Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 13, 2007, 4:44 AM   #71

Hybrid camera don't seem to be a big market here in the U.K. not to many stores sell themeven the online company I bought my 8900 for has stopped selling hybrids.

One probelm is the cost. the U.K can be expensive when it comes to electricals I imagine that when the GO-HD or the Z 300 D(if thats the european model) is available it will be a lot more than the $279 in the USA and you can pick up mini DV cameras pretty close to that price.
harold1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 7:18 AM   #72

Hi xphyle,

Thanks for that great videos. Really impressing good quality for the buck. It seems that camera has some problems if there is too much motion in the picture. But anyway it is good.
One question: Does the camera have a automatic stabilizier and did you switch it on?
Would you be so kind to post a couple of still pictures.

Thanks in advance. Martin

PS: Playing back under Vista was no problem once I had quicktime alternative installed. Even under Vista Mediacenter everything works as expected.

Editing with Movie Maker also works like a charm and provided very good result if you use NTSC 720p as output. Using PAL did not work so well because I guess the framerate is 30 frame per second.

Klayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 8:20 AM   #73

WMM (win Moviemaker) are you sure ? is there a difference with vista andxp? it is a .mov? and not liked I hear?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 8:36 AM   #74

Klayer wrote:
Quote:
Hi xphyle,

Thanks for that great videos. Really impressing good quality for the buck. It seems that camera has some problems if there is too much motion in the picture. But anyway it is good.
One question: Does the camera have a automatic stabilizier and did you switch it on?
Would you be so kind to post a couple of still pictures.

Thanks in advance. Martin

PS: Playing back under Vista was no problem once I had quicktime alternative installed. Even under Vista Mediacenter everything works as expected.

Editing with Movie Maker also works like a charm and provided very good result if you use NTSC 720p as output. Using PAL did not work so well because I guess the framerate is 30 frame per second.

Thanks Klayer. I'm really enjoying the camera thusfar. What problems are you detecting if there is too much motion in the picture? Just curious, because thusfar I have detected no problems whatsoever. If the video gets choppy on you, it's not the camera, but either your PC or your codecs. I only say this, because playback on my PC is smooth as silk. That was the thing that I found out after buying this camera. Smooth playback depends on the specs of your system. Playing the video back on my particular PC is smooth as butter. So can you elaborate on your comment? I'll try to post some pics for you guys to see. I took some yesterday that came out great.

Xphyle
xphyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 9:26 AM   #75

harold1066 wrote:
Quote:
Hybrid camera don't seem to be a big market here in the U.K. not to many stores sell themeven the online company I bought my 8900 for has stopped selling hybrids.

One probelm is the cost. the U.K can be expensive when it comes to electricals I imagine that when the GO-HD or the Z 300 D(if thats the european model) is available it will be a lot more than the $279 in the USA and you can pick up mini DV cameras pretty close to that price.
Actually I don't think the price is the problem. When Jessops had it (I noticed they just dropped the Aiptek 6800) it was around £80 which is quite comparable to the $150 cost of the MPVR here so there is a good chance that if by luck they stock the GO-HD then it will be quite reasonable.

Also I found they sell the Sanyo HD2 in Dixons for £395. They sell for about $6-700 over here so at least they seem to be using the exchange rate unlike the notorious PC companies.

I has long been known that the PC companies often do the UK over by doing a $ to £ match instead of using the exchange rate. That's just greed since effectively they are getting twice as many dollars as they would if they sold them in the USA

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 9:47 AM   #76

to fishycomics,

Indeed it is the Movie Maker of Vista which is different than theMovie Maker of XP in that respect that it is support HD.
What it produced all though is WMV not MOV anymore.

But it is able to import the .MOV. and also the performance to produce a HDWMV file is acceptable. For the video from xphyle which shows his house and later the cars it toke about 70 seconds. (My machinehas a Core duo2 E6600 @ 2,1GHz)

to xphyle,

My impression is that when you have been moving the camera across a scene the picture is not staying so crisp as when you did not move anymore. I would guess that the DSP calculating the videostream is running abitout of power when performing those calculation. This would also explain the slow autofocus.
It may also be that during the move you shoke the camera more than when you were focussing an object not moving (e.g. the stop sign).

I would be curious in another thing: Do the same turn but support the camera by a some kind of stand.

I would also be very much interested in a picture which was taken using the flash.

Thanks for your uploads. Looking forward to the pictures.

Nice children by the way.I've triedto figure out what they have been saying. But beingnot a native english speakerI failed.

Klayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 10:01 AM   #77

Klayer

thank you.

as for the flash. as a owner of the aiptek model, not the go yet? I can comment on the picture? the flas is of a larger size and can throw about a good 8-15 feet, anymore it is not the best?

previous model the 5300 was 3-6 feet, andyes only the face nothing more?

so yes we're awaiting a few snapshots here?

Vista well. Mom will be getting a new Pc soon, just need to decide?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 11:32 AM   #78

Klayer wrote:
Quote:
Nice children by the way.*I've tried*to figure out what they have been saying. But being*not a native english speaker*I failed.
Don't worry, even being a native English Speaker, I couldn't make out what they were saying either!

It's even funnier with my 22 month old Son. He will start talking and gesturing and yet I have no idea what he is saying half the time either!
You imagine him thinking "Why is it that my stupid parents can't understand anything I say!" :G
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 1:32 PM   #79

Hi xphyle,

many thanks for the nice videos you posted.

Can you please let us know, in which setting you took these videos ?

I just saw on the German website, ( I am a native German),
that there are 4 or 5 modes...

Is it possible to set the camera into a manual mode, so you can
control the contrast and brightness and sharpness settings ?

If yes, please try to lower the sharpness settings and try to
take a few more videos, so we can see, if the Jaggies problem
will go down.

The camera suffers also from the same bug that the Sanyo HD1 had...
It has this annoying diagonal jaggies problem.

You can see this best by watching the movie, where
xphylezooms onto the bigger green plant leaves at the
wooden pole in the street.

There where the green leaves have the diagonal edges, there
is lots of sharpening artifacts, called Jaggies..it looks like
bigger staircaes...

This makes the image very noisy, when you shoot fine details,
so this is a problem.

You could only avoid it, if there is a manual setting, that has
a lower sharpening detail, so the image is more blurred.

Could this be set this way ?

2. Please can you post a ZIP file with a few pictures you have taken with the camera to megaupload ?

3. Can you take pictures while shooting HD video ?

Is this possible ? This is said to work very well with the

Sanyo cams...

By the way, the Sanyo HD2 is much better in detail
now, they got away with the big Jaggies problem from the HD1,
but I wonder, if I should spend 400 to 500 US$ more for the HD2
instead of the Aiptek, just to have a few less Jaggies ?

Also the file size of the Aiptek is just half the size, so I could
record double the time of video onto the same chipcard !

Many thanks.

Regards. Stefan.

admin of www.overunity.com

hartiberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2007, 1:57 PM   #80

Hay Stefan,

I'll zip some pictures up and put them on Megaupload later today for sure and get back here with the link when I do. As for the sharpening of the video and so forth, I haven't messed with the manual settings of the camera at all.

It IS possible to take photos in HD Video mode, and is very simple. One button starts and stops the video, the other button takes a picture. You don't have to switch modes at all, simply push the shutter button whenever you want to take a photo. Push it halfway down to autofocus, then the rest of the way down when the the light turns green. Easy Peasy.

Xphyle
xphyle is offline   Reply With Quote