Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 26, 2007, 9:51 PM   #1

Just finished it.. It's on google video right now:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3788&hl=en

I'm trying to get it on youtube but the filesize is too big so I'll have to recompress the original some. I wish I had the money to buy more of these things so I could make a video like this for every device, that way people could get an honest review of products without buying them first.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2007, 1:08 AM   #2

Yet another excellent review that you have done. The sound sync issue unfortunately has been a problem with the Aipteks although with the earlier ones such as the MPVR and IS-DV it has been less of a problem.

I agree that the quoting of the interpolated mode as if it was actually capable of capturing that amount of detail is annoying and I wish they would stop this nonsense though I have to say that Aiptek are certainly not alone in this.

I had the PVR which is essentially the MPVR+ without the D1 mode and I eventually got Aiptek to swap it for a regular MPVR due to poorer video. The video on the PVR was oversharpened and tended to pixelate unlike the MPVR and the IS-DV that I used to have.

If you can get hold of a regular MPVR from someone, I would be interested to see if you also have a different opinion on the video since personally I think the MPVR video is as good as many digital cameras. I have compared the video of the MPVR with the Canon A640 which also records in 640x480/30fps and I can't say that that it's really that much better. Considering the Canon only records 11 minutes and the MPVR can record 50, I can cope with a slight degradation for increased running time.

You only gave it 2 stars for the images yet I went had a look at those I took with my PVR and they don't look too bad too me. I would have thought 3 stars out of 5 at least. They are certainly much better than those from regular camcorders that I have seen although noiser than a regular camera with a CCD.

You said it is overpriced. While I would agree with you that they should have reduced it's price by now, when the first variant of this device came out ie the MPVR which was not that long ago, the Sanyo Xacti's were still nearly 3 times the price. Even now, if you want a device that can record nearly 50 minutes of mpeg4 video on a 1GB card, there still isn't a lot in it's price range although the mpeg4 recording Samsung cameras come the closest.

Still a good detailed review and I hope you do manage to review some more of these devices in future.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 8:17 AM   #3

:|Adric22.

Awesome review,

1. I see exactly what you mean, with your video , and comment, and appriciatethekind words before.

2 the aiptek you own is not the mpvr, mpvr+ but of a different one all together, if you have a model number located in the battery door a V-** that will tell a lot?

3 in your video Rgvcam did not mention "your battery door was ajar?".

4 this video a never too late , but hoping others will pick up on it? again excellent work..............
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 8:49 AM   #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFnjOzyccp4

it is finally up on youtube, and it is a little better quality.

Quote:
I wish they would stop this nonsense though I have to say that Aiptek are certainly not alone in this.

No, they aren't the only ones, but they seem to do it on every single product and they fudge the numbers to a far greater extend. Most other manufactures might fudge the numbers by 30% or so, but Aiptek wants you to believe their cameras have 200% to 300% more resolution than they really do.

Quote:
You only gave it 2 stars for the images yet I went had a look at those I took with my PVR and they don't look too bad too me

No, the images don't look bad, but the point I was making was that for the same price, you could buy a digital camera that took much better photos. I have seen some cameras priced around $50 that take better still photos and for $100 you can get optical zoom and other photo features. Remember, on all of the reviews I do, I always base the rating on how much the item costs, not neccessarily how good it is.

Quote:
the Sanyo Xacti's were still nearly 3 times the price.

I saw a solid-state sayno Camcorder in Best Buy a few days ago and it was $299. (I am not sure if it was the same model# here) in which case it would be 2 times the price. I bet it is worth the extra money.

Quote:
1. I see exactly what you mean, with your video , and comment, and appriciatethekind words before.
I actually can't remember what I said, I hope it was something nice.

Quote:
the aiptek you own is not the mpvr, mpvr+ but of a different one all together

Actually, I noticed the box actually does say MPVR+ on it.I think in an earlier post I had said I couldn't find a model#. The device itself still doesn't have one on it, but the box actually does say MPVR+. Actually, more specifically it says "MPVR+cb"

Quote:
in your video Rgvcam did not mention "your battery door was ajar?".
I'm not sure what you are saying/asking here.

Anyway, I am taking the camera back to Target today for a refund. I decided it wasn't worth the money. It is a neat little gadget and had a lot of potential, but there are just too many problems:

1) Audio/Video sync

2) Wavy video

3) irritating lockups

4) Unit fails to power up properly when opening the LCD, requiring a power off and back on most of the time.

And to top it all off, the person at tech support telling me he had never heard of any of these problems on any of their products and suggested I try a different SD card. (even though I had told him that it has the same problems even if you are just using the internal memory only) When clearly other people are having the at least some of the same problems.

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
I saw a solid-state sayno Camcorder in Best Buy a few days ago and it was $299. (I am not sure if it was the same model# here) in which case it would be 2 times the price. I bet it is worth the extra money.
No, but the cheapest Sanyo, the C40 was $399 at the time. You are correct they are now cheaper. In fact I got mine for $236 of amazon.com though you can actually purchase it for $199 now. Yes it is a much better device, but I wasn't prepared to pay nearly $400 for one.

I was merely saying that when they came out, there was nothing at that price point with that kind of video, but that I totally agree with you that they should have reduced the price by now. In fact when I bought my IS-DV, Target had it on special for $92 at the time, which I thought was a decent price.

I can now see why these devices (and even the Sanyo's) often get rated poorly. It seems to be that they keep their price too high for too long.

I also agree that support are pretty useless. The wouldn't admit there was a problem with the PVR initially.

Still it is good someone outside the hybrid forum finally did a full featured review.
Old May 27, 2007, 11:30 AM   #6

again on the inside battery place , there is a model number, they do not go by mpvr etc?

the IS-DV is the most bugged hybrid, but the better Purchased item.

the battery cover was not fully closed in the video did you notice that? not being picky.

and again an awesome review

I would return the hybrid, and Purchase a majr brand if unsatisfied.
Old May 27, 2007, 11:52 AM   #7

Not quite sure what you mean fishycomics? The battery looks secure to me?
Old May 27, 2007, 4:43 PM   #8

the battery cover, oh man you complain so many times, and you're goingto make me vdownload the video, and c/p a shot of the 1.5 mm space ofthe cover, aren't you?
Old May 27, 2007, 4:50 PM   #9

are we talking about the PVR+