Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:52 PM   #1

Well I got my SVP 8800 today as promised it was delivered to me in 4 days. I was impressed with the built quality, much better then I expected, and the volume is pretty loud on the speaker! And I don't hear to good!

But for a 6MP CCD I was a little disappointed in the quality of the videos and stills. It doesn't look like a real 6MP to me. There is a little over sharpening, and the color reproduction is no where near as accurate as the Sanyo CG6.

The ergonomics suck! Because of the placement of the mike and IF sensor you have to hold it with two fingers or else block the mike and sensor! Also the controls are not as easily reachable as other cams, but may be I just need to get use to it.

I got this camera off ebay for closing bid of $112.00.

I will wait until I use it some more and test it some more before I comment more on it. I like some things about it, like the 3" screen! But so far am put off the most on the ergonomics of it. Vid quality is not bad, just not as good as I would expect a 6MP CCD to be. More later!

MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:18 PM   #2

Well I only had this camera for a few hours and it died already! It will no longer power up. Not on its own, not with ac adapter, not with usb adapter.

It was working fine until I hooked up the usb adapter to camera and computer, folder opened, I clicked on folder to open, and power died.

Now I guess I will see how good customer support is if it even exists!
Old Aug 11, 2007, 2:35 AM   #3

Did you fully charge the camera before using it? If not, try giving it a long charge with the AC adapter.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 6:35 AM   #4

Sorry to Hear this ? was this Mentioned when you Purchased it no troubles?

1 Like OldHAcer says see if the battery needs a full charge?

2 see if you can remove the battery and then plug in, the battery may be the primary power source? The Aiptek IS-DV runs off the battery for pc while the MPVR runs off the usb cable?

3 remove the sd card andtry

Sometimes I just remove the sd card and load by the pc card reader? If you can get the camera vack to working order that will be your means of loading and dumping

it may be possable to reboot the camera by removing the batery that isa last resort?

again sorry to hear the troubles
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 7:38 AM   #5

The light does not come on when charging any more.

This has a internal battery so I can not remove it.

Wonder how common failure is with this model?

At least this happened right away, so I can request a refund.

Oh well, statistics happens :-)
Old Aug 11, 2007, 8:07 AM   #6

Wel possably the Bios,resistor, or capacitor, even a reverse polarity, got to the hybrid?

Sorry again. at least you got a few sample shots out of it?

Was this a ebay or direct purchase , etc?

wuld you concider a new one? andwas that person on youtube right on the $$$ when hesaid his hands covers certain areas?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:05 AM   #7

Fishy,

I bought it on ebay from a SF company sellers ebay name was clippercutie, 98% approval rating. We will see.

I would buy it again for around the same price I originally paid, $112.50.

My biggest problem with it was the ergonomics! I was going to give it a very low rating for ergonomics!

The mic is on the lower front end of the grip, and to make matters worse, there is also a IF sensor on the top front part of the grip making it verry awkward to hold properly.

Video quality was ok, but IMHO not what I would expect from a true 6MP CCD, still not bad! And yes it was pretty good in low light. So I was going to give it about average rating for image quality.

I was most impressed with the build quality, it really was better then I expected! Nice polished hard plastic casing. And the speaker I could actually hear it!

The 3"LCD was big but average quality.

The only other major annoyance I had with it was the internal battery! Really dumb if you ask me!

I'm really not so sure I would recommend the camera. Not because of it failing on me, but that certainly doesn't help it's case! But because I really did not think the quality of this camera matched what I would expect from a true 6MP! I think your GoHD smokes it quality wise! And that is a 5MP CCD! It is bright and clear, but a bit too surreal for me, didn't reproduce colors accurately. Granted I only had limited time with it! I simply was not "WOWed" by the samples I took. More like, "Ok".

I probably will not replace it and just ask for a refund. But if I have to get a replacement NP.

If you can get this camera for around $100 like I was able to on ebay, no more then $125, it may be worth all the headahes. But I see its selling for up to $176 on ebay and thats way too much IMHO.

So whats your favorite?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:28 AM   #8

MoreP. I was about to post and woll. my loss?Yes Lost , andstolen.

I placed mytripods outon my porch, I may have left out andforgotten them,but I am sure I misplaced both portables LOL? last fri, was the fireworks and could not find so the samegoes today I deffently searched all over, it was the postal person when I was given a gift, butthey toss the boxs LOL I am to blame no oneelse. sorry back to the topic

I say PASS

my favorite is super-hard I also want to have my handon every model even the one posted when I awoke this mourning LOL.

so again

my jvc economy 32Opticalzoom 3-5 hour battery hmm love itDo al my filmig for online clerity , and real time transfer.

my IS-DV by Aiptek, when I do road trips fits i nthe head rest. but I may be catering to the Casio on this? due to the iso night time

the aiptek MPVR sticks with me, maybe b/c of the style and realy gets the job done, and it'sASF format. so hmm I may re-purchase the Go again

the casio ex-v7 fits in my 5th pocket of the jeans quality wise it is commpitition to the go

Now I am favoring the casio reasons the AF can be turned off, and has many settings , sharpnes af/~ manual. 32 pic 10 movie modes, and more

I cannot realy settle for one, I am hesitant on another model of the Kodak z1275 if I can get my hands on one i will test and buy

I am , likeI said waiting for the Go t odrop in price and may re-purchase
Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:31 AM   #9

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
GoHD smokes it quality wise! And that is a 5MP CCD! It is bright and clear, but a bit too surreal for me, didn't reproduce colors accurately. Granted I only had limited time
Keep in mind that if you are talking about video quality, the number of megapixels on the CCD really has nothing at all to do with it. Your video will only be 640x480 anyway. If anything, adding more megapixels will hurt the video quality because it makes the individual pixels in the CCD smaller, so they are not as light sensative.

Keep in mind that some of the best professional video equipment out there today, cameras that cost thousands of dollars, only have 720x480 pixel sensors in them. Consumers continue to demand higher megapixels because even with still cameras they tend to think in their mind that "more megapixels=better picture" which is just not true at all.

Sorry to hear about the dead camera. I am curious if you opened it up and disconnected the battery if that would help. I know you said it is internal, but I'm sure some screws somewhere would allow access. Maybe you should save that as a last resort if you find out you cannot return it. My Samsung MP3 player went haywire one day when playing a movie. The same was true with it, the battery was inside. However, the unit remained on, just locked up. So I had to let it sit about 20 hours before it finally died enough that it reset itself. In your case, the unit is off, so it may require pulling the battery from inside. Are you sure there is no reset button somewhere? Some units have a small hole where you can insert a paperclip and reset the unit.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:40 AM   #10

Hey adric22, you da man! Yup it has a reset button! Tried several combinations with it, finally took! Thanks man! Back in business I think!

The manual did not include a trouble shooting section. Don't know how I missed that funny little button on the bottom of the camera that said "reset" :G