Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:53 AM   #1

Having spent a while checking some incredibly helpful posts on this forum, I've narrowed my handheld camcorder choices down to a Sanyo C6 or a CG6. Cost, portability and - for me - a rare dose of reality have ruled out a lot of the newer, sexiermodels. I don't need HD, and don't need the potential hassle of H.264 files, but I do need a tripod mount.

I'm mainly after a decent-quality 320 x 240 setting, as the vast majority of footage I take will be destined for YouTube, rather than showing on a PC screen or TV.

The CG6's WEB-SHQ mode looks to offer what I'm after - namely 320 x 240 recording at 30fps ... but theC6 seems to offer the same thing, but called TV-S instead of WEB-SHQ. Recording times per GB for each look identical.

Does anyone know if there's a difference (other than spelling) between the two?

A C6 (refurbed, admittedly), comes out around two-thirds the cost of a CG6, so I'd be interested to hear any other pro's and con's for either model to help sway me!

In anticipation, cheers!
CarlosFlowerday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:04 PM   #2

CarlosFlowerday wrote:
Quote:

The CG6's WEB-SHQ mode looks to offer what I'm after - namely 320 x 240 recording at 30fps ... but theC6 seems to offer the same thing, but called TV-S instead of WEB-SHQ. Recording times per GB for each look identical.
Good question! I have the CG6, luv it, but of course appreciate some of the finer advantages of the C6, like 60fps playback mode for TV, but I know TV is not a concern for you.

Only other difference (besides price!) is the LCD monitor size. The CG6 is a little larger. 2 1/2" vs 2". My guess is the quality of both are prob about the same, it will come down to features. And for you the anwser to your question.

You may be happy to know that the CG6 has internal editing too! A nice feature, nothing fancy but useful for trimming clips of unwanted material.

You may want to consider a refurbed CG6 and save a little more as I suspect a C7 is not too far off! Either way I'm sure your gonna be very satisfied!

BTW search ebay for spare batteries and car adapter! I found batteries for only $10 and a ac/dc adapter for only $15! New!
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2007, 12:42 PM   #3

Quote:
The CG6's WEB-SHQ mode looks to offer what I'm after - namely 320 x 240 recording at 30fps ...
Just beware of one thing. I'm somewhat disappointed with the CG6's Web 320x240 x 30fps mode. Mainly because there is too much compression artifacts. I think they used a little too low of a bitrate for this mode. Then there is another issue. The fact that youtube will recompress your video into their standard type. So there is always going to be some loss of quality when uploading. So what I always advise people in regards to youtube is to upload the file with as little compression as you can get away with while still keeping it under their 100 MB maximum size. That way when they recompress it, you don't loose as much quality.

Keeping that in mind, I would very likely use the TV-Standard Quality mode even for a youtube video and let them resize it down. Normally I tell people NOT to upload video in 640x480 to youtube because there will be interlacing artifacts. However, because the Sanyo CG6 records every frame progressive-scan, this will not be a problem.

To be completely honest, if my goal for a camera was only to use for making youtube videos, I'd probably go with an Aiptek IS-DV2, especially a used one off ebay for $50. Unless you plan to record indoors, then you may need something with better low-light capability. Of course, if money is no object, definatly go with the Sanyo.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 4:56 AM   #4

Thanks a million, guys - that's just the kind of info I was after. I'm leaning towards the CG6, I have to admit, with Adric22's advice on which setting to use ringing clear in my head. Refurbed CG6s are a bit like hen's teeth here in the UK, but at around £160 new, it looks like a bit of a bargain.

Thanks again - I'll report back when I've made the jump!
CarlosFlowerday is offline   Reply With Quote