Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:02 PM   #1
FLG

Sanyo Xacti HD2 at Costco ----$649.99
90 days return if not satisfied
FLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2007, 2:07 PM   #2

Oh is that all? It's on my wish list.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:48 PM   #3

I think it's time the Sanyo HD2 model came down nearer the $500 mark. This is one of the reasons I think they often get reviewed poorly because of the price. It's too near the Panasonic HDC-SD1 which is now only $100 more than the HD2 on amazon.com for a much better camera.

This would go hand in hand with the Standard Defintion Models now being around the $300 mark.

The CG6 I think is fairly priced at $299. I'd still like to see it lower, but wouldn't we all? The C40 is a bargain @ $199.

I think the E1 models are overpriced at $499 MSRP. Personally I think they should drop the halfmeasure 'weatherproof' CA6 model and price the E1 at the CA6 price level.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:42 PM   #4

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
I think it's time the Sanyo HD2 model came down nearer the $500 mark. This is one of the reasons I think they often get reviewed poorly because of the price. It's too near the Panasonic HDC-SD1 which is now only $100 more than the HD2 on amazon.com for a much better camera.

This would go hand in hand with the Standard Defintion Models now being around the $300 mark.

The CG6 I think is fairly priced at $299. I'd still like to see it lower, but wouldn't we all? The C40 is a bargain @ $199.

I think the E1 models are overpriced at $499 MSRP. Personally I think they should drop the halfmeasure 'weatherproof' CA6 model and price the E1 at the CA6 price level.
Well I agree I too would like to see the prices drop on these models, heck while we're at it can we please drop the price of gasoline too! :G

But as far as the HDC-SD1I'm not so sure its that much better if at all. I spent a good hour and a half at Circuit City checking out all the DVDcams and HDcams on a wide screen monitor. Luckily the sales clerk was just as interested in the results as me!

Much to both of our surprise every model we checked the samples on looked worse then miniDV! Only the top of the line Sony HD ($1500?) showed acceptable results. All showed waviness to some degree, average resolution, flanging and flairing!
The worse was from the dvdcams! Where my Sanyo CG6 smokes them!

Personally I wouldn't buy any of the HDcams on the market right now unless sony drops their price considerably.

Another factor to consider on these hybrids is the compact size and use of flash, and no moveable mechanical parts to wear the battery down with.

But I admit, I would love to see the prices come down, but lets face it, the same can be said for other markets too.

Look how long it took for DSLR's to drop to nearly every one's budget.

Updated:

Ok, I may be wrong about the SD1, didn't realize it was a 3 CCD cam, makes a big difference indeed!

Leica lens, SD media, all sounds very nice indeed. Sorry, I thought this was just another Hard Drive cam.

I totally agree with you now. I actually love it when I'm wrong in cases like this cause I usually learn some thing new!

There are suppose to be 25 merchants offering this camera for $659.99 according to this page,
http://www.lowpricedigital.com/item....asonic_hdc_sd1

includes 4G
HDSD! Which only records one hour of video, the only con I can find is it requires High Speed SD and 4 G. Buying a extra card will set you back almost the cost of the camera! $349! OUCH!
Old Aug 7, 2007, 9:18 PM   #5

Hehe. Well to be fair, the price of Gas is likely to only go up over time, while generally technology gets cheaper :-)

If I had that kind of money to throw around I would have purchased a HDC-SD1 by now. Usually flash memory card devices don't tend to attract glowing reviews at the best of times, but this one seems to be getting the thumbs up. Not only is it 3CCD but it has a higher HD resolution of 1440x1080. While 13mbps bitrate may not seem at first a large enough increase over the Sanyo's 9mbps to cope with all that extra resolution, the Panasonic uses the more efficient AVCHD/h264 while the HD2 uses regular mpeg4.

Also you can get a 4GB SDHC card suitable for this device as low as $40.

MiniDV will look better simply because it's a very lightly compressed format with a huge bandwidth of 25mbps as against an average of 3mbps for the Standard Definition Sanyos and Aipteks, 9mbp for the HD sanyo's and 13mbp for the Panasonic. Even allowing for the fact that mpeg4 is a much more efficient compression, 3mbps just isn't going to equal miniDV with it's 25mbps bitrate!

Of course I suspect the high bitrate of miniDV is more to do with the fact that cpu power back when it was first developed just wasn't available to handle higher compressions at a reasonable cost, than the desire to achieve the quality it does. The reason I say this, is because even the Hard Drive Camcorders have the space for at least 2 hours in DV format but they chose MPEG2 to give more recording time instead. Had the cpu power been available then along with MPEG2 I'd be betting they would have gone that route Too.

In fact I can think of 2 formats where they took the compression route rather than develop newer technology to fit more more into a smaller space. Both from Sony. One was the micro MV tapes which use MPEG2 and the other (while not a video format it still illustrates my point) being MiniDisc where they merely fit a regular CD's worth of data onto a smaller disc by using compression again.

I think at the end of the day though, the mpeg4/h264 devices are improving and the better ones are arguably already in the 'good enough' quality range for general purpose use.

They are certainly perfect for recording the antics of my 2 year son anyway.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:40 PM   #6

Thanks for taking the time to explain the compression and bandwidth problems, that really cleared up a lot of confusion on my part in trying to figure out why miniDV looks better then most other formats on the market, including the latest crop of dvdcams and hard drive cams. Its just frustrating to see tape out perform the latest and greatest technology!

I will be keeping my eye out for the Panasonic HDC-SD1 on ebay. Thanks a lot! Another gadget gets added on my wish list.

I really love the small compact size and ease of operation on these hybrids. I skipped right over the DVDcams! Considered the Harddrive cams. I own a few miniDV's, Sony PC110 and TRV900 (3CCD). I bought the PC110 because at the time, it was kind of on the compact side!

The first hybrid I bought was a no name toy for $69. I returned it the same day. It was a 3MP, and the most horrible picture I ever seen! I was ready to dismiss the hybrids as all being junk until I started reading about Aiptek, bought the PVR, below average quality as far as I'm concerned but at least I seen the potentual. Then I started reading about Sanyo! Sounded too good to be true. I found the CG6 at Walmart for $299, so I decided to take a chance, after all walmart has one of the most liberal return policies around! I was down right surprised at the difference! From built quality to picture quality, this was a keeper!

Only problem is now I'm hooked!
:G
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:27 PM   #7

I took a long hard look at the SD1 but decided against it. It has serious interlace noise on anything that moves. More so than other cameras like the Sony CX7. It also seems to have a softer focus so things never really look as sharp. But that's only my opinion.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote