Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 19, 2007, 8:38 AM   #1

I don't know why the "Aiptek Go HD - I have one in hand" thread was listed as closed but this is for ongoing discussion of this great product. At the end of the last thread I mentioned that my flash wasn't working. I thought it was due to 1.5 firmware. But it was indeed just that the battery was low and flash wouldn't work with a low battery.
kech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:09 AM   #2

I'm still looking for a good editing solution for Windows XP for this video. It still seems like the best approach requires Windows Vista. My Womble worked but the files were increased in size quite a bit afterwards. What is the solution for someone who has not done video editing before (i.e me)?
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:43 PM   #3

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=92

post in the above topic so all will know that there is a view in here?

I r ecieved a email not from the site but personal will open when I get a chance
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 3:00 PM   #4

I received my GO-HD last week and I'm loving it! The picture quality and convenience of being such a small device blows my older miniDV camcorder away. My only complaint would be the audio which seems to max-out when the sound is too loud, but for the most part it's fine, and I can live with it.

I installed the 1.5 firmware (originally 1.1) but honestly didn't notice any difference. I've also gone out and purchased a compact NP-60 battery charger so I don't have to use the camcorder.

I'm currently testing out various video editing programs (Adobe Premiere Elements, Sony Vegas, Ulead VideoStudio) and I'll post my findings afterwards. My goal is to edit the original H.264 .mov file without losing quality and finally export it to DivX (720x400)so I can play it on my DVD player. Unfortunately it can't play HD-DivX, nor do I have a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD player.
eugene2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 1:47 AM   #5

I was able to edit using Windows XP Movie Maker by downloading the ffdshow
codec from:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

And downloading mp4cam2avi from:
http://mp4cam2avi.sourceforge.net/

With these I was able to avoid reencoding (Quicktime Pro always reencoded with
associated loss of quality) and use Movie Maker.

Unfortunately, Windows Movie Maker only saves to wmv format -- but on the
upside it is surprisingly good.

Tony
Tony_Duarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:50 AM   #6

I just got my Go-HD today, and so far I'm impressed by the picture quality. Shot some video in a nightclub in low light and the video looks great. The sound is awful, but it was extremely loud in there. I have been able to open the clips up in After Effects and Sorensen Squeeze, as well as the free MediaCoder. Mediacoder seems like it would be a perfect conversion tool for the videos, if I could figure out how to choose something other than xvid as its output codec.

One thing that worries me though is the record button. The only way I can tell it's recording is by looking at the screen indicators, there's no tactile feedback that I've pressed the button. Is it supposed to be that way, or should it move in as deep as the photo button?

xzevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 9:58 AM   #7

xzevlin wrote:
Quote:
I just got my Go-HD today, and so far I'm impressed by the picture quality. Shot some video in a nightclub in low light and the video looks great. The sound is awful, but it was extremely loud in there. I have been able to open the clips up in After Effects and Sorensen Squeeze, as well as the free MediaCoder. Mediacoder seems like it would be a perfect conversion tool for the videos, if I could figure out how to choose something other than xvid as its output codec.

One thing that worries me though is the record button. The only way I can tell it's recording is by looking at the screen indicators, there's no tactile feedback that I've pressed the button. Is it supposed to be that way, or should it move in as deep as the photo button?

Well to be fair, I have had that problem with 'regular' camcorders. I have thought I had paused the recording when I hadn't and vice versa. So I always make a habit of looking to make sure the recording counter is incrementing on any device!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:10 AM   #8

Kech

Can you post your copy of FW 1.5 so I can try eliminate any possibilities of fault on my side before putting pen to paper and blaming poor QA.

Whilsttrying button combinations, I seem to have discovered a Diagnostics Mode on the GO-HD to test basic functions.

Switch on, press "mode" for green screen,and press "Menu" and "RWD" (bottom button on screen) simultaneously for 2 sec's. You screen will display "FLASH", "KEY", "MOTOR", "NOISE",when you toggle the joystick. Press the joystick to select the function.

FLASH has settings of 1,10 & 3000 and should operate the flash at that speed. In my case with the faulty flash, I get 1>1NG. I presume means NO GOOD. Can someone with a working flash please test this and publish the results.

KEY indicates the function of each of the buttons i.e. FWD, PLAY, RWD, REC, MENU etc.

MOTOR seems to test thefocus drive function and gives OK at the end.

NOISE has settings from 1 ROUND to 10 ROUND and seems to recordsound files to test the mic.

Each of the above requires the corder to be switched off or battery removed to start with other tests.

Thanks

Gavin

hensberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:53 PM   #9

"Can I post a link to 1.5 firmware" ?

Here is the link to the 1.5 firmware update that was on the other (now closed) thread.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...92&page=19
Old Jul 20, 2007, 2:54 PM   #10

Tony - thanks for explaining that video workaround. I will check it out.