Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:22 AM   #1

After a week in the making, I have finished my review and uploaded it to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUVNbMDKE8o

I'm looking for a place where I can upload the 720x480 DVD-Quality version so that people can see the full resolution images.

Now if I could just get ahold of a Go-HD.

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:19 PM   #2

awesome review awesome

you should have added smart-zoom, and dcim left off points?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:21 PM   #3

I'm not sure what "dcim left off points?" means, exactly.

I actually wanted to mention several other miniscule pros and cons about the camera, but I didn't want it to go on for 20 minutes, besides youtube has a limit of 10 minutes and my video was over 7 minutes already.

Some things I didn't like, for examlpe, were how the MP3 player will not look at the file-names of the songs, only the embedded name in the MP3 itself. Not all MP3's have the name inside the file, so it would be nice if it would just read the filename.

I also meant, at some point, to show a video that had sound which was recorded through the microphone on the Aiptek device, but I forgot and didn't feel like adding it back in. That way people could hear the sound quality.

One good thing, it never locked up on me. The MPVR+ I had for a week locked up on me no less than 20 times.

I also noticed that sometimes the audio and video are out of sync like my MPVR+ was, but other times (for no appearent reason) it was perfectly in-sync. I can't explain that. However, my MPVR was always out of sync.

I also didn't like the battery door! Several times while trying to pull the camera out of my pocket or out of a bag, the battery door came off.

The smart zoom is an okay feature, I guess.. But I very rarely use the zoom on the camera at all so I didn't bother. Mainly, I'd be afraid I'd leave it zoomed and forget about it on the next shot. So I kind of like leaving tat feature off. witha 3 MP sensor, you'd think you should be able to zoom quite a bit without loosing quality. But for some reason, any zoom at all immediatly degrades the picture. I'd rather have a clearer picture with no zoom, that a chunky or blurry picture that is up close. I also just try to move closer to the object rather than use the zoom, even with a camera that has an optical. Mainly because zooming in and out is not very professional, especially while the camera is rolling. Sometimes they use it in movies in certain circumstances, but most of the time the scene just cuts to a closer view. Zoom=amatuer as far as I'm concerned.

I also thought about going into more detail on the various little gimmicks in the menus like picture frames and stuff, but I didn't think it was important enough to spend any more time on.

I think I may actually keep this camera. Originally I had planned to sell it on ebay after I was done reviewing it. I only paid $50 for it, plus I got a 512MB card along with it at that price. So it was a good deal. The fact that it has a tripod mount is monumental to me as currently it is the only portable camera I own that has one. I love my Fuji Finepix Z1 for taking videos and still pictures, but it has no tripod mount!!!! So there are so many occasions that the camera becomes useless to me! Sadly, I didn't realize it lacked that when I purchased it (the Z1)Once I realized it, I figured I'd get over it (especially since I had another camera at the time which had a tripod mount) but I've regretted not returning it every since. However, I understand the new Z5 actually has a tripod mount.

Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:19 PM   #4

All great points. did you read th review I had, and seen the shots I had taken?

this is a great hybridworth keeping ,

1.when I said DCIM folder in there when you take your last shot anddecide to delete, not format. the Number sequence keepscounting so when you add the next batch of pics it will not overwrite?

2 smart-zoom, and digital zoom are an Improvement for this model. , and for some reason when I zoomed in on a bill poster at 4-5 am wnter i am Amazed?

3 even a night shot of a gas station I was amazed?

Wished the Model the Icam, or IS-DV2+ had swival

4 Battery door yes RGVcam will comment for all, nothing you can do my mustek has a slide down even my casio a slicker designed door

5. Yes going overboard is a no-no, but hey make another one and just talk about the added stuff?

6. tripod on your major ever think of velcro. or something modification o fthe gorella wire tripodswhere you can have something grab like a hand around the camera-to- the tripod?

Hey seen m bike tripod Boomstick 360 offered me a job in a way they loved my idea? but theirs is AWESOME., I used a flag pole holder, and a icescraper LOL

7. If you decide on keeping ,ad you mentioned the Polaroid, the Polaroid is a lil bulkier Mising the MP3 feature and uses a larger avi file size i say hmmm polaroid due to its larger brighter screen? but hey

Keep the good work up we need poepl e like you and I to keep others well informed :|5 star rating on me!
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:19 PM   #5

Yes a great review. As Fishycomics says, we need more professional quality reviews for these devices.

I think these devices are primarily designed as a camera and the mp3 features are just a gimmicky afterthought that along with the fake interpolated resolution allow them to boast an impressive featureset without increasing their manufacturing costs. This is also probably why they are bare minimalist in function since they don't want to spend any more development time than strictly necessary.

It's a feature I never use myself. I already have a separate mp3 player and Pocket PC which are far superior in that function.

I think this just shows how far we have come from the days of the 'Television Camera' sized camcorder and it's corresponding mortage cost in that we are now discussing the video quality from sub $100 devices and how they are not what we feel we should be getting!! :-)

Hope to see that review on the GO-HD as well. As long as you can get one without constant audio noise. :roll:
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:09 AM   #6

Very good review, fair well balanced. Also enjoyed fishy's review too. I hope to be able to contribute soon too. I use to review digital camera and lens a few years ago but gave it up as every one and their mother was doing the same thing. But I think I may give it a go with these hybrid cameras, which I find addicting.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 5:35 PM   #7

Camera reviews can be found all over the internet for high-end devices, which I think is crazy. I mean, if you spend $400 or more on a camera, it is going to be good. Nit picking over the fine details is crazy to me. yet you have lots of sub $100 cameras that are vastly different in capabilites and nobody bothers to review them. Or if they do, good luck finding any sample video. a 5 second sample videoor sample still photo speaks more words to methan anything somebody cantype. So that is where I fit in, I guess. I make the reviews because nobody else has. I've done about 10 reviews now on cheap cameras, and some cheap MP3/MP4 players too.