Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:40 AM   #1

Not sure if this has been covered before, probably has been in various threads, so forgive me if this has already been done. Here is a comparrison between two almost identical models, the Aiptek P-DVR and the Aiptek MPVR+

I originally purchased the P-DVR for $149.99 plus a mail in $50 rebate bringing the cost down to $99. I was extremely unhappy with the quality of the PVDR and could not believe it was recommended so highly by some people. The reason for this is the confusion on my part. There seems to be different versions of this model, the PVDR being the oldest or original release.

The PDVR suffered from very wavy video which resembled heat waves. I found this to be unacceptable.

But after seeing other sample pics of this model I was beginning to question if may be I had a bad unit. I recently picked up the MPVR+, which I believe is the latest version. Main differences between these two models is the MPVR includes the D1 mode, and the MPVR+ has a internal charger. Also the video quality is different! Much less wavy effect! But at the cost of a softer focus. Probably achieved by different firmware.

The video quality of the MPVR+ is still below average IMHO, but not by much, and is acceptable!

Problems still exist, the slightest movement, panning, blurs video, has problems with picture clarity when there are bright spots and dark spots. For example, in bright or sunny days, shadow areas are dark. This is probably due to poor metering system.

Improvements are less video distortion when panning, and much less wavy effect, and no audio synch problems yet.

So I suggest you get the MPVR rather then the more tempting P-DVR to include the rebate. Even at $99, IMHO the PVDR is not worth the price. I would put the price of this model more like $60.

The MPVR+ on the other hand is a improvement. The quality is acceptable! Still IMHO it is not worth $149.99! I would put the price at around $80 to $100.

I will post sample clips of both as soon as I can to show u the difference in the video quality.

Again if this has already been covered, if a mod wants to they can delete this post.

BTW, there seems to be different versions of the MPVR, make sure you get the latest version, MPVR+CB, same price, difference being the plus version includes internal charging and you are assured of the newest version.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2007, 1:23 PM   #2

The MPVR.6 meg 640x480 res, MPVR+ 8 meg640x480 resMPVR+CB 8 meg 720x480 res(dv5800) Zoom -dv, MZ-DV

you mention is the same camera the dv5800 is a MPVR-CB

you mention the MPVR+ the same as PVR

Wal-greens - mpvr-CBsomehow is getting this as their branded hybrid, and Bestbuy as their own-PDVR

another model PK-DVR yep Cuircuitcity

now if you ask me ? the chip I wonder if they changed it firmware only tweaks the problem?

I tried loading from the orginal MPVR 1501 -to-3504 al different scenerio's same headachs

I even attenpted a Firmware with the IS-DV with the MPVR+ bios failure LOL

I steer clear of the MPVR+ or any 5 mb cmos sensor model of Aiptek to dark of filming, and grainulation

No deletion to a great topic Loved it
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 1:57 PM   #3

I have no idea what they changed on the mpvr. I'm guessing firmware because that would have been the easiest. It's interesting to see how they tried to remove the wavy effect, vids are a bit softer focus. This suggests firmware, but I can't say for sure. The PDVR was sharper focus, but too wavy. The mpvr almost no wavy effect but softer focus. This is probably the best they could do with the 5mp cmos.

Also it could be some internal image sharpness control that we can not change directly?

I agree, it seems this generation of even the 5MP cmos chips are not ready for prime time yet. The biggest problem is the inability to adjust picture in changing lightining, from open sun to shades. Shades to dark, which also makes indoor shooting difficult too. And even the slightest camera movement blurs whole picture. Rather then improve the cmos I think they will just end up replacing them with CCD sensors. I could be wrong, but I think the mpvr is the best quality you can hope for in the 5mp cmos they are using.

The day is still early for me and I hope to shoot some comparrisons later. I'm also expecting the SVP 8800 today. That uses a 6MP CCD. At least thats what they advertised.

BTW, where can we find step by steps on firmware upgrades? Thx
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:37 PM   #4

(just a lil confused) (lol)

firrmware for the MPVR 6 meg 3 mb cmos sensor model 1501 upgraded to 1707

You'r calling the MPVR a 8 meg 5mb cmos sensor and if you load the wrongfirmware to the incorrect model you'll not have a working device?

"MPVR+" 3100 to 3405 to 3501 these are the three upgrades

the PDVR if a 8 meg 5mb cmos sensor ? will be the same

The PVR 6 meg 3mb cmos sensor is the MPVR

you're telling me the MPVR is a 8 meg 5mb cmos sensor :?

I have the firmware for the models the MPVR 6 meg, and the PVR 8 meg

I preferre not to give out for one member Incorectly loading to thisexact reason? not knowing their model, and now has a dead camera?

above will be what the firmware upgrades are? what they do,

mpvr red eye webcam enhancement, and shuuter speed , what they actually did. removed the record icon, forgettingif it realy fixed the aud/vid issue?

false fix of aiptek staing it'll correct aud vid issues

Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:59 PM   #5

As far as I know there are no 6MP cmos, at least not on aiptek, only 3mp and 5mp.

please correct me if I'm wrong.

the MPVR+ is a 5MP cmos. It is in the spec sheet as well, same as the P-DVR.

Now they may call it 8MP or any thing they like, but the specs show it is a 5MP CMOS.

Are you saying the MPVR is a 3MP cmos?

I only have the P-DVR and MPVR+ both 5MP cmos sensors but with different video quality and attributes, which I question if it is a firmware or some thing else.

There is inconsistency in aipteks ads, it seems some times they call a 5mp camera 6 or 8 mp, I understand that is done with interpolation, but misleading.

But both P-DVR and MPVR admit in their specs that the sensor is a 5MP cmos.

So where are we on different channels?

BTW, I just shot sample vids of the pdvr and mpvr, and spv8800, and sanyo cg6.

Man what a wake up call! I will upload them soon for u to see.

First of all even though the svp8800 has a 6MP sensor, the quality appears closer to 5MP! Of course the CG6 smokes them all. My first impressions of the svp8800 is not that great. Build quality is a lot better then I expected! But image quality is not what I would have expected from a true 6MP CCD! Wait til you see!
Old Aug 10, 2007, 4:08 PM   #6

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
So I suggest you get the MPVR rather then the more tempting P-DVR to include the rebate. Even at $99, IMHO the PVDR is not worth the price. I would put the price of this model more like $60.

The MPVR+ on the other hand is a improvement. The quality is acceptable! Still IMHO it is not worth $149.99! I would put the price at around $80 to $100.
I agree. As most people know, I critisize Aiptek a lot for some of the things they do. But I actually do like the products they make, it is just that I don't think they are worth the money they charge for them new. I have found typically that the price these things sell for on ebay is about what they are really worth, which is often half of their retail value. So, if somebody wanted an MPVR+, I'd say "Great.. Nice little camera if you can get on off of ebay for $70." But I'd never tell anyone to spend $149 on one at the store because they could take than same $149 and go on ebay and buy a used Sanyo C1, C40, etc.. Much better quality camera. I'd recommend the IS-DV2 to anyone looking for a cheap video camera, as long as they could buy it for $50 or so, which is what they sell for on ebay.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 4:14 PM   #7

More I never mentioned a 6 mb cmos sensor LOL

I readit and re-read it nope neverdid sorry if i did?

Yes I am saying the MPVR (DV6800) DZO-V37 sorry its from my memory is a

6 megapixal, 3mb cmos sensor interpolated, what's tht bugs bunny and martian cartoon LMAO now

Adrec22 the MPVR sold for 50.00 brand new at Compusa nad again around60.00 at circuitcity last week

the IS-DV sold at 66.00 and the IS-DV was at a 119.99 lowest sold price 79.00 will hit the market at a lower price by X-max LOL
Old Aug 10, 2007, 4:22 PM   #8

I can definitely tell you the MPVR+ is indeed a 5MP sensor, not 3MP.
The only difference as far as I can see between this model and the P-DVR is the mpvr+ has D1, and internal charging.

I know nothing about the earlier mpvr. Sorry if I misunderstood you. I think I understand now, but can assure you the mpvr+ is a 5MP cmos interpolated up to 8mp, same as the pdvr.

I'm uploading the vids now to Megaload.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 4:33 PM   #9

ok for any one interested in the native files here they are, all shot same time, same place. I will post ready to view vids too and of course more comparisons, but think I will limit my comparisons to the MPVR+ and SVP8800 as they seem to be closer matched.

PDVR (5MP CMOS)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3MY7RGYB

MPVR+ (5MP CMOS)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QYLZTGUU

SVP888 (6MP CCD)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7G2G44SS

Sonya CG6 (6MP CCD)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N1A28PIF
Old Aug 10, 2007, 5:10 PM   #10

MorePixels, when you say 'wavy video' on the P-DVR, do you mean on certain objects such as grills and horizontal lines etc? A sort of 'moire' effect?

I say this, because I had the PVR model from bestbuy which exhibited poor video quality and I had a whole thread buried here about it. I did some testsand comparisons with my other cameraand came to the conclusion that it was oversharpening the video. I was expecting it to be a firmware fix but it was never forthcoming. In the end I asked Aiptek to swap it for the more usable 3MP MPVR (not the +).

To be fair the tech I emailed at Aiptek USA was doign his best to get Taiwan to acknowledge the problem and I also sent emails direct to them but all I got was that it was the 'moire'effect and this was normal.I tried to tell them that it wasn't. I mean I know that all digital video cameras suffer from it to a degree and some more than others but this was definitely not normal.

You can see the distortion on this bus I filmed in Mexico on the grill using the PVR:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/hockford/videos/1/

As to the cost issue, when they first came out they *were& worth the $150 because there wasn't anything within their reach that did MPEG4. Remember we are not talking about still image quality which was easily surpased then by cheaper cameras. The nearest at the time were the Casios which were around $400 for their MPEG4 versions.

The problem is that they kept the price at $150 for too long and are milking it by releasing new models with basically the same video just with different features etc. so I agree they should be under $100 by now at least.

I think the reason they are still priced that high is that there still isn't a whole lot of competition in bricks and mortar stores. Of course we know where we can get better devices but the general public doesn't, so until the competition arrives in the regular stores I suspect they'll keep them there sadly.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote