Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 9, 2007, 2:00 PM   #1

I picked up the Digitron mpeg4 camcorder/camera at Canadian Tire yesterday. It's on sale right now for $139 CDN.

I'm extremely pleased with it. It shoots [email protected] movies to SD cards and it works well with my 2GB cards. Codec is DivX. Battery is an NP60 cell phone battery. It has a 3.2mp sensor

IQ is decent. It has image stabalization and the sound is reasonable for this type of device.

The tripod mount is plastic but I think that's not uncommon in this level of unit. SD card is not that convenient to access but for $139, who cares.

It isn't a model that is listed in the camcorder list. The unit is labelled DV169 in the battery compartment.

Anyway, if you want a cheap SD camcorder, this is a fun little unit to play with.
Tom Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:12 PM   #2

I was surprisingly happy with this camera from Canadian Tire.
However, the battery has lost its chareability and I'm looking for a replacement.
None of the battery suppliers seem to carry Digitron. Who is the parent company?
Where could I get a replacement battery?
H3ath0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3

Apparently, Canadian Tire is also selling JAZZ camcorder now as well:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...=1217903095625
Favelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:39 PM   #4

Not the first place I would've associated with consumer electronics with a name like 'Canadian Tire' ! :G

I guess those stores have somewhat diversified from their original purpose. I just can't imagine going to Firestone or Discount Tires here and finding that they stock consumer electronics as well!

In answer to H3ath0r, the NP-60 is a very common battery. My Jazz HDV178 uses this battery as well.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:51 PM   #5

Yeah, Canadian Tire has basically evolved into a WalMart-type store with many different things in it from home decor, paint, electronics, camping gear, plumbing, small appliances, and of course, automotive.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 9:50 AM   #6

Favelle wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, Canadian Tire has basically evolved into a WalMart-type store with many different things in it from home decor, paint, electronics, camping gear, plumbing, small appliances, and of course, automotive.
Yes that seems to be happening everywhere. Back in my native UK, I noticed the Supermarkets are now starting to turn into Walmart type stores as well. Well Tesco's at least. Sign of the times I guess.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:36 PM   #7

Yeah, I guess they gotta compete with the big box stores. Plus, the manufacturer's of the goods probably want their stuff in every store, so they sell it cheap.....
Old Sep 11, 2008, 7:44 AM   #8

I have a digitron DV169 and was wonderin if anyone knew where I could purchase a battery andcharger for it?
lilrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:52 PM   #9

Well look how many Canadians are talking about a Canadian Retailer.

If Canadian Tire has evolved into a WalMart Type Store does this mean we will see some Aiptek Camcorders this Holiday Season?

Anyone has a scope on that?

Regards Robert
RobMtl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 12:49 AM   #10

Canadian Tire has been selling similar hybrids for years now. I have regularly posted notes about this. The Source (Radio Shack) and TigerDirect also usually have a hybrid or two. Also Vision Electronics.

The thing about Canadian Tire's present offering is that they're promoting it in a huge ad on a glossy insert in their weekly flyer. I've never seen any Canadian vendor advertise a hybrid in such an expensive manner.

Without comparing pictures, I think the Jazz is the same camera. The Hybrid List has the Jazz DV169 listed as a Digilife clone, so I suspect the Digitron DV169 is the same.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote