Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 22, 2007, 4:12 PM   #11

Well, I called Aiptek and told them my problem. They said they have not had any complaints as to the quality of the video and that they have no firmware updates for it. Told him the quality is not as good as the MPVR or the ISDV2 and he seemed a bit surprised. I told him I would play around with it somemore, but that I thought Aiptek was taking a step backwards with this camera. D1 sounds like a great feature, but if the quality is less than a VGA camera they had 2 years ago, whats the use of offering it.

I think the exposure algorithm they use is screwed up, especially in auto mode. It seems to over compensate for light levels and color levels as you pan the camera. Everything just seems muted in color, focus and sharpness. I am going to post some side by side comparisons on my website between the MPVR video clips I have on file and some clips I took today. Will post the links once I get them up. Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I should have spent the extra and gotten the Go-HD! Get what you pay for.

Dang, I forgot to ask the guy how to pull up the firmware version. The standard way the MPVR used dont work anymore. I pressed every button combination and nothing worked Thanks for the help guys!

jaggermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 2:31 PM   #12

So what's your verdict?? I've had 2 freeze up after I guess overloading the brains recoding in D1 w/ 2 gig card and playing with the zoom. just gets slower and slower until it locks. Have to remove battery to reset then you lose the file. ):

Might still keep mine and not push into the ozone now that I'm aware of how to sidestep that issue. Close up the file when it starts acting up!!

rtp
psycom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 2:36 PM   #13

could this be a sd card issue?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 3:36 PM   #14

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
with the card itself?? brand new PNY card. I'll format it and run it until it fills up. Will do the same without the card first and see what kind of times I get and if any problems come up. get back to you shortly with results.

Never used these SD cards before so I don't know what to look out for. Tell me what to watch out for in general and specific as to these Aiptek camera's.

thanks... rtp
Old Jun 9, 2007, 4:06 PM   #15

sorry I left out the info?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"1 As I researched and read other search engines responses? they say the newer cameras should use a higher speed card?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"2 We know Aiptek works well with a general speed card?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"3 now Aiptek may just be moving up a step, and this means we will need to upgrade to a slightly faster sd card?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"720p, and widescreen format will need a little more speed to run correctly?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"What i have found was not a crash , but when replaying in a card reader a slow stop and go. whileI reed crashs occure on cameras with slow cards causing jam ups and removal of battery?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 4:56 PM   #16

Okay... witout a card it records a good minute at the high rate. Am still running the 2 Gig recording and at 55 minutes and 3/4 power right now. It's on a tripod.

I have noticed the jumpy thing you refer to in the recodings that didn't get fried. I thought it was just my computer screwing it up. too slow of a card I guess.

It appears I need to learn about SD cards and speeds. Didn't know there was any difference besides memory capacity.

What would you suggest I use in the way of a 4Gig card? Brand and model if you got it... I'll go get one. If that makes a difference then it's kinda hard to knock a $150 DVR this size isn't it?

rtp
Old Jun 9, 2007, 6:36 PM   #17

I don't think it will take SDHC cards though I could be wrong, in which case you would be looking at non standard 4GB cards as the original SD spec only goes upto 2GB. Therefore you will need to buy it somewhere that has a good return policy as there is a good chance it may not work, unless you also have other devices that could make use of it.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 6:56 PM   #18

Actually the specs say SD/MMC 4 GB (max)
with 32MB internal with 16MB for storage
40 min video for each gig in D1 mode
100 min. in VGA
F3.0 lens

i believe i ended using up the memory before the battery. had one bar left and camera had shut off. i'd say it went for 2 hours. need hook it up to the computer and check the file size and see if it full.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 7:17 PM   #19

the site says it will use the high speed
http://www.aiptek.com/

ON THE RIGHT CLICK ACCESORY GUIDE THEN FIND IT under DV 5800 and others including the MDV CB
Old Jun 11, 2007, 4:25 AM   #20

psycom wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
with the card itself?? brand new PNY card. I'll format it and run it until it fills up. Will do the same without the card first and see what kind of times I get and if any problems come up. get back to you shortly with results.

Never used these SD cards before so I don't know what to look out for. Tell me what to watch out for in general and specific as to these Aiptek camera's.

thanks... rtp
yes you were correct. i picked up a scan disk ultra ll 2.0 gb and i could see the difference immediatly. panning was no loger smeared. have to give it a true workout but so far this 60x card @10 read and 9 write appears to be the fix. cuircut city for 25 bucks this week.

now aiptek sells a 133x 4 gb and it'll cost you about 68 bucks shipped. i would think the 133x would perform even better but that's nearly half the cost of the camera!

SAT. 6/16/07 UPDATE: It has a sync issue in ALL modes! This in the 5M resolution to boot! And it froze up during playback after stopping it to move to another file. Did it on the 4th playback. Had to remove battery. THAT has nothing to do with a SD card! The video quality was good in all modes on the camera screen. The zoom issue reappeared... it was slow again. Other day it was fine. All modes too. This was in the 5M resolution. In the 8M mode it certainly would have locked up again losing the file. At least on playback the file remained intact after it froze.

Upside was it remembered the settings and powered back up where I left off when it shut down normally. Never froze up while recording in the 5M mode but probably just a matter of time. ZOOM was slow! Holding it down it took a second for every tenth and got progressively worse.i This happened in all D1 VGA and QVGA.

The computer reads it as a DV8800N. Isn't that a MPVR? Those had a sync issue didn't they? I emailed Aiptek to see if there is a software upgrade for it. Had it not froze up when i stopped the "only" problem would have been the sync and touchy zoom. Picture quality looked good in all modes on the camera screen Really didn't see much difference. I'm sure it'll show up on a tv.

So where can i find a SPV HDDV 8800? Anybody? I need to return this.