Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 21, 2007, 9:29 AM   #1

I was at CVS this morning and saw a new Aiptek hybrid. Its identical to the MPV footprint, and its called the MDV CB. I picked it up because I saw the 720x480 at 30fps stamp on the box and could not resist. Paid $139. I just opened it up and really cant tell much of a difference from the MPV. I was just curious as to if anyone else here has played with one. I got it for my kids outdoor recordings, and from the limited testing, it seems really good. Just need a bigger video card for it. Anyway, I will give a review as soon as I have time to play with it.

Good things I like about it. Of course the D1 resolution, the 5mp sensor, cmos , the built in USB charger for the battery, and it INCLUDES A REMOTE!

Review to come shortly.
jaggermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2007, 9:35 AM   #2

I wonder if this is just another name for the DV5800:

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...;Store_Code=AS

Aiptek seem to love changing the name depending on where it's sold, the PVR/MPVR+ are just other names for the DV8800 for instance.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 9:52 AM   #3

Could be. I have not seen any info anywhere on the web about this camera. Only link I found was from a guy that built one into his hobby rocket to record the flight.

Well, I checked out the video and it aint great. Almost seems the sensor is somewhat out of focus. Not sharp at all. Another issues is the exposure. The VGA setting actually looks better than the D1 setting. The D1 setting is darker and actually will shift colors. I recordered the horizon and as I slowly panned, the blue sky would shift in color. Very strange. Also, even on a bright day, you have to increase the EV setting up to make the video brighten up. Gonna play somemore with it, but so far, I am not impressed. My old MPVR seemed much better. Way to go Aiptek.
Old May 21, 2007, 3:31 PM   #4

Triple the delight, love to see the defects hit our pharmacy places

Aiptek if you're listening get your act together
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 4:49 PM   #5
gdo

jaggermax wrote:
Quote:
Could be. I have not seen any info anywhere on the web about this camera. Only link I found was from a guy that built one into his hobby rocket to record the flight.

Well, I checked out the video and it aint great. Almost seems the sensor is somewhat out of focus. Not sharp at all. Another issues is the exposure. The VGA setting actually looks better than the D1 setting. The D1 setting is darker and actually will shift colors. I recordered the horizon and as I slowly panned, the blue sky would shift in color. Very strange. Also, even on a bright day, you have to increase the EV setting up to make the video brighten up. Gonna play somemore with it, but so far, I am not impressed. My old MPVR seemed much better. Way to go Aiptek.
Sounds like this maybe a PVR (8800) with some kind of updated firmware trying to resolve the 8800 video issues plus maybe a few upgrades (D1 setting) but instead, Aiptek rolled it out as a new model?

jaggermax, can you please maybe post a sample of the video? Also, can you maybe try to see if you can figure out what firmware verson it is running? Maybe see if this command works. Of course if you are not confortable trying this, please don't worry about doing it:
1. hit the "MODE" button to display the features camera and go to "PLAYBACK" you must have playback displayed
2. hold the center "play" button on the screen, and the "MENUE button, , Press both of them at the same time, do not let go.. within 3-5 secs the words will display

thanks,
gdo

gdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 4:51 PM   #6

Yes it seemed that Aiptek got off to a good start with their IS-DV and MPVR which I have or had. They then stumbled with their latest models and positively fell over with the PVR I had. The sad thing is the 5mp photos were great and the only problem with the video was it was oversharpened. Had they fixed that, I would have kept it but I guess they couldn't so they withdrew.

So far though, it looks like Aiptek just may have got their act together with the GO-HD. One can only hope.

Quote:
Also, even on a bright day, you have to increase the EV setting up to make the video brighten up.
It's the opposite on my MPVR. Down here in South Texas where the sun is very bright, it tends to overexpose so you need to bring the EV down a notch. Unfortunately it doesn't remember the setting when you turn it off.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 4:56 PM   #7
gdo

Sorry, here's the command (per firmware upgrade post)

1. hit the "MODE" button to display the features camera and go to "PLAYBACK" you must have playback displayed

2. hold the center "play" button on the screen, and the "MENUE button, , Press both of them at the same time, do not let go.. within 3-5 secs the words will display

Old May 22, 2007, 9:40 AM   #8

Very strange, I cannot get the firmware to come up. I entered the mode menus and scrolled to playback. I then pressed the center play button and the mode button at the same time and held for 10 seconds, nothing every happened. I then actually entered the "playback" where it showed the files to play and did the same. All it did then was try to play the files. Seems they changed their way of checking the firmware.

I will post some video this weekend. I have to say, the pictures are great, but the video is very dissappointing. Its all over the place. I put a 2 gig card in it yesterday and started recording my little girl outside on the swing. Video is not horrible, but it just is not sharp at all. Everything has a fuzzy edge to it. With the EV set to the middle in the sun, it seemed dark. When I kicked it up a notch, it started to wash out. Maybe I just need to play with it some more and get the hang of it. I pulled up some video i shot with my older MPVR which was stolen last summer and the video from it is much more sharper and vivid that the MDV. I am temted to call Aiptek to see if there maybe a firmware update for it. Also, it seems the VGA recording mode has a brighter picture than the D1 mode.

Last night, I connected a really good Sony CCD Color camera to the video in port and recorded some video at D1 and played it back on my TV. It was very noisy video and grainy. I could do the same with the MPVR and the video is beautiful. I would LOVE to try the Go-HD from what I have read here, but $300 is a bit to much for me right now. Anyway, I am in the process of building a website to share some of my other wildlife video clips and pictures and I will post a link to some of the test footage from this camera, uncompressed, so some of you can tell me if it's me or indeed, Aiptek has another lemon.
Old May 22, 2007, 10:38 AM   #9
gdo

Thanks for trying. Yes, I guess they changed the command on how to view the firmware version.

I don't think it would hurt to give them a call and ask them about this. I would think that after the PVR issue, they would hold off on releasing anything that questionable video quality but again, maybe they believe this is "acceptable" at this price range.

That would be great if you can post video. I am curious to see if this is any improvements over the 8800 since it seems like this model replaced it.

thanks again!

Old May 22, 2007, 3:32 PM   #10

jumping in here?

1 you do not need to hold the buttons down just hitthem togehter, and let go it takes a few tries, if not more? possably like you say changed?

2 mz-dv, had a 3x optical zoom and 720 setting? could this be a knock off hell yes, take away the opt's

3 have you tried areturn and exchange possably a defect? and yes we'll liketo see samples great find again
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote