Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 10, 2007, 9:17 AM   #1

I've been using a DigiLife DDV1000 here in Australia for nearly a year now and have taken many hours of movie in different conditions. I got it from K-Mart at a special price at the time. It has worked well and reliably and my wife likes it as its so convenient and easy to use. It works very well in lower, evenlight and most indoor situations. The small file sizes are great for editing straight into Windows Movie Maker too. Themain weakness seems to be a 'flaring' or vertical streaking ofobjects mainly out doors in bright light. I thought this might be lens flare but if I take a still pic of the same scene with the hybrid, it doesn't flare or vertically streak. Is this a problem with the mpeg4 encoding (a Zoran Coach chip) or something else? I have seen this effect on my old Olympus digicam in movie mode too and this only used mjpeg. My new Fuji S700 digicam ultra zoom doesn't suffer from this effect. Do any of the other hybrids show this vertical artifacting?

I think the DDV1000 does a good job for what it is and is so convenient.

Cheers

Rob
Rob Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:13 AM   #2

Vertical lines (bands) can appear on the monitor screen or portions of the display may have reddish bands when the subject being recorded includes bright areas, such as sunlight, water, snow, etc. The vertical lines (bands) or reddish bands will be recorded in the case of a movie, but not in the case of a snapshot. This is called a "smear" and it is due to the characteristics of the CCD. It does not indicate malfunction of the camera.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3

Just repeating what fishycomics said, the vertical bar or streak in videos is a characteristic of ccd sensors. It even happens to much better ccd cameras than the DDV-1000. I have one also, and it's a nice camera.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 2:01 AM   #4

Thanks for the info.

It certainly doesn't occur in movie mode on both of my Fuji digicams with CCD sensors.

Does this streaking also happen to CMOS sensors in the cheapie hybrids as well?? My son's Nokia phone with 2Mpixel cmos camera doesn't do it on movies altho the image is inferior in every other way c.w. the DDV1000.

Rob

Rob Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:11 AM   #5

ccd or cmos , it is the same.when I shoot and face the sun I get a black spot?, anda star trek beam?

also the polaroid I bought and returnedwas the whole video?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 6:14 AM   #6

sur ce model ddv 1000

comment connaitre la version du firmware ?

on this model ddv 1000

how to know the version of the firmware?
seeb is offline   Reply With Quote