Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:59 PM   #1

well i just got a nice deal on what seems so far to be a good hybrid. it usually sells for around $150, but I got it for $80 on ebay so I guess I will make a little review about it...

This is only my second hybrid, my first was the Aiptek dv5800 which i think is also known as the dv8800 and it is very similar to the mpvr+ (just without d1 resolution) but I returned it because of the poor low light shots and the annoying audio being off sync with the video

so after returning that, I bought the DV-DA1-VP

here are some of its good features:

-CCD sensor (very good low light video/pictures!)
-5 megapixel camera
-AV input (and output...)
-very cool sleek design
-built in lens cap (when you flip open the screen the lens comes out, when it is folded in it is tucked inside the camera)
-2.5 in lcd screen
-D1 resolution (can also shoot in VGA and QVGA)
-works as a webcam (a pretty good one too)
-removable battery

cons:

-shaking just a little while taking a photo will most likely make the entire photo a blur
-records in an mpeg-4 format but its a strange codec...I can import my videos into windows movie maker...but I use sony vegas (7), and it will not import into sony vegas unless i convert the video

examples:

http://media.putfile.com/test-92-76-67
(example video, taken in pretty low light conditions)
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7686/digi0045vf4.jpg
(example photo taken at 5MP but imageshack resized it)

overall I am very happy with my purchase and would highly recommend it!

by the way, this is my first post =D but i have been looking around this forum a lot and you guys helped me learn a lot about what to look for in a camera, so thanks!

wasserbrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:20 AM   #2

Not bad for $80! Gotta love ebay.

Your DV-DA1-VP sounds very similar to the SVP-8800, even looks similar down to the remote. It also seems to have trouble with Vegas.

I just purchased one from ebay and am waiting for it. Only thing I was not happy with was it has a internal battery! But the 3" LCD and slim design won me over, and I also got a good deal on it too. Just waiting for it to arrive.

I have the P-DVR, and am not happy with it. Love the features, but the video quality is below average. I will be returning it if I can. Dont remember if I had 15 days or 30 days? I hope 30! I am not finished with Aiptek! I know they have better models then the P-DVR. I aso have the Sanyo CG6 which I am very happy with. Wish it had a remote!

MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 2:58 AM   #3

Looks like the Digilife DDV-5120A and the SVP HDDV-8900. Both are also on Ebay, but I don't think you can get one for $80!
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 4:31 AM   #4

holds strong when placed to the sun or light

added note I appologise for my typing
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 6:22 AM   #5

Yes, that sample video is very impressive, especially considering you had that light shining in from those windows. Most of your cheap CMOS cameras would have gone black because they don't have the brightness range to handle that. Now, this particular video wasn't enough for me to make out for sure.. but it appeared as if this camera had sharper video than the Aiptek IS-DV2 and MPVR models that I've tested. It also looked as if it did not suffer from bending/distorting video on pans and motion. But your pans were very slow (the way they should be) so maybe the effect was just minimal. Most cameras these days under $200 seem to suffer from that problem, so I'd be surprised to find out this one doesn't.

Also, where was this taken? I saw rockets with european union logo on them. Looked like an interesting place to visit. I'll be taking a vacation in Europe in a couple months and haven't planned all my destinations yet - this one looks interesting. Where is it?
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:49 AM   #6

That seems like a bargin to me, the quality is pretty good for that price. I recently visited the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum and stood exactly where you took that film. I really enjoyed it but it was a long day.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 1:12 PM   #7

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
Not bad for $80! Gotta love ebay.

Your DV-DA1-VP sounds very similar to the SVP-8800, even looks similar down to the remote. It also seems to have trouble with Vegas.

I just purchased one from ebay and am waiting for it. Only thing I was not happy with was it has a internal battery! But the 3" LCD and slim design won me over, and I also got a good deal on it too. Just waiting for it to arrive.

I have the P-DVR, and am not happy with it. Love the features, but the video quality is below average. I will be returning it if I can. Dont remember if I had 15 days or 30 days? I hope 30! I am not finished with Aiptek! I know they have better models then the P-DVR. I aso have the Sanyo CG6 which I am very happy with. Wish it had a remote!

yes i thoguht the same thing, infact the svp and this were the 2 cameras i narrowed my choices down to. it even has the same little games as the svp! lol.

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, that sample video is very impressive, especially considering you had that light shining in from those windows. Most of your cheap CMOS cameras would have gone black because they don't have the brightness range to handle that. Now, this particular video wasn't enough for me to make out for sure.. but it appeared as if this camera had sharper video than the Aiptek IS-DV2 and MPVR models that I've tested. It also looked as if it did not suffer from bending/distorting video on pans and motion. But your pans were very slow (the way they should be) so maybe the effect was just minimal. Most cameras these days under $200 seem to suffer from that problem, so I'd be surprised to find out this one doesn't.

Also, where was this taken? I saw rockets with european union logo on them. Looked like an interesting place to visit. I'll be taking a vacation in Europe in a couple months and haven't planned all my destinations yet - this one looks interesting. Where is it?
good question, i actually hadnt tested to see if the video distorted from motion, so i just did a test and im glad to see that it does not! (unless im blind and i dont notice it : P)

heres the test:
http://media.putfile.com/wave-81
(by the way...in that video it sounds like im breathing really hard when im moving the camera haha...thats just a sound the tripof made when i moved it so fast

and i guess herbs just answered your other question but incase you didnt read it, i took this in the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum (washington DC) so i guess you will have to find another space museum in europe =p sounds like a fun vacation, ive never been out of the US

thanks for the replies 8)

wasserbrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 1:22 PM   #8

wasserbrunner wrote:
Quote:
-records in an mpeg-4 format but its a strange codec...I can import my videos into windows movie maker...but I use sony vegas (7), and it will not import into sony vegas unless i convert the video
I was unable to view your video until I downloaded the latest XVID codec. Works fine now.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 1:39 PM   #9

It probably uses the same panasonic CCD sensor that the svp uses. I did not see even a hint of distortion on your clip. I would hope not! But the P-DVR I have which has a cmos distorts even from the slightest movement!

I think it's just a 5MP version of the SVP 8800. Pretty decent quality for 5MP. It will be interesting to see how the SVP compares to this as clearly they are related!
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 6:48 PM   #10

Yeah, that second test looks great! No bending! That feature alone sets this camera apart from the Aiptek and others like it.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote