Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:56 PM   #1

Got the GO-HD about a week ago and I've used it quite a bit. Here are some points I've noticed that are worth mentioning.

The date/timestamp gets reset whenever the battery is changed.

The LCD sometimes doesn't show anything when it's opened or shows just the overlaid icons. Resetting the cam by removing/re-inserting the battery fixes this.

Once when I tried plugging it into the mp3 dock which was powered at the time, it got into some sort of weird state in which it wouldn't turn on anymore. The battery which had been good up to that point seemed to be empty - not sure if there was some kind of short. With another battery, the unit worked though.

The cosmetic part of the zoom button (with the T and W) is really loose - almost seems to be coming off, but when I gently try to see if it will, it still seems to be attached to the actual slide switch. Kind of worried that it'll drop off sometime and I won't notice it. Seems to have gotten worse with use. If it does actually come off, I guess I could glue it, but that would make it hard/impossible to service the cam since the cosmetic part of the switch would need to come off when opening the case.

At the beginning I was pretty impressed with the video quality, but recently less so. Not sure if it's just because my wife shot some of the clips I'm thinking of and she didn't know what she was doing - mabe she covered up the focusing LED. I'll post again when I've done a few more, to report on this.

The white balance and other settings go back to defaults when turning off the cam. These should be remembered, IMO.

The shutter lag when taking stills is pretty slow. If you do take care to keep the camera still, the actual picture quality is pretty good.

When taking stills, really bright areas are washed out. A patch of sun on the grass, for example, is almost white.

Overall, for the money, I still think it's a pretty good camera. I'd like it though if the problem with the forgotten/reset settings could be fixed with a firmware update. The loose button is not so great after just a week.

Just as a FYI, I'm using a Transcend 8GB, class 6 card. I've also bought another two 1200mAh batteries for $9 total. No heat issues with them so far.

Adrian

tangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2007, 10:15 AM   #2

what/where batteries did you purchase?

capoeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:48 AM   #3

I don't recall exactly. I think it was an Amazon fronted small business. I just searched for "NP-60 battery" on google and went for some of the better prices. There are different capacities for this format battery - I think 1200 mAh is about the biggest I saw. Afterwards, I saw some deals on ebay where you get a charger and a battery for about 6-9 dollars. I bought a charger but no battery on ebay for about 9 bucks since the particular seller offered quicker shipping to Canada.
tangan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 11:59 AM   #4

tahnks,... exact information I was looking for... I ordered this camera and will need extra batteriessince i'll be in 8 day safari in Serengeti...
capoeta is offline   Reply With Quote