Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 8, 2007, 3:20 PM   #11

TimUK wrote:
Quote:
Wow! In an amazing coincidence Sony have just released this camera which can capture 240fps for 3 seconds.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665156112
I guess you have now found your camera!

"Smooth Slow Recording

By increasing the record rate from 60 fields per second (fps) to 240 fps for 3 seconds allowing you to capture 3 seconds of fast motion and play the video back in 12 seconds. This is great for analyzing a golf swing or a viewing a bird in flight."
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 7:55 PM   #12

Looks like the competition is heating up in the highspeed camera arena:

Casio developing 300 fps CMOS based camera

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07...asio300fps.asp

Hopefully it isn't limited to 3 seconds like the Sony!

Old Sep 2, 2007, 9:51 AM   #13

This is looking excellent for my sports application. With so much data I am
perplexed as to how they are finding the bandwidth into the card even if
they have solved the capacity issue using the promised 32GB designs.

I am wondering if the new large capacity cards have a new specified
interface to provide some wide bus transfer? Or might this camera use
multiple cards and write to them in parallel?

TimUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:08 PM   #14

TimUK wrote:
Quote:

This is looking excellent for my sports application. With so much data I am
perplexed as to how they are finding the bandwidth into the card even if
they have solved the capacity issue using the promised 32GB designs.

I am wondering if the new large capacity cards have a new specified
interface to provide some wide bus transfer? Or might this camera use
multiple cards and write to them in parallel?
Remember the 300fps is just for 640x480 resolution not the full 6MP. They seem to list in the specs MJPEG, I guess because they don't have the CPU muscle yet to do MPEG4 at high speed, but if they could've used MPEG4, then they would only need a 6MB/s SD card. For MJPEG I still think they might still be able to use the very high speed CF cards as they can reach 40MB/s.

It may be that the Casio doesn't record straight to memory cards at all and thus will be limited by the amount of RAM it contains. Thus you may only be able to record a few seconds like the Sony one I posted. I really hope it's a bit more than just 3 seconds though!

Well it seems engadget.com have a hands on:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/31/h...igital-camera/

It uses SDHC so that rules out Compact Flash memory, but they still don't say how long it can record at 300fps for, and if it writes directly to the SDHC memory.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 12:33 PM   #15

TimUK wrote:
Quote:
The camera I want will have :
  • Very good lens withlots of glass [/*]
  • Good low-light sensitivity [/*]
  • SLR or optical viewfinder [/*]
  • Wide angle to 8x zoom [/*]
  • High frame rate (90fps) video mode,640x480+, for sports slow-motion [/*]
  • Normal frame rate video at stills photo quality [/*]
  • Big flash memory capacity; 8GB+ [/*]
  • USB webcam mode
Essentially I want to a good stills camera that can also do very good video. Does such a thing exist yet?
[/*]

Unfortunetly you need a really good DSLR, Nikon or Canon, they also have really good glass! I wish I still had my D1H. That was a great camera but I sold it to get the D1X. The D1H has the same size sensor os the D1X accpet its only 4 MP instead of 6MP on a large sensor proving excellent low light capabilites. It was used by a lot of pro sports photographers! You could easily get usable reasonably good quality pics from ISO 3200!!! Which is needed with really big telephoto or zoom lenses. The D1H could even produce useable pics at ISO 6400! But since I really had no regularly need for such extreme sports, I decided the D1X would be better for me, which could produce amazing pics up to ISO 1600 and usable up to 3200.

But to combine fast action low lighting stills AND video is no easy task!!!!!

To really accomplish this you need to carry a brick of a camera, higher end DSLR, and a higher end video, may be the HD1000?

There is simply no market to speak of for what your seeking. You will have to settle for a lot less to combine both, or go for two cameras.

I can't wait to seewhat the HD1000 is capable of. This may be good enough for most situations.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:32 PM   #16

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
But to combine fast action low lighting stills AND video is no easy task!!!!!

To really accomplish this you need to carry a brick of a camera, higher end DSLR, and a higher end video, may be the HD1000?
One of the problems is that DSLR's cannot do video due to their design, but that is not to say that you wouldn't be able to get a regular digital camera with a very good lens.

I think most of that list is slowly coming to fruition though not all in one camera ...yet... but as soon as we were looking for a camera that had a framerate higher than 60fps... along come a couple with framerates well above 200! So never say never as it's probably in the labs as you say that! The memory capacity has already been surpassed. They have had CF >8GB for a good while now and SD has recenlty surpassed that too although not widely available yet.

Anyone for Terabyte flash cards? I mean it was only a few years back they had 16MB SD cards. Now they have just released a 32GB one! Just think of the quality of video you could store on a 1TB one! *drool*. That's only another 5 doublings of capacity away....