Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 10, 2007, 4:23 PM   #11

pvr review

MPVR+ review

MPVR review

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=92

MoreP.......

Maybe I should have just linked o to the PVR, and MPVR+ LOL I already made reviews and always welcome others?

When Target had these models and hitthestores, these are the times around a few weeks they first came out? so hoping that iswhat you got?

now I did mention D! is 720x480 made for widescreen viewing?

Aiptek thought it is best to start getting off the 640x480, andpsuh out the widescreen stuff?

As this was happening- I like to say- the GO-HD was being worked on, andPOOR RGVCAM, and I were the gunie Pigs- beta testers?

SO I personally welcome you Morepixels as the Newest Beta-tester of Aipteks stuff?

Never ment as an insult just fun.:G
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 5:23 PM   #12

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
MorePixels, when you say 'wavy video' on the P-DVR, do you mean on certain objects such as grills and horizontal lines etc? A sort of 'moire' effect?

I say this, because I had the PVR model from bestbuy which exhibited poor video quality and I had a whole thread buried here about it. I did some testsand comparisons with my other cameraand came to the conclusion that it was oversharpening the video. I was expecting it to be a firmware fix but it was never forthcoming. In the end I asked Aiptek to swap it for the more usable 3MP MPVR (not the +).

To be fair the tech I emailed at Aiptek USA was doign his best to get Taiwan to acknowledge the problem and I also sent emails direct to them but all I got was that it was the 'moire'effect and this was normal.I tried to tell them that it wasn't. I mean I know that all digital video cameras suffer from it to a degree and some more than others but this was definitely not normal.

You can see the distortion on this bus I filmed in Mexico on the grill using the PVR:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/hockford/videos/1/

As to the cost issue, when they first came out they *were& worth the $150 because there wasn't anything within their reach that did MPEG4. Remember we are not talking about still image quality which was easily surpased then by cheaper cameras. The nearest at the time were the Casios which were around $400 for their MPEG4 versions.

The problem is that they kept the price at $150 for too long and are milking it by releasing new models with basically the same video just with different features etc. so I agree they should be under $100 by now at least.

I think the reason they are still priced that high is that there still isn't a whole lot of competition in bricks and mortar stores. Of course we know where we can get better devices but the general public doesn't, so until the competition arrives in the regular stores I suspect they'll keep them there sadly.
Yes, thats what I mean and you did hit it on the nail, its definitely over sharpening! I considered that when I seen the softer focus on the mpvr+

The Sanyo CG6 is what we all would like to see, but at $299.99 at walmart, its still a little steep, and I think this camera is worth more like $199.99! But am not terribly put off by the price simply because you won't find any of these problems on it, and it really is very close to TV quality. Where as all the others I have seen are closer to a vhs copy of a tv.

What I would like to see is a pause button for recording! I mean if they can add mp3, voice recorder, games, and all that stuff, how hard would it be to add a pause button during recording?

Fishy, no worries, I am not so easily offended. I figured all this was covered before. But darn those noobies that keep bringing up old news :G

Hey, are we in agreement that the mpvr+ is a 5MP cmos? Because I suspect this is aiptek's "fix" for the pdvr over sharpening!
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 5:52 PM   #13

I was calling you RGCAM for one sec MorePixels?

I just went through all 18 plus pages and hmm site, must have deleted a topic

it will take forever in Image shack to find thec hips name

I want to say Zormax the chi Aiptek uses, and Toshiba for Mustek?

Normad was the erson who also posted the camera steps of an opened view

I wonder if they cahnge chips? never know unless onewants to void the warranty

I tried reviewing my videos buttoo Blurry for a close up LOL.

found his pics but no name or bad shot of pic Boo hoo

Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:39 PM   #14

MorePixels wrote
Quote:
Yes, thats what I mean and you did hit it on the nail, its definitely over sharpening! I considered that when I seen the softer focus on the mpvr+

The Sanyo CG6 is what we all would like to see, but at $299.99 at walmart, its still a little steep, and I think this camera is worth more like $199.99! But am not terribly put off by the price simply because you won't find any of these problems on it, and it really is very close to TV quality. Where as all the others I have seen are closer to a vhs copy of a tv.

What I would like to see is a pause button for recording! I mean if they can add mp3, voice recorder, games, and all that stuff, how hard would it be to add a pause button during recording?

Fishy, no worries, I am not so easily offended. I figured all this was covered before. But darn those noobies that keep bringing up old news :G

Hey, are we in agreement that the mpvr+ is a 5MP cmos? Because I suspect this is aiptek's "fix" for the pdvr over sharpening!

The Sanyo C40 was the bargain of the line. I have this model and it was in Radioshack for $199 for a while. Before it appeared in Radioshack, I got mine on amazon.com for $236. I would have got it for $199 on amazon.com had I not been an idiot and waited one day too long! I then had to wait until it came back down again but it took a whole week or more to get to $236 and I decided to get it rather than wait to see if it got to $199 which of course it didn't.

It has the same video as the much more expensive C6 at the time. The only difference was the C6 was a little better in low light but not enough to justify twice the price! The CG6 wasn't around then.

The only drawback is that it has a much smaller 1.5" screen and the autofocus can sometimes be a bit temperamental. I got it for my trip to the UK, so I could send video clips back to friends in the USA and it was a blast to use.

I am never going back to tape that's for sure.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:52 PM   #15

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
ok for any one interested in the native files here they are, all shot same time, same place. I will post ready to view vids too and of course more comparisons, but think I will limit my comparisons to the MPVR+ and SVP8800 as they seem to be closer
Thank you for the samples. I just downloaded all of them and checked them out. It is quite obvious the SVP produces superior video to the Aiptek models you have. In fact, I was hard pressed to tell the difference between the SVP and the Sanyo. It looks like I can definatly recommend the SVP to people interested in a cheap hybrid.

I am curious to see a comparison in low-light, though.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:17 PM   #16

Well don't be to quick to recommend it just yet. Mine died already for no reason. Just stopped powering on. Nothing works, ac adapter, usb adapter. Won't power up.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:33 AM   #17

here is the PVR firmare it is at your own risk to DL

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JKY9VOMD