Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 27, 2007, 4:37 PM   #1

The camera I want will have :
  • Very good lens withlots of glass[/*]
  • Good low-light sensitivity[/*]
  • SLR or optical viewfinder[/*]
  • Wide angle to 8x zoom[/*]
  • High frame rate (90fps) video mode,640x480+, for sports slow-motion[/*]
  • Normal frame rate video at stills photo quality[/*]
  • Big flash memory capacity; 8GB+[/*]
  • USB webcam mode
[/*]
Essentially I want to a good stills camera that can also do very good video. Does such a thing exist yet?
TimUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2007, 9:45 PM   #2

No, you need two cameras and that still doesn't cover everything. Video on a still camera tops at 30 fps, 640x480 although there may be one or two that can go 1024x768.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 10:50 PM   #3

As AC has said, you would definitely need 2 cameras. I don't think anything near what you have described will be readily available for years.

Also, no SLR does video.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 11:59 PM   #4

The Canon Powershot TX1 is probably as close as you're gonna get, at least for a year or two. Waiting can be so painful....:-)

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=14903
toshi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 7:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

If I were to go for two different cameras I guess my main problems would be witha video camera that does high enough frame rate for analytical slow-motion playback of brief sporting actions. The best I saw so far was 60fps and even then the image resolution was downgraded. Is there anything faster about?

What is the limiting factor that is stopping manufacturers offering such products; the flash memory write speed, the cache required, the video sensor output rate ... ?

I hope it isn't that the manufacturers are not seeing the potential here. After all, for most people there must surely be alimit to how much video you can watch of the dog or the baby, but to improvea golf swing or a tennis backhand, well that's a reason in itself to buy a camera; for me it's the only reason!
Old May 28, 2007, 11:10 AM   #6

You're asking the question in a forum that leans towards still cameras that may also have a video function. No still camera is going to beat a video camera at video. You might try re-asking the question in the hybrid section of this forum: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...orum.php?id=92but I really think you might get better answers in forums that specialize in video equipment.
Old May 28, 2007, 4:42 PM   #7

ac.smith wrote:
Quote:
No still camera is going to beat a video camera at video. You might try re-asking the question in the hybrid section of this forum...
Yes, appreciated ACS. I was torn about the most appropriate place to put this question. My feeling was that as I detected a convergence of still/videodevices happeningI opted for this group. I would a rather have a photocamera that does video than a videocamera that does photo. The former has better lenses too!

I am nevertheless intrigued as to why you say a still camera, having directed its image onto the sensor through a great lens, should not be able to be as well suited to the task of capturing video as any dedicatedvideo camera, particularly as flash memory has taken over from tape/discs and form factor is of little issue?

Old May 28, 2007, 8:39 PM   #8

A somewhat analogous situation. While 35mm film cameras began using two frames of 35mm movie film very quickly still film and lens became different because human perception is different for each medium. Likewise in the digital age the problem to be solved is different resulting in different lenses, sensors and most especially different programing for the processor that's behind the sensor. While there is the appearance of convergence the fundamental nature of the problems define a difference.

To the best of my knowledge no still camera does better than 30 fps and I don't think the couple of cameras that can do 1024x768 video do it at 30 fps so 60 fps at any resolution is amazing by still standards.
Old May 28, 2007, 11:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Essentially I want to a good stills camera that can also do very good video.
I think this is the holy grail for everyone. Well except those who have no interest in video. Having said that hybrid cameras are not generally known for their speed so you won't find it here :G

As said before on here, SLR cameras do not do movies due to the way they operate, so it would have to be a regular camera.

The 90fps rate is something that I suspect will eventually arrive in due course, probably sooner than we think, but I imagine the problem is the usual one of sensitivity as the faster the framerate, the shorter the exposure and the more light needed which needs a higher ISO, in which case the images would probably be too noisy to be worth having with current sensors.

Quote:
The Canon Powershot TX1 is probably as close as you're gonna get, at least for a year or two. Waiting can be so painful....:-)
It can only do 60fps in QVGA according to the specs on Canons Website whereas the Sanyo HD1(a) has a VGA 640x480/60fps mode. Unfortunately this seems to have been dropped in the HD2 replacement specifications though I am sure someone with the HD2 can verify that for me.

Quote:
What is the limiting factor that is stopping manufacturers offering such products; the flash memory write speed, the cache required, the video sensor output rate ... ?
I suspect in some lab somewhere it is indeed possible but not at a price currently that the market will bear. Remember Digital Photography is still in it's infancy compared to Film Photography so the best is no doubt yet to come.

Quote:
After all, for most people there must surely be a limit to how much video you can watch of the dog or the baby, but to improve a golf swing or a tennis backhand, well that's a reason in itself to buy a camera; for me it's the only reason!
I am sure there there are plenty of people who might say there must be a limit to how much you can improve a golf swing:G Obviously there is a much bigger market for family video, but I do agree a faster framerate device would be handy for nature video too, ie it would be cool for slowing down a hummingbird for instance!

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge no still camera does better than 30 fps and I don't think the couple of cameras that can do 1024x768 video do it at 30 fps so 60 fps at any resolution is amazing by still standards.
Still cameras yes, but the high definition camcorders such as the Canon TX1 and Sanyo HD1 & 2 all do 30fps at 1280x720 as well as the Aiptek GO-HD. If all you are doing is using it to slow down a golf swing, I am not convinced you need that the last word in optics for that. What you would need though is good sensitivity and obviously the fast frame that he is looking for.

I guess you'll just have to hire the BBC's nature department and their highspeed film cameras in the meantime :lol:
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 3:08 PM   #10

Wow! In an amazing coincidence Sony have just released this camera which can capture 240fps for 3 seconds.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665156112