Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:05 PM   #21

DynaMight wrote:
Quote:
Mine hasnt froozen much, but I wish I found these problems before because I bought mine on a visit to the US so cant take it back and it would cost an arm and a leg to send it back (Which I'm pretty sure they just screw me over and either replace with an indentically faulty unit or say it's perfectly fine then charge me)

Where are you from? I'm in canada also nd had to go over the boarder to get mine. You said you have yours on a Motorcycle also?

I'm in the toronto area, and will be going to Mosport for a track day on the 1-2nd. That's what I need the camera for.

I just called DXG and they said I can send tehm the unit for a firmwear upgrade but I would ahve to pay the shipping. I said forget it as I already paid 150.00 for the camera + 11 dollars shipping wach way (or more), that's over 200.00. I said I would return the camera and get my money back.

I'll be going after work, I just wish I could find a camera while I'm over there that can record AV in.

djeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:18 PM   #22

djeclipse wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics, and I see that the quality of the movie is actualy great, I never realized how much Youtube distorted things.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Actually, with youtube it is just a matter of sending them the right stuff. Most of the time that youtube looks bad, it is because of the manner in which it was uploaded. Granted, you're never going to be able to show full quality of a camera that takes video at 640x480, but you can get some decent video.

Here is what I have found works best. I always edit my videos for DVD resolution of 720x480. If I plan to upload to youtube, I take the final video and I resize it to 320x240 and de-interlace it. I use the de-interlace method where it actually removes a field rather than blur the two together. Then I usually compress it with MPEG2 using the highest bitrate possible, while still keeping the file under 100 MB (since they will not allow over 100 MB) So the file I upload to them is typically 99 MB. This way, they have the best possible source file available when they automatically re-compress it to MPEG4. As you can see in my youtube videos, there are rarely any compression artifacts. And since I always de-interlace, there are no interlacing artifacts either.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 12:39 PM   #23

I go Viddler LOl

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"the aipteks mpvr mpvr+ pvr are av input the is-dv's nope

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"try notto rush into getting ahybrid you'll just come out upset
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:19 PM   #24

djeclipse wrote:
Quote:
DynaMight wrote:
Quote:
Mine hasnt froozen much, but I wish I found these problems before because I bought mine on a visit to the US so cant take it back and it would cost an arm and a leg to send it back (Which I'm pretty sure they just screw me over and either replace with an indentically faulty unit or say it's perfectly fine then charge me)

Where are you from? I'm in canada also nd had to go over the boarder to get mine. You said you have yours on a Motorcycle also?

I'm in the toronto area, and will be going to Mosport for a track day on the 1-2nd. That's what I need the camera for.

I just called DXG and they said I can send tehm the unit for a firmwear upgrade but I would ahve to pay the shipping. I said forget it as I already paid 150.00 for the camera + 11 dollars shipping wach way (or more), that's over 200.00. I said I would return the camera and get my money back.

I'll be going after work, I just wish I could find a camera while I'm over there that can record AV in.
I'm from the UK, It's stupidly expensive to send items to the US from here, probably in the reigion of $80-100! for a tracked parcel. Interested in this 'firmware upgrade' when I spoke to them I was told that there wasnt an upgrade, I wonder if they've fixed the issues, the box was marked as 'firmware upgradible' which should mean a user can do it, I hope so because I wont be sending it back!

Yeah I have had mine on my Honda RC51 a few times, Heres a few videos: http://www.dailymotion.com/DynaMightSP1/1 original quality was better but the websites conversion screws up quality. I bought my setup from these people (that exact setup) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-480-line-...QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe worth asking how much just the mic is, I found the mic quite sensitive so had to wrap it in foam and make sure it's not in any place with wind blast (as you can hear by my vids) like most things it takes a few test runs to iron out the bugs
DynaMight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:31 PM   #25

most hybrids require a sd card formated in the pc then to the camera and done, if they're telling you different then I return and get a new one or ebay sorry for the bad outcome.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:01 PM   #26

DynaMight wrote:
Quote:
djeclipse wrote:
Quote:
DynaMight wrote:
Quote:

I'm from the UK, It's stupidly expensive to send items to the US from here, probably in the reigion of $80-100! for a tracked parcel. Interested in this 'firmware upgrade' when I spoke to them I was told that there wasnt an upgrade, I wonder if they've fixed the issues, the box was marked as 'firmware upgradible' which should mean a user can do it, I hope so because I wont be sending it back!

Yeah I have had mine on my Honda RC51 a few times, Heres a few videos: http://www.dailymotion.com/DynaMightSP1/1 original quality was better but the websites conversion screws up quality. I bought my setup from these people (that exact setup) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-480-line-...QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe worth asking how much just the mic is, I found the mic quite sensitive so had to wrap it in foam and make sure it's not in any place with wind blast (as you can hear by my vids) like most things it takes a few test runs to iron out the bugs
She told me that I could send it away tothem and they would update the firmware. I asked if they could send it to me and I could do it myself and she said no. I don't know if there is relaly an upgrade available, or if that was justa line they told me to get me off the phone.

The vids look pretty decent actually. I may just go and buy that bullet am as I realized now that the camera i ahve is mirrored so all left turns lok right, and vice versa. I don't know ifthere is a way to correct this afterwordws with editing software.

For the moneyI may as well just buy the proper cam. and the mic system. Thanks for the link.

Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:05 PM   #27

As for the DXG 521, I will be returning mine today after work and I have found the

Aiptek

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...;Store_Code=AS

At a store in the U.S. I found the in apitek DV5800 instock, soI'll grab that instead. I hope I ahve better luck with it.

Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:07 PM   #28

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
djeclipse wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics, and I see that the quality of the movie is actualy great, I never realized how much Youtube distorted things.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Actually, with youtube it is just a matter of sending them the right stuff. Most of the time that youtube looks bad, it is because of the manner in which it was uploaded. Granted, you're never going to be able to show full quality of a camera that takes video at 640x480, but you can get some decent video.

Here is what I have found works best. I always edit my videos for DVD resolution of 720x480. If I plan to upload to youtube, I take the final video and I resize it to 320x240 and de-interlace it. I use the de-interlace method where it actually removes a field rather than blur the two together. Then I usually compress it with MPEG2 using the highest bitrate possible, while still keeping the file under 100 MB (since they will not allow over 100 MB) So the file I upload to them is typically 99 MB. This way, they have the best possible source file available when they automatically re-compress it to MPEG4. As you can see in my youtube videos, there are rarely any compression artifacts. And since I always de-interlace, there are no interlacing artifacts either.
Thanks for the help,I will have to pic your brian on video editing software and methods after I get some decent videos as I said I'm a ocmplete NOOB when it coems to this stuff.

All I want ot do is video tape my track days/ races and stick them on the web
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:10 PM   #29

did you try Aiptek.com they're having a sale 99.99 for the mpvr?

being a noob is not a problem we learn from others. if I did not ask about this section none would have been here LOL so congrads when you recieve just ask away.....
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:30 PM   #30

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
did you try Aiptek.com they're having a sale 99.99 for the mpvr?

being a noob is not a problem we learn from others. if I did not ask about this section none would have been here LOL so congrads when you recieve just ask away.....
Ya I saw that, it is a good deal, but I need something today as I am leaving tomorrow for a 2 day evnt. I can't wait for shipping etc.

Is there anything wrongwith the Aiptek DV5800 that I should know about before ia buy it? I can get it for 149.99 in stock.

http://www.aiptek.com/Merchant2/merc...;Store_Code=AS