Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:41 AM   #11

Cool looking camera, but as you say, the lack of a removable battery is inexcusable in a camcorder though. Also I noticed that they say 'high definition video' which is just as bad as saying it's a 12MP camera in my opinion. In fact it may be worse as it only records 720x480 which is not high definition!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:47 AM   #12

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Cool looking camera, but as you say, the lack of a removable battery is inexcusable in a camcorder though. Also I noticed that they say 'high definition video' which is just as bad as saying it's a 12MP camera in my opinion. In fact it may be worse as it only records 720x480 which is not high definition!
It is a blatant case of false advertisement as far as I'm concerned!

I can handle the misleading interpolating claims, every one is guilty of that. But IMHO they cross the line on this claim!

It even says High Definition in the manual too!

I'm sure a lot of people will buy it thinking they have a true HD unit.

One other thing I noticed, the ac adapter and usb adapter is identical to the MPVR!

hmmm...

makes you wonder how many manufacturers there really are making all these hybrids?

Sorry I hate conspiracy theories too but it does make you think.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:59 AM   #13

Oh I don't think it's a conspiracy theory at all.

I am quite convinced there are only a few designs that come from a handful, or maybe even one main design house, and are just rebranded since I have seen several case designs and specs that look far too close to NOT be a totally separate design.

You also see this with other areas of electonics such as mobile phones and of course 'badge engineering' is well known in the car world although not quite on the same scale ie the Toyota Corolla/Geo Prizm for example.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:23 PM   #14

Well if its not one thing its some thing else. The SVP 8800 is working fine now, and I am using it. But not my main computer caught a nasty virus and I lost internet access. I am to blame! I downloaded a exe file thru limewire. The results were removal of my taskmanager, internet access, and limewire won't stayshut off!

Obviously its a IRC backdoor thing or some wormhole trying to control my pc thru limewire. Its not limewire but a virus that uses limewire. I'm running AVG now on it but this can take some time, large HD.

The computer I am typing on right now is a 6 year old Sony desktop, with only 512MB of ram, and to make matters worse, its a xp upgrade from win98! Needless to say it's a wimp trying to do videos on.

Serves me right for downloading hacked programs, shame on me! :G

New discovery: the tripod mount on the SVP 8800 is made of plastic, not metal, yes, plastic threads. So be careful.

Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:37 PM   #15

Sorry to hear about the virus. I got one just a few weeks ago from a CODEC pack I downloaded. Screwed everything up for days until I eventually re-installed windows.

As far as the term "high definition" is concerned.. I am the total opposite on my opinion. The term itself is really more like an opinion than it is a fact. Now, if you say "HDTV" then that signifies a particular set of guidelines. But anything can be considered high definition when compared to a device of lower definition. Heck, I consider my Sanyo CG6 to be high definition compared to my Aiptek, even though they are both 640x480.

What I do not like is when they actually state a claim like 6 MP on a device that really only does 3. This is a blatant lie. Now my Sanyo CG6 advertises itself as a 6 MP device, and it actually does have 6 MP. It does offer a 10 MP mode through interpolation (which I would never use) but that is not advertised.

Yes.. I'm not a big fan of plastic tripod threads myself, and unfortunatly it appears that both my Aiptek and Sanyo have this. However, plastic is better than no tripod mount, and as long as one is carefull, it should be okay.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 7:32 AM   #16

Hd or near dvd quailty

The casio I purchased the EX-V7 is 720P 858x480 16:9 ratio HQW It is not goingto Film in High def, but "PLAYBACK" on a high Def TV and Fill the screen with less distortion. Now SOny has one and the ysay

View your Pictures through the high def playback.

So I believe that these Hybrids Will fill thescreen rather Produce a BRIGHTER, and CRISPER shot like you see on a PLASMA

do not get me wrong, but, I still think the Aiptek was when in my hand the Better hybrid over the cassio I own in resolution wise, If I hadothers then I say

others then the aiptek then casio

Plastic tripod plastic like metal LOL sorry but be carefull, when screwing it may bewise ifyou use one all the time to kee it on all the time.

I know my Olympuus had one and I used it al the time with my M.I.A. tripod
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 1:00 PM   #17

Just a update, getting closer to completing my review of the SVP-8800.

Just have to upload samples.

Out of 5 Stars I give it 3 Stars.

Ergomomics
It suffers most from very poor ergonomics. Its bad, really bad. Because of the placement of the mic, front bottom of grip! Makes holding it difficult with one hand. Also because its a little taller then most hybrids, actual handling and using the controls is difficult. I have to hold it with two hands to make any changes! IMHO this takes a lot away from the fun factor and ease of use!

Video Quality
Video and stills are above average thanks to the 6MP CCD, but there is a problem with the WB. You can quickly change WB by toggling to the right. however it just seems to be off. And there is no custom setting, so your stuck.

Audio
The audio is below average! Sorry, it just lacks the volume on clips. I'm not talking just about the speaker, which is also very low, even with head phones. It seems it does not have the best audio output [period]. Even in a aditing program you some times need to increase the volume.

Value
I bought my model from ebay new for $112.50, for that price it may be worth it, but I do not recomend it for full retail value $169.99+!

Pros
Large bright 3"LCD! Above average images and videos. Good battery life. Remote! Nice features!

Cons
Internal battery! Poor ergonomics! Poor audio output! Problems with WB.

Summery
I was at first impressed with its built quality which was much better then I expected! But then I noticed how awkward it is to handle, and the poor audio and WB. Image and video quality is better then average! And thats its stregth. Just too many cons here to really give it a good rating or recomendation. If it can be had for under $100 it would be ok I guess. Just be careful. Mine died the same day and had to be reset. I emailed the seller from ebay and never got a reply! It is very light and thin, but taller then most hybrids. I may actually resell it on ebay. My final words, close, but no cigar!

I will post samples as soon as I can.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:13 AM   #18

Wonder if the SVP is a Digilife replica or if some other comapny made it for SVP and digalife?

http://www.digilifeusa.com/product_d...?ProductID=108
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:41 AM   #19

SVP has a number of models that mirror Digilife models. My SVP 8600 is the same as Digilife's 6000 and Ispan's 960. The SVP 8900 is also sold as Digilife 5120A.

The real designer-maker ... who knows!
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:08 AM   #20

I would love to know who the manufacturer really is. I suspect its digalife, but just a feeling.

BTW, does your model suffer in WB? My SVP 8800 works good in bright outside and floresent lighting. But in any other lighting conditions or combos, is off. With no custom setting I'm stuck.

thx