Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:19 PM   #1

I have been reading these forums about all of the different options of a hybrid camera. I am looking for a device that will take awesome pictures, but do video in a format that will allow me to put hours on Gig cards. So I am thinking this would be Mpeg. Anyways, other than that I am not picky. I have been looking at the Sanyo hybrids, and have read mixed reviews on these. Also, I have read about the Aiptek, but am unsure of the quality. Can anyone recommend a sub $1000 device for me? Thanks a ton!
blackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2007, 1:41 AM   #2

That price bracket will get you the best hybrids. Just check the Hybrid List for Sanyo, Samsung, Panasonic or JVC models.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:56 AM   #3

JVC has hybrid GZ-MG555 with 5 MP still camera in your price range.

http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio_g/spec.html
Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:06 AM   #4

Once you get into that price bracket, they are no longer hybrids in the same sense as the Aipteks anyway.

One of the problems with reading up on the Sanyos is that many reviewers are still biased against memory card devices becasue they equate the smaller memory size with poor or bad video, which is the reason you tend to get mixed reviews, especially a certain camcorder site.

Do you want hidef or regular 640x480 video? If you want Hidef then one camera you may want to look at though, is the Panasonic HDC-SD1 which can now be had very near $800 ie well inside your budget. It seems to be getting quite decent reviews and I have read the quality is excellent. It also shoots in true High Defintion ie 1920x1080. Put it this way, if I had had a spare $800 lying around I would have got one to try. The problem is that you only get 40 minutes on 4GB card in hidef mode.

It's only drawbacks are that it uses the new AVCHD codec, but only because of the lack of software to edit this new format. The other drawback is that I heard it's 2MP stills are not much better than other regular camcorders but then I tend to use these more for video that still images anyway.

It you just need 640x480 video then the Sanyo's are probably still going to be your best bet, otherwise you will need to go the Hard Drive route and look at the Everios. Stay away from DVD camcorders.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 12:00 AM   #5

I think I forgot to mention size is an issue. We want something the size of the Sanyos or similar... Thank you very much!
blackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:33 AM   #6

If size is an issue, then Sanyo or Aiptek are only manufacturers who offer small pocket size hybrids. I guess you can also consider Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD2 as higher end hybrid. I have been searching also pocket size camcorder to replace my Aiptek DV-5700 hybrid, it must have 16:9 video format and zoom and video can be edited inside camera, Sanyo HD2 is only one that I found. It is bit too expensive in my budget, so maybe I don't upgrade after all, there are too few cameras with these features.
Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote