to shoot blind 'til Aiptek decides to get back to me.
xzevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 3:09 AM   #517

settings second screen 4th one mosy likely
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2007, 4:19 PM   #518

This last week I have been examining GO HD files some more. I built one little utility to dump the AVC video chunks but AVC compared to MPEG-2 is such a complicated codec it was next to impossible to figure out what I was looking at without doing a lot of reading first. Apparently AVC has a coding standard that allows things to be in different places unlike MPEG-2 where byte so and so is always the same thing. I was looking to build a frame type counter so I could see how many B-frames or slices there are in a GO HD file. Fortunately while looking for more documentation on AVC I stumbled across a little utility that does what I want:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=123076

And yes, B-frames or slices do comprise most of a GO HD file (and probably the A-HD too). This as I suspected is why so many players have a problem with the files. A mencoder transcode to AVC does not have any B-frames. Also looking at a Sanyo HD2 MP4 file no B-frames were found. The HD2 also uses the Ambarella A2 chip. The only reason I can figure the Aiptek engineers include B frames is so you can go backward through the file with the viewfinder. But AVC is pretty complex so there may be other reasons. I do note that players have much less of a problem with my replacement camera's files than the original camera's. The replacement has the 1.5 firmware. I plan to do further investigation to see if I can uncover any differences in the file headers that might acount for this. What I notice with my original camera uncoverted files is that the frames get played at about half speed. With mencoder it is almost like they compare the audio timing against the video and if there is a mismatch adjust it to the audio timing.

In AVI files you usually set the amount of microseconds for a frame in the header. I'm not sure this is true with the QT GO HD files so I need to do some more reading. What I'd like to do is fix the files somehow so that they'll play properly without recoding. What I'm hoping is possible is to walk the file and change timings to get this effect. Fortunately the QT (and thus the MP4 wrapper) is pretty simple.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:24 PM   #519

underwater housingforGO-HD
Attached Images

kuya_ed2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:57 PM   #520

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
[...]The HD2 also uses the Ambarella A2 chip.[...]
Just a correction: the Sanyo HD2 does not use an Ambarella chip, it's using two custom Sanyo chips;the HD2does not record AVC/H.264 video, it records MPEG-4 part 2 (SP) video.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote