Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 17, 2007, 5:31 PM   #1

First off, thanks Steve's forums for giving us so much info. It really helped make my decision easier. It turns out that Aiptek is right here in Irvine about 5 miles from my house! I put the order in Tuesday and it was on my doorstep today. Already shot some footage of random stuff an put it up on my Sharp Aquos 1080P Televsion and Holy Moly is it awesome. I'm getting ready to load the codec onto my computer to see if it hangs. I"ve been pricing out new processors just in case and it would be a minimal investment if neccessary. I just can't believe the picture quality for $250 and the little docking station is comes with is pretty cool too. Sounds great. I've actually got my Ipod Shuffle sitting on it right now playing music and it's great. I'm taking it to Hawaii with me! Now I just need like three 4GB cards so I won't have to bring my laptop. This setup is just totally james bond. I'll try to get up some pics and vids when I can. Thanks again Steve and all the guys who posted up to the main GO-HD topic that is up and getting hit like mad. Well done.

Update- Okay, I got the K-Lite codec up and running and it plays perfectly on my AMD XP 1400 (1.4Ghz) PC with 1GB of RAM. I guess it's all in the codec. Now I'm working on seeing what to edit it with (if I can) I'm sure Movie maker will lock up so I think I'm going to try Adobe Premier. Still can't get over the quality. The battery came fully charged so now I'm just playing with it. The docking station is great too.

To download this you're better off right clicking and saving the link and then opening it in Windows Media. Quicktime will just freeze up.

Sample video:

http://www.hansenstuff.com/FILE0017.MOV

Here's a sample picture knocked down to size in native color:

After photoshop auto levels

ehansen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2007, 11:27 PM   #2

Congratulationspostsomevideo!
mzdvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 11:31 PM   #3

Another great clip from the Aiptek GO-HD.

From what I have seen of the video samples so far on this forum, it certainly is one of Aipteks better devices that's for sure. After my PVR which had poor video quality, due to in my opinion, a design fault they should of picked up at the prototype stage, my faith is now beginning to be restored in Aiptek.

It looks like the start of much needed competition to the Sanyo HD camcorders which I think are a little overpriced now.

Don't get me wrong I think my Sanyo C40 is a great camera but when it first came out it was over twice the price of the MPVR yet I don't see a tremendous difference in the video quality. Similarly I have been comparing the clips from the Sanyo HD1 and HD2 with this Aiptek GO-HD and again I don't see a tremendous difference. The Sanyo's are a more refined device though and also they record sound in Stereo which is nice but as with my MPVR I think I'll put up with it's minor drawbacks until the prices equalise.

The video quality on this Aiptek is easily sufficient as a main camera for casual recording of kids and other fun stuff for which a regular camcorder would be too much bother.

These devices tend to be derided by the prosumer crowd (Just look at the review of the Sanyo HD2 oncamcorderinfo to see what I mean) but I personally think these devices are starting to come of age.

As I have said before, these are the new Super 8 cameras, though thankfully they are not silent film recorders nor are they limited to 3 minutes at a time :G
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 10:50 AM   #4

I've been impressed with the low light quality of video and photo although it's difficult to tweak the camera settings to get the right shot. Everything is 'auto' - I can see why this is difficult to use for the pro-sumer. I've got a Sanyo HD1a and a Canon G2 - I'll miss the manual settings.

For those wondering about battery life, I recorded a 56 min video last night and still had 1 bar left on the battery indicator! Documentation states only 30min but much better in actuality. (Subject was well lit; no zooming; just turned on fully powered and started recording)

dnakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 5:39 PM   #5

ehansen007
welcome aboard , if not mentioned?

1, Very happy you like the Go?

I am not able to view or comment on the video at this time due to technicalities of the pc (personal issues).

I do see the pics and they're stunning what a poser he is?

When you snapped the pics? the colour is off or blurred, that is what I see , possably it is me? sharpness is not there/
again awesome shots and review you got there.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 9:13 PM   #6

Can you please post a few unedited 5 MPIxel still picture shots
in auto and in manual mode to
megaupload.com
in a ZIP file archive ?
Many thanks.
I really would like to see the picture quality.
Regards. Stefan.
hartiberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 9:53 PM   #7

ehansen007 wrote:
Quote:

To download this you're better off right clicking and saving the link and then opening it in Windows Media. Quicktime will just freeze up.

Sample video:

http://www.hansenstuff.com/FILE0017.MOV

Many thanks for this sample movie !
I must say, the camera still has problems with the Autofocus, when you zoom in,
as we have seen in the other clips already posted,
but it also has problems with overexposure, e.g. on the feet and nose of the dog, pixellation on fast moving items, like the dog running and still the jaggies problem
at diagonal sharp contrast edges... and
a 2.4 Ghz P4 is not enough to play these clips without frame drops..

Can you please try to set the camera to manual mode and
play with the settings ?
Can you get then a better image quality ?
What settings can be made in manual mode ?

Can you please upload also a few raw JPEG directly from the camera
in 5 MPixel mode to http://www.megaupload.com ?
Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.

P.S: Try to use the firmware update from the German Aiptek site
www.aiptek.de and see, if the movies get better ?
Old May 18, 2007, 10:01 PM   #8

Hmm,
I just saw, they removed the firmware update, from here:
http://www.aiptek.de/index.php?optio...amp;Itemid=226

that was there still yeasterday.. hmm,
was it faulty ?
Old May 23, 2007, 12:52 PM   #9

Update:

I've taken more video and stills since my last post and I must say that I'm growing less enthusiastic about the product. It's still a neat idea but I think I was wooed in by the thought of HD quality at this kind of price. I mean you get what you pay for but every once in a while there's the hope that someone has resegmented the market with something truly revolutionary. However, I've begun to see the this camera for what it is and as one of the other members put it, a small, inexpesive camera that takes the leap into the HD world and will, in short time be replaced by something better. I do love the fact this it's all SD card based and very compact.

Till this time, I've been using a Canon SD300 and recently bought the SD800 and use this for both my photo and video. The image quality is stellar on these little cameras but most underestimate the video quality. It will shot 30fps at 640x480 and the newer model has stabilization as well. I've actually made quite a few movies with it. After shooting with both over the weekend, I'm leaning towards back my Canon as the do-all and here's why:

For video, the only time the Aiptek seems to shoot great video is when the camera is absolutely still. Panning has a bit of difficulty keeping up and, if the camera is moving then the some serious pixel-distortion starts to happen. Without stabilization it's too light to get a good solid picture. Low light shooting is fuzzy and the little LED's that are supposed to aid with this put a blue-ish hue on most subjects and blind just about everyone. They don't have the range of a halogen bulb either so I'm not sure how they are supposed to help. The sound is as good as most smaller cams

With the Canon, the video is not 720P but will do 30fps at 640x480 and when put up on a large TV it comes out just fine for what what it is. It also shoots in lower light, has stabilization and autofocuses much better.

With the Aiptek for photo, anything with the flash is pretty poor really and if it's moving in the day or night, it's impossible to get a good shot. Autofocus is slow, noisy, and has a hard time focusing in lower light.

The canon blows any other compact camera away in photo mode, and I've tried them all.

For the Aiptek editing is the other problem. Although I have upgraded the codecs, I still have a sound, picture sync issue and few editors can successfully edit HD and output HD. I'd also have to upgrade my computer to run most editors. I think it will be another 6 months till I catch up with the market or it comes back to me for functionality.

With the canon, output is still MPEG but it's not HD so I can edit with something as basic as movie maker.

I'm still deciding whether or not to keep this little camera. The HD stuff is very cool but it has to be funcitional. If I were to keep it, it would only be for shooting basic family stuff. I'll keep playing with it though. After all, Costco gives me 90 days!

ehansen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 3:38 PM   #10

How much does this camera weigh with battery and memory card?
xatled99 is offline   Reply With Quote