Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 10, 2007, 5:26 PM   #1

Hi all,

1st time poster, long time Steve's reader.

I had been trying to decide between the HD2 and the CG6, decided on the CG6 (for now) as we don't have an HD TV (yet) and also figure we'll wait for the price on the HD Hybrids to come down a little more (personally I think the HD2 is a bit over priced right now) so anyway I'm gonna to pick up a Xacti CG6 at my local Wally World and would like to know if anyone knows which 8GB SDHCcard works (best) with this camera (Wally only has 2gb cards)and who has the best price on them, also does anyone make a good belt case for this cam?

Oh and one more thing, are the DBL-20 "clone" batteries worth it, or should I just spend a bit more for the real deal?

Thanks all
Rotorflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2007, 5:42 PM   #2

Can't say about 8g cards, highest I have so far is 2, but I bought my spare batteries off ebay for $7 and they work great!

Man do u really want 8g? Think how long it would take to transfer!

The more I try other cameras out there the more I appreciate my CG6.

A lot of *real* thought went in to it! I love being able to take a still picture while I am recording video! Also in playback you can zoom in.

I just wish it had a pause button during recording.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:01 PM   #3

Rotorflyr wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,

1st time poster, long time Steve's reader.

I had been trying to decide between the HD2 and the CG6, decided on the CG6 (for now) as we don't have an HD TV (yet) and also figure we'll wait for the price on the HD Hybrids to come down a little more (personally I think the HD2 is a bit over priced right now) so anyway I'm gonna to pick up a Xacti CG6 at my local Wally World and would like to know if anyone knows which 8GB SDHCcard works (best) with this camera (Wally only has 2gb cards)and who has the best price on them, also does anyone make a good belt case for this cam?

Oh and one more thing, are the DBL-20 "clone" batteries worth it, or should I just spend a bit more for the real deal?

Thanks all

I agree that the HD2 is overpriced now. It's a great camera but as I have said before, I feel it needs to come down under $500 and I suspect it will since the Standard Definition Sanyo's in general were all near the $500 mark when they first came out, and I didn't think I'd ever see one near $200 anytime soon but I did and I bought it!

There is a thread in the Sanyo forum as to the cards that the Sanyos will accept. Generally they should take all the well known brands at least. I have several weird and wonderful brands thatI have used with my Sanyo C40 such as Adata, Kingston and ritek. All work. Having said that, sometimes you will find a certain capacity in a brand may be incompatible while the rest are fine.

Also you do not need to buy highspeed cards at all. The standard SD cards are more than enough for the bitrate the Sanyo's use, even the HD2! That's one of the great things about these cameras in that you don't need special cards.

I just got a friend a Kingston 4GB SDHC which works fine. Personally I think a 4GB SDHC would be plenty as you can fit 2 hours and 45 minutes at the highest quality which is more than enough recording time for anything. The battery won't last anywhere near that long anyway so it's not as if you can record that length continuously anyway. There is also the added advantage of not getting too large a card and having all your eggs in one basket so to speak.

To be honest I find 2GB is plenty and generally just use 1GB cards. Of course in my C40 I don't have the option of the larger SDHC cards anyway.

As to the case, I bought this inexpensive one from Target:

http://tinyurl.com/2j657v

I also recommended it to my friend who bought one as well. I find it's as good as the more expensive cases and has one more benefit in that it has no zip. I found a zip case scratched the top of my Sanyo C40. Due to the pistol grip design of these cameras, the top of camera is too close to the zipper in the regular camera case I got which is why it got scratched.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 6:51 AM   #4

Thanks for the info guys,

I guess I hadn't really considered the battery life vs card capacity, as I planned on a second battery, having said that finding 8Gig cards hasn't been that easy, so I'll likely just pick up a couple of 4Gig's (I already have a 1g and a 2g card from another camera)

I saw the thread on the Sanyo forum by the way, and while I didn't read all of it, what I had seen looked like it was based on the older versions (C4O etc) so wasn't sure how much had changed as far as the cards went (I'll read thru the entire thread when I get a chance)

rgv,

Thanks for the tip on the zipper issue with the cases. I'll keep that in mind when I shop!

One other question, When you recored video with this camera and stop shooting, and then restart, does it continue on from where it left off (like a vid tape would), or does it start againas a new file?
Rotorflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:13 AM   #5

Most sd card units close out the files,

good point is you can edit later or join all clips in with software you can even lock on certain models the files? but not on the hybrids yet:G

a taped unit you can easily record over the tape, andedit on the spot, the same can ocure butonly delete the full clip, certain models , yes you can edit your video clip on the spot

Even though this topic should belong in the sanyo section. it is still concidered a hybrid for here?

It nay be the most active section and at least we can offer help as well:|
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 8:21 AM   #6

Rotorflyr wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys,

I guess I hadn't really considered the battery life vs card capacity, as I planned on a second battery, having said that finding 8Gig cards hasn't been that easy, so I'll likely just pick up a couple of 4Gig's (I already have a 1g and a 2g card from another camera)

I saw the thread on the Sanyo forum by the way, and while I didn't read all of it, what I had seen looked like it was based on the older versions (C4O etc) so wasn't sure how much had changed as far as the cards went (I'll read thru the entire thread when I get a chance)

rgv,

Thanks for the tip on the zipper issue with the cases. I'll keep that in mind when I shop!

One other question, When you recored video with this camera and stop shooting, and then restart, does it continue on from where it left off (like a vid tape would), or does it start againas a new file?

As fishycomics said, it will just start a new file, but that's no big deal as you can just string them together and I prefer it that way myself, as I tend to shoot lots of short clips which are much easier to send via email if I should so choose.

As to the SD cards, just make sure you buy it from a place that you can return it, should you be unlucky enough to buy one that is incompatible.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 8:22 AM   #7

Rotorflyr wrote:
Quote:
Just like fishycomics said, all files are closed out. But the sanyo cg6 does include internal editing in the camera! Nothing fancy but allows editing out unwanted sections and joining clips. That may help a little. But your going to still need a software editing program to really make decent movies.

I would loved to see a pause button during recording too! I wonder if this is even possible? I don't see why not?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 2:45 PM   #8

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
I would loved to see a pause button during recording too! I wonder if this is even possible? I don't see why not?
I know its possible - my SVP 8600 has that feature. :-)
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 4:00 PM   #9

Old HACer wrote:
Quote:
MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
I know its possible - my SVP 8600 has that feature. :-)
Funny enough my Nokia 6682 cameraphone has this feature and I originally found out about it by accident! I am not convinced that it's as big an advantage on a flash memory device as it was on a tape device. On a tape device it's a must since it has to load the tape before each shoot, so keeping it running cuts down the delay. Of course it shouldn't be that difficult to implement so I don't know why they don't have it.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 4:15 PM   #10

Well I for one would appreciate a pause button for recording! I would even trade my voice recorder for it! :-)