Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 3, 2007, 4:09 PM   #1

I received the GO-HD today from UPS. It arrived in a blister pack exactly like the one's used for the MPVR at Target. I'm charging it now and will be able to use it at approximately 6:30 PM eastern time. Look for impressions and maybe a couple raw videos shortly thereafter. All the best! ASK ANY QUESTIONS YOU WISH! I have read the owners manual from cover to cover.

Best,

Xphyle
xphyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2007, 4:16 PM   #2

That's great! Of course by 6:30pm I don't know if there will be enough light for there to be a fair trial of it's video capabilities considering how poor Aipteks generally do in low light. Tomorrow be sure to shoot outside in full daylight and especially of scenes with a lot of detail ie woodland vertical and horizontal lines, ie anything that usually gives MPEG4 cameras a hard time!

I look forward to those video samples.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 4:50 PM   #3

I couldn't wait. I had to record a video while it was still charging, so I stuck my 2 gig SD card in there, booted it up and set all the settings to max detail and took about a 1 minute video panning around my kitchen/family room. Video ended up at 34 MB and I ripped the card out and ran to my pc and tried playing the video from the card and it was a jittery mess. I guess with this bitrate you need to read it from the hard drive. So I dragged it over and watched it. So far, being inside the house, I'm pretty impressed. The size of the video when you are viewing it is the same as if you've ever download a 720P HD movie trailer from quicktime. Nice big image, detail is good at zero optical zoom. HOwever, I just want to throw out there that while I was recording I zoomed in to 3x optical zoom and back out to no zoom, and you CAN HEAR THE OPTICS ZOOMING during playback of the video. Not terrible, but you can hear it.

That's all for now. Check back later for more info. Maybe tomorrow.

Xphyle
Old May 3, 2007, 5:11 PM   #4

Congrads X?

enjoy the video. you have 2 batterries? so yes one can be pc charged , and the other external charged?

and yes a remote control? did you opt for the chargingdock sation as well?

Buy.com offers the plastic container? I believe if I were to Purchase Aiptek again I ask for "A boxed unit?"

1 I will not ask for you to take footage, compare etc? until you are settled in and rady to share?

2 if you need this topic or to start a new one with your review in here Let me know I'll edit out the posts , if others do not mind?

3. what i will request? that you upload to upfordown.com, or viddler.com

these two sites are "not flash" they are of 640x480 resolution on viddler and you should be able to load 720x540 there?

4. I also recommend you load around 20 sec clips, but they will tease us? so again it is your review that will be pinned to the hybrid when completed?

5. please rate 1 star for worse and 5 star for best ?

thanx fishyC.......

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 5:43 PM   #5

Thanks for all the advice Fishy. I'll try to do the board justice in my review. One other thing I noticed about the optical zoom, aside from the motor noise when using it, is that the image *SEEMS* to lose detail the more you zoom. That's something I expect with DIGITAL zoom, but NOT with OPTICAL zoom. I still have only that one video to look at, but I will put it through the paces tomorrow for certain and report back with my results.

Xphyle
Old May 3, 2007, 6:26 PM   #6

if the optical zoom, is used ? for example on my jvc 32x I notice a drop as well but yes it is a hell alot better than digital

so we're talking 3x optical and it will ben oticable for sure . wish I can comment if owned
Old May 3, 2007, 7:46 PM   #7

xphyle wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice Fishy. I'll try to do the board justice in my review. One other thing I noticed about the optical zoom, aside from the motor noise when using it, is that the image *SEEMS* to lose detail the more you zoom. That's something I expect with DIGITAL zoom, but NOT with OPTICAL zoom. I still have only that one video to look at, but I will put it through the paces tomorrow for certain and report back with my results.

Xphyle

I will look forward to videos in full daylight to do it justice. By the way, are you sure it was only using the 3x optical zoom and not doing a combined zoom? What I mean is that it starts off with optical and then switches to digital? I don't know how the Aipteks with optical zoom work, but most cameras will use the digital once the optical is used up. Of course I am sure you have already disabled the digital. As you say it's odd it would lose detail with only optical though.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 9:58 PM   #8

That's a good point. And I don't know the answer. It could be that once you use up the optical zoom, it adds on digital zoom at the expense of detail. I'll have to look over the menus and the instruction booklet to find out the answer. Looking forward to tomorrow to see the results. I'm also anxious to hook the camera up directly to my 50" plasma set and see what the resultant picture quality is like.

Look for more info tomorrow.

Xphyle
Old May 3, 2007, 11:13 PM   #9

If its like the Zoom DV, the auto focus takes awhile to refocus after using optical zoom.

Is there a zoom bar displayed on the LCD while zooming? If so, it should be in two parts - lower is optical. If you get into the upper part, you are adding digital zoom to the optical zoom.

Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2007, 3:30 AM   #10

I can answer that question;

and as well post the picture

yes it has a bar