Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 2, 2007, 10:46 AM   #1

I'm thinking about getting SVP HDDV-8800 but i have now idea how good is it? Help me if youhave any bad/good things about SVP HDDV-8800? I would like to see some recorded video by HDDV-8800 if you have? Please upload. Thanks guys.
elsu_fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2007, 5:43 AM   #2

Hello there elsu_fin. I've had my SVP HDDV-8800 since Februrary 2007. And enjoyed using til this day. The good thing about this hybrid cam is that it has a CCD sensor making picture quality really good a shoots a fairly good night time video in lit areas.I also like to usethe cam as my mp3 placer and it nice because it shows the ID3 tags of the song you play.

The bad thing about this cam is that it has an internal battery which can't be replaced with another one if it goes dead. my solution to that dilemna is that I have a car DC to AC converter to charge my cam when I on the go :G The pink tint is another bothersome effect you get when you record vid with the sun shining down towards that came. Hope someone can find a way to block the pink glare.

I do have a vid of my cat up on youtube. Here's the vid in D1 (740x480 resolution):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo48RlLptE4

And my pic http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5012177

Bukgaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:19 AM   #3

Thanks. I got mine and it worked very well. The video and stillpictureare good for that price. Thanks again
elsu_fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:37 AM   #4

Hi,

I bought an SVP HDDV 8800 the other day from eBay. I'm really impressed, very light, feels pretty well built, nice quality and pretty small. However, i've got a 2 GB Sd card and it says it'll only record just over 40 mins at D1 size. It seems that this is because it's saving the files as AVI, not MPEG.

Does anyone who has one of these know how to get it to record to MPEG format instead of AVI?

It says on the product page (http://www.svp-tech.com/8800/8800.htm) that it records in MPEG format but i've been through the whole manual and tried every menu option but can't find it. Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Will
willohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Does anyone who has one of these know how to get it to record to MPEG format instead of AVI?
It probably is recording in MPEG, probably MPEG-4 to be my guess. The fact that the file extension is .AVI is meaningless. the .AVI file extension is what we call a "container file." Inside of the .AVI there can be just about any codec imaginable. Try right-clicking on the .AVI file and getting the properties and look at the advanced section it should tell you at some point what the CODEC is.

Now.. if somebody would just post some sample video from one of these SVP cameras, that would be nice. I don't think I've ever seen any.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 11:16 AM   #6

Ah, i see!

Thanks for the info. I'll try to post some video after i get back from honeymoon.

Cheers

Will
willohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:03 AM   #7

Hi all...This appears to be a really great forum...I just bought the SVP HDDV 8800 and cannot figure out how to get sound on the D1 option...Can anyone point me in the right direction...Also, is there any way to get it to continue recording when the lcd screen is closed? Any insight is greatly appreciated...Thanks
johnnyred23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:11 PM   #8

I'm waiting to get this camera just to review it, but so far what I have read the biggest problem with it is the battery is not replaceable. Thats a major blow as far as I'm concerned. Also other problems reported are the mike position is on the bottom part of the handle, and the files are not compatible with a lot of well known editong programs.

But every one seems to be happy with the picture quality. I really can't wait to actually review it myself!
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 4:39 PM   #9

Well, as far as files not being compatible - I haven't found a camera yet that I can't edit the video. Even my latest purchase, the Sanyo CG6 might be trouble for some people. It uses .MP4 container files. Virtualdub, TMPGEnc, Adobe Premiere all failed to open the file. However, I found that "SUPER" will open the file and convert it to whatever I want. In my case, I convert it straight to a DV file (using the .AVI container) so that it can be edited in Adobe Premiere just like any other camcorder's file.

But I'm still interested to see the capabilities of the SVP, such as a sample video.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:40 PM   #10

Mine finally shipped today, so I should get it in 4-5 days. I bought it on ebay for $112.50 (highest bidder), new.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. Large LCD display sounds nice. I only seen the youtube review by Mark and read some customer reviews about it. Generally good stuff, minor annoyances. I just wish it had user replaceable battery, but the way these cameras run it may not be such a big deal.

I will be sure to post native files and youtube links when I get a chance.

As for the editing thing, Here's the utube review link for it, in case any one missed it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8VeNL_sgzs

I'm still not sure what he is talking about what the problem is with the codec. At first I thought he was referring to his editing software that he uses (Vegas), and assumed that was his problem, but watching it again he may mean just viewing it on the computer which I find a little hard to believe. I can certainly understand his complaint about Ulead being limited compared to Vegas! So I'm really curious about this.

I really don't know what to make of his review. Its well presented, and it's clear he really likes the Aiptek, but when talking about the SVP I'm left not really knowing any thing I wanted to know. Like how does the video quality compare to the Aiptek? Totally avoided. Still it was helpful! Even if geared for total noobs.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote