Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:12 PM   #1

Well, the deivce is very small, even smaller than the Aiptek IS-DV2 that I recently reviewed. The screen is much larger, of course. As far as the video is concerned, it is very good. Much better than any aiptek product I've used so far. It does not suffer from bent/distorted video. The photos are fantastic and hence I will not be requiring my Fuji Z1 camera anymore. In fact, i think the CG6 actually takes better shots.

I just took my aiptek IS-DV2 and my Sanyo down to the park and took some amazing videos of some wildlife and a big train that came by. Unfortunatly, when I got home I realized I had the Sanyo set in 320x240 the entire time, so that stinks. I'll have to go back tommorow and retake them, but who knows if a train will come by. I tried to take similar video clips on the Aiptek and then the Sanyo for comparison's sake.

I'll post a full review here in a few days with sample videos and pictures. And, my typical youtube review. But if I had to list off the things that make the video better, right off the bat, it would be these:

1) The sanyo does not suffer from bending/distorting video when panning.

2) the sanyo REALLY does give 30 frames per second, all the time.

3) the super-high-quality mode uses a bitrate that captures a lot more detail

4) The audio and video are properly synchronized

5) the low-light performance is tremendously better than the Aiptek. You can actually shoot video indoors and it looks great!

So it definately excels in all of the places that the Aiptek cameras seem to fall short. Granted, it cost $299...
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2007, 5:31 PM   #2

:|you're catching up to me on these cameras LOL. I am thinking of getting a kodak z1275?, holding my casio in my pocket as backup where ever i go?

I just got lucky on this shot colors all came out perfect, but 50/50 LMAO

10 am sun in behind at the 10 am spot

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 9:33 PM   #3

Don't forget the better STEREO sound. Ok the mics are not widely spaced for good separation but it still sounds better than a mono one and I think most camcorders suffer from mics not being widely separated anyway. I guess on a compact device there really isn't anywhere to separate them much anyway.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:01 PM   #4

Of all the hybrids I've tested, Sanyo is definitely the best, but wait it gets even better! The HD is even better, and now Sanyo has 7MP too!

Unbelievable quality, and built quality is to die for. I love the hard shell casing!

I have a couple of aipteks, and you do get a good bang for the buck with them, just do not go under 5MP!

Also waiting for my SVP-8800 to review.

I simply love these tiny pocket video recorders and love the flash media they use. Just makes video recording so much more fun and easier. I can carry my Sanyo in my pocket and forget its there!

Any way I'm glad to see this forum is covering these little gems! I use to visit this forum years ago and I'm back.

Did I mention how much I love these little cameras? Oh yea I did :G
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:14 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum Morepixels. The great thing about this forum is that we don't take ourselves too seriously unlike some forums I have been on, but that is not to say that we don't take these devices seriously! These devices are only going to get better.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the welcome! I know exactly what you mean too. I use to hang out at some of those other forums back when the D1 first came out, my first pro purchase. By the time I traded my D1 for the D1X I gave up on those forums. Certainly a lot of good people where there, but there were enough diehards there that made it rather unpleasant too. Too many brand wars, Oly verses Sony, Canon verses Nikon, bla, bla, bla. Bottom line, as long as your happy thats all that matters!
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:33 AM   #7

As RGV beats me to the welcome

any welcome aboard, it is what we make of it, again welcome in
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:06 PM   #8

I got mine for $199 at Wal-Mart.

SANYO's Web site appears to be incorrect on one point.

Here:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...g6/movies.html

"The CG6 also features a dedicated A/V terminal to which you can attach an external microphone (not included) to record movies with high-quality stereo sound."

I haven't tried plugging a mic into my VPC-CG6's A/V port, but it appears to be a port designed for playback to a TV or to headphones.

It does not appear to be an external microphone input, contrary to Sanyo's Web page.

Private Idaho

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
Granted, it cost $299...
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:25 PM   #9

funny I was there 7 am no price like that guss one must ask hmm great buy

yep the manual also shows errors in hd 700 they just revamp the books I bet